Winter ducks

Jackanddianesmom

Songster
Dec 3, 2019
North jersey, USA
Hi I'm in north jersey, and our ducks have been outside for about 5 months now. They haven't had cold weather outside yet and I just wanna do my best to keep them comfortable and happy! It's already getting pretty cold here so I was wondering if anyone has tips,tricks or suggestions for winter duck parents. I have 2 pekins that are 1 year old and a cayuga and kakhi Campbell that are 7 months old. They're pen is half roofed and half open and they're coop is roofed and off the cold ground a few inches, but not very big and spacious, it's just for sleeping. Im nervous for a heated water bowl bc the ones I've seen don't look too safe for them. Any suggestions will help, thanks in advance!

Make sure they're have ample space to get out of the wind! They can handle cold down to about 20F well. A nice coop that can be closed at night when it's cold with a thick bed of straw is best. It doesn't need to be large, but should be well ventilated and without drafts.

Make sure they're have ample space to get out of the wind! They can handle cold down to about 20F well. A nice coop that can be closed at night when it's cold with a thick bed of straw is best. It doesn't need to be large, but should be well ventilated and without drafts.
They're coop is good I think, it has pine shavings and its ventilated and closed at night. I feel bad for They're feet walking around on snow, or like it is right now rainy and wet and the cold ground. If it does get under 20f what would be the appropriate things to do? Also is that with a wind chill or without because it can get really cold sometimes.

They're coop is good I think, it has pine shavings and its ventilated and closed at night. I feel bad for They're feet walking around on snow, or like it is right now rainy and wet and the cold ground. If it does get under 20f what would be the appropriate things to do? Also is that with a wind chill or without because it can get really cold sometimes.

It's all about providing a place where they can be out of the windchill during the day if they want. I would make sure that they have access to the coop during the day on cold days as they might want to stay in there. And if you can use a reinforced tarp to shelter a portion of the run, it would make it easier for them to get out of the wind when they want to.

They don't mind walking around on snow and as long as they have a place they can get away from it, you should be fine.

I put straw down in paths in their run and a thick layer under those black rubber feed tubs which I use for water for them. They do just fine in really cold temps as long as they have protection from wind and somewhere to pick their feet up off the cold ground. Often I’ll see mine laying on the straw in the sun with their feet tucked up into their down, happy as can be, even if it’s -30 C. :) they’re extremely hardy, although lightweight breeds, young and old ducks, and those unused to cold temps not as much.
I had a plastic doghouse out in the run last winter with straw in it in addition to their coop, and they spent most of their day split between the dog house when the wind picked up, and out puttering around in their run.

I put straw down in paths in their run and a thick layer under those black rubber feed tubs which I use for water for them. They do just fine in really cold temps as long as they have protection from wind and somewhere to pick their feet up off the cold ground. Often I’ll see mine laying on the straw in the sun with their feet tucked up into their down, happy as can be, even if it’s -30 C. :) they’re extremely hardy, although lightweight breeds, young and old ducks, and those unused to cold temps not as much.
I had a plastic doghouse out in the run last winter with straw in it in addition to their coop, and they spent most of their day split between the dog house when the wind picked up, and out puttering around in their run.

Trisseh, I know I am coming back to a post from months ago but are those doghouses enough through the winter? This is what we've set up, doghouses in an enclosed run with a solid roof, but now I am questioning myself. We're supposed to get down to 5F tonight after a Nor'easter yesterday; I wrapped 3 sides of the run with tarps to keep the wind out but honestly the ducks don't seem interested in their doghouses, just laying out on the frozen ground - though I know they've been in them before.

Trisseh, I know I am coming back to a post from months ago but are those doghouses enough through the winter? This is what we've set up, doghouses in an enclosed run with a solid roof, but now I am questioning myself. We're supposed to get down to 5F tonight after a Nor'easter yesterday; I wrapped 3 sides of the run with tarps to keep the wind out but honestly the ducks don't seem interested in their doghouses, just laying out on the frozen ground - though I know they've been in them before.
I haven’t had any issues with them not knowing their own limits. :) I would say your ducks feel just fine out there without the wind blowing on them. 5F isn’t really all that cold; unless it’s really damp or the wind is really blowing, that’s almost balmy. :p even my chickens come out when it’s that warm, as long as it’s not snowing or blowing.
on really bad days my ducks stay in the doghouse all day, only coming out for food and water once in a while. Beyond that, they spend a lot of time sitting out too. I put straw down so they have somewhere to go to get off the frozen ground, but they’ve got lots of down and feathers to pull their feet up into and don’t seem to mind. If you’re really concerned you can always lock them up during the coldest periods, but I find they know what they can handle. Very young or sick birds obviously won’t be able to take as much as healthy adults, of course.
Either way, don’t forget the importance of ventilation if you do need to lock them in the doghouses. Cold and dry is much better than warm and damp. 👍

I haven’t had any issues with them not knowing their own limits. :) I would say your ducks feel just fine out there without the wind blowing on them. 5F isn’t really all that cold; unless it’s really damp or the wind is really blowing, that’s almost balmy. :p even my chickens come out when it’s that warm, as long as it’s not snowing or blowing.
on really bad days my ducks stay in the doghouse all day, only coming out for food and water once in a while. Beyond that, they spend a lot of time sitting out too. I put straw down so they have somewhere to go to get off the frozen ground, but they’ve got lots of down and feathers to pull their feet up into and don’t seem to mind. If you’re really concerned you can always lock them up during the coldest periods, but I find they know what they can handle. Very young or sick birds obviously won’t be able to take as much as healthy adults, of course.
Either way, don’t forget the importance of ventilation if you do need to lock them in the doghouses. Cold and dry is much better than warm and damp. 👍

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom