Wing clipping...yay or nay

I generally only clip one wing when I first get them/ when they are young. This means that they get slightly disorientated when they try to fly and slowing get discouraged from flying by the time the wing grows back (it usually take about 18 months). This also means that once the wing has grown back they wont want to fly but they still can if they have to for a particular reason e.g. a predator.

As many have said clip one wing to through the bird off balance. Almost all chickens can and will fly when given the chance. I have 2 Ameraucana pullets that fly really well. My Easter Egger hen can fly up to a 7 foot branch with ease and she weighs at least 8 pounds.

Just this last Sunday (4/29/18) One of my California Leghorns became spooked flew up to the brick wall and then hopped over. I had to go next door and bother a neighbor to retrieve her. They are all getting clipped this week. Period! For their safety! They are never out of the run without my presence.
I might need help with this. Husband says I will have to clip wing(s). Did youdo it or did you have someone else do it? Thanks.

I might need help with this. Husband says I will have to clip wing(s). Did youdo it or did you have someone else do it? Thanks.
Sorry this response took so long. I actually watched a few videos on Youtube on how to do it. I used to own parrots so it is the same way you clip their wings. I do suggest you have help-

I clipped my hens a few weeks ago by myself after watching a few videos & it was really easy. I waited until close to roosting time, caught the ones I could & waited for the others to go in the coop & then did them too.

Mine free range on a fenced acre with a livestock dog & some goats. I’d come home to a chicken over the fence two days in a row & my house dogs wouldn’t hesitate to kill one if they got the chance. So for me clipping is necessary for their safety.

I’ve got 4 week old TSC chicks now that have really started getting some air & came across this post when researching how soon to clip. They are still mostly in a dog crate...inside the coop at night & outside during the day but I have let them out for a little bit twice with supervision. I’ve seen one fly on top of something 4 ft tall. I would definitely have to clip them before I turn them loose with the other chickens & I’m hoping to be 2-3 weeks away from that.

Back
Top Bottom