Winter feeding

jellyfish147

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi there
Im in my first year of keeping backyard chickens and everything is going swimmingly at the moment.
They have a coop thats placed inside a 12 by 10 enclosed run, i have 3 birds
that only use their coop during darkness hours and to pop in the morning to lay they cant wait to get out in the morning.
As it stands they have their feed and drink in the outside run
Ive had no problems with this thus far as during the summer months they slope off to bed around dusk 9.30pm and out they come around 5am (7 1/2hrs)
During the winter months in England im looking at dark at 4pm daylight 8am (16 hours)
Would this would be too long without food and water or do they adapt to seasonal changes?
As it stands i cant see how i can get water into their coop without them knocking it everywhere and making their roosting space and bedding wet..
would i need to change my set up? if so how so??...advice please
Below is a picture of my coop and run (coop changed for the model below to increase space)

This is also sat off the ground to allow them the run space underneath

Last edited:
They adapt just fine. The problem becomes when they don't eat enough when you only have 8 hours of daylight so their egg production suffers Eating more food will also help keep them warm if it gets too cold as well. You can simply add a light on a timer that will keep the amount of light they get closer to 12 hours. You can provide one additional small feeder inside. Give them just enough food so the additional food will be cleaned up by the time they are let out in the morning. (maybe one to two handfulls per hen) I wouldn't worry about the water.

Back
Top Bottom