Winter brooding in basement?

aarronh

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Meadville, PA
So I have a random question for y'all...

I can't stop hatching - and as we know, this is a common condition among us BYC'ers
big_smile.png
So, at what point do you consider too many chicks to be keeping in the basement? And, now that cold weather is here, how do you adjust them to being under a heat lamp in the outdoor coop, without shocking them? Thoughts?

Thanks!
~Aarron

I am having the same problem so I hope someone can help with this, I have a bunch of fast growing silkies in a brooder trashing our spare bedroom and cochins due to hatch in a week and a half. Never thought about the basement.....
jumpy.gif

You can move them out side but they have to be fully feathered before you can. You basically do the same thing as after they hatch and you slowly lower the temp. All you have to do is transition them the the temp outside. How old are they now?

Lol yes, this is why I gave the incubator back to my friend!
lol.png
I couldn't stop hatching last winter, ended up with over 20 roosters to rehome. Finally got rid of the last ones a month ago. With that said, I have 6 chicks downstairs now after I swore I would never brood chicks again. I am leaving them down there with lights till Spring at least. In my opinion it is stressful enough putting them outside so I'm not going to add to it by putting them out in cold weather. I did that with my January hatch this year (they went outside at the end of March) and I lost quite a few of them.

I've got some now that are about 2 weeks old, more in the two incubators, and more eggs coming this week. I also want to hatch some of my silkies over the winter. I guess I just didn't know if it was possible to transition them outside or not. I know they need heat, etc., but was worried about drafts...
Quote:

I always start them in the basement - that's where my bators are. I just don't like chickens in the house, when they start smelling like chickens! I've got about 45 two week old chicks down there, and I'm already wanting them to be outside! haha...
Quote:

I am glad I only have 9!!!! I can't imagine what 45 smell like after just a couple days! I just put 6 outside in a rabbit hutch under our covered porch with a heat lamp and tarp wrapped around it, they have a bunch of straw and seem to be handling it pretty well. It was 42 degrees last night and they were happy as clams this AM but they are about 8 weeks old. I might have to move some to the basement for the worst of the winter months, fortunately its not too long here before it warms back up. My petsitter is going to love that at Christmas time!

I cheat and go with small numbers. My recent hatch was 4 Cochins, and I sold them as I set 24 other eggs. Brooder in the basement is empty. I picked the basement because it has the most stable temperature and isn't prone to fluctuation since this is an old drafty house. Husband went above and beyond on the brooder, 4 12/ ft by 2 1/2 ft with 3 ft sides, screened lid. Biggest one he's ever built me! Should get this batch of babies to where they have enough feathers to go in the "brooder to be" that was incorporated into the coop.

Another giant wooden box, this one set on it's side, and roosts on top of it. Creating a poo board and sub-adult brooder in one shot. Currently used for nesting. Needs a screen door stuck on the front. And a bracket for the light. Electric already run to a box in the coop. The opening in the box is away from the windows of the coop, there should be air exchange but not a draft.

Future "get out of my house" brooder....

P1040460.jpg

I have babies in my basement brooder most of the winter... I have a large brooder though and my basement never gets "warm"... I am in an old farm house and its cold down there os the best of days so they are under a lamp until they are fully feathered and then go out into the heated coop.... I keep it just above freezing and I have not had any problems

13904_dsc03544.jpg

these are full grown silkies

I have chickens in my basement! I have one the got sick and was just never accepted back into the flock afterwords, so she is a permenet resident of my basement (she has her own corner far away from the chicks). I plan on keeping all my chicks I hatch out in the basement until at least April, I just got to figure out what to do about housing. I only have 2 chicks now that are in a large tupperware bin
smile.png
I am going to need more space soon though, I have 27 eggs due to hatch on the 16th.

Back
Top Bottom