Wing injury or reproductive problem?

HeidiN

Songster
5 Years
Jan 8, 2017
North Idaho
image.jpg
image.jpg
This afternoon, the kids found one of our young hens hanging by herself in the fenced run, while the others were out free ranging. (She had been out with them all day.) One of her wings is drooped down much lower than the other. When I gently palpate the wing/shoulder joints, I don’t notice any deformation between the two, just the one wing feels limp. It was a semi hot day, so at first we thought maybe she was just hot, but there’s definitely a difference in wing position.
She laid an egg this morning (she’s our only blue/green layer), but when I went back out to check on her and lock the others back into their fenced area, I noticed a shelless egg splattered on the ground right behind her, and egg yolk dribbles on her butt feathers.
What could be going on? Should we do anything to try to support her wing? I’ll go get a get a picture to help.

Sorry about your hen. I would be a little worried about possible Mareks disease, but just be observant, since it may not be. It could be an injury, or just dehydration. She seems to be holding the wings away from the body which is common in hot weather when they are trying to cool themselves. Her right leg is turned in in one photo—is that unusual for her? I would hold off on splinting the wing.

For the shell-less broken egg, I would give her some human calcium tablets—1/2 tablet daily, or give a Tums, or ground egg shell plus a small amount of cooked egg for the next 3-5 days to see if her shells become hard. Is she eating layer feed?

Offer he some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily, or put some electrolytes with vitamins in her water, and get her drinking. Mix some electrolyte water into her feed in a small bowl to make a watery mash. Cooked egg, tuna, are good to feed. Here is some reading about Mareks disease and some of the other diseases that can look like Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Her right leg is turned in in one photo—is that unusual for her? I would hold off on splinting the wing.

No, that was just how she was standing as she had started to turn around and never finished.

For the shell-less broken egg, I would give her some human calcium tablets—1/2 tablet daily, or give a Tums, or ground egg shell plus a small amount of cooked egg for the next 3-5 days to see if her shells become hard. Is she eating layer feed?/[/QUOTE]
I’m not even sure it was her egg, since had already laid one yesterday. Do they ever lay two in one day?

Back
Top Bottom