Winter eggs

ccrawf

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
When the weather started getting cold, I put a light in the chicken coop to extend their day, help the chickens lay better. Guess I upset the balance and my slate hen started laying eggs. I saw the tom get on her several times, so I felt confident at least some of them would be fertile. Collected the first 6 and put them in the incubator. Then a week later I put 5 chicken eggs, and a day or so after that, the last 6 turkey eggs. She stopped at 12 eggs, and started sitting on the golf ball I had in the nests. So one day when I went out, got a warm chicken eggs and put it under her to see what happened. She has been sitting like a dedicated mother. Just not sure how cold the egg got in the few minutes she has been off to eat.
So tonight, 12 December, I candled the eggs. It looks like I have 2 of them that are developing, numbers 6 and 12. Cracked open #1, and it was just yolk. So I’m pretty sure none of the rest are growing. Guess I need to look at them to see if I can determine if they are fertile and didn’t develop, or just not fertile. But looks like I have 2 growing. One should hatch 27 December, and the other should hatch a week later. So….
Not sure how many of the chicken eggs will hatch. Candled them but couldn’t see anything. OR more correctly, could see no light. So either they have really thick shells, or they are all developing. Time will tell. So I could have 2 turkey poults and4 or 5 chicks in January. Should be pretty good sized by the time the weather gets warm enough for them to be on their own. If the hen is still setting on her egg (she is now, and has done a pretty good job of staying there so far, I may put one or two chicken eggs under her a day or so before they hatch. Just to see how she does. Wonder if that will affect her ability or desire to go into heat again in the spring. Oops. We’ll see. Have to take the opportunities when they present themselves.
Others talked about eggs this fall. Any of them hatch? All of my birds were hatched the middle of June this year, so they are pretty young.

We are getting some eggs here and there, I haven't cracked any to check fertility but we do see them mating. This year we will be hatching and growing out replacement Midget White and Beltsville White. Our flocks of both will be 3 years old in 2010 so it's time to replace them.

Steve in NC

Steve,
Do you replace your hens, or toms, at 3 years old? I am wondering if my hens, having experience, will be better moms, than newbies. Is there an age when they are just too old for hatches?

Quote:
So if you have an older hen who is a GOOD mother, can you put the eggs of a young hen under her? And will the poults learn mothering skills from her or are they learn as you go skills?

The hens will hatch any eggs under them. From what I have seen poults hatched from hens are much better sitters, mothers than poults hatched in an incubator so the must remember the skills or have a better instinct for sitting

Steve in NC

Went to turn the eggs tonight and two of the chicken eggs have pip holes in them. So I’m pretty excited about that. None of the turkey eggs have pips yet, so I’m afraid I’m going to end up with just chicken chicks and no turkey poults. Put a measuring cup with water in it to raise the relative humidity. Need to stop turning the eggs I guess. Guess I calculated the dates wrong. Wasn’t expecting any chick until the 27th, but looks like now is the time. Good deal.

Have a few pictures, but not a clue how to put them on here.

The chicken eggs stop turning on day 18 and hatch 21-ish. The turkey eggs stop turning at 25 and hatch 28-ish. If you set the eggs at the same time you have another week for the turkey eggs.
smile.png

Steve in NC

Nope, set the turkey eggs first, then a week later did the chicken eggs. Just micounted some where and din't expect them to hatch until December 27th. So for starters, I was turning them right up until they started hatching. PRobably turned some before I realized they were hatching, and that I should stop turning them.
So as of right now, I have 4 baby chicks. Not sure if the fifth one willo make it or not, but waiting doesn't really cost me ay thing, right? And my new calculations are put the turkey eggs in 23 November, so they should hatch 21 December, which is tomorrow. So in the next 24 -48 hours, I'm hoping to see one turkey poult. Then the second poult is a week behind that. I set 2 batches of 6 turkey eggs each, and it looks like only one of each batch will hatch. Sad, but considering I wasn't expecting anything, this is great. And it is also like getting a whole years worht of experience now, that I can use in the spring to have better success rates.
This should be a link to my blog, and all the pictures of the chicks, plus more stuff, is there. Hope you all enjoy it, and I really love that I have people to share it with. That is part of the enjoyment and fun.

http://nanaandpappysfarm.blogspot.com/2009_12_01_archive.html

There, looks like I got that to work!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom