wing clipping

thebrats

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Hi All,
Im a mummy of two Blue belle girls who are 24 wks today.
They are called Harriot and Henriette, Ive heard you can clip their wings which would allow me to let then have a free run on our garden.
Any information in this matter is appreciated.

Hope you are all having a great day.
carole x

Last edited:
Hey. I Believe To Only Clip One Wing So They Are Not Balanced And They Cant Take Off My Friend (Also A Poultry Keeper) Clipped Both Of My Hens Wings Which Still Keeps Them Balanced And Yeah I Suppose If You Clip 1/2 Of Their Wings And Your Garden Is Fenced In You Could Let Them Free Range !

This subject comes up at least weekly around here...lots of posts on it. Easiest answer is the explanation in the learning center on this forum, look up at the top of the page. It has diagrams and anything you need to do the job.

i do it to all my chickens you just take out one wing and you cut only the first 8 or so feathers they are called primary feathers and you just check them every few weeks to make sure the feathers havent grown back and the reason you can do this is so they arent balanced and cant fly long or high distances they can still fly short distances and can get about 3 or 4 feet in the air but can only do that for a few yards.

Remember, though, if you do this you will be taking away your chickens' primary means of avoiding predators that make it into your yard (like neighborhood dogs, for example).

I need to do this to 2 of my chickens soon - one made it to the top of a 6 foot fence today from the top of the spa. EEK. At least she decided to come down on the right side.

Check this page out. It has a lot of good information.
interview.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

Last edited:
I just wing clipped my Red Sex-link today. The biggest thing I learned (other than snip the right feathers, which was easy) is to have very sharp scissors!

Back
Top Bottom