Do you change feed during winter months?

I would never feed layer feed because it only meets the bare minimum for protein content and I don't want to force feed my birds calcium when they don't require it. Like when molting or taking a winter break.
I feed Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side year round for life.

If you feed layer feed, do you change it during molting/winter months when they are not laying as much?
As DobieLover points out, some keepers, myself included, have some doubts about the quality of layers feed.
I do feed layers feed at 17.5% protein.
I supplement the layers feed with fish mainly and in the winter months and especially when moulting I increase the amount of fish I give.
Some hens will lay eggs and moult. This is very demanding on her resources.
If say I was feeding layers pellets with 16% protein and say 4% calcium then I would change to a higher protein lower calcium feed.
So, what do you feed them?

I don't change what I feed them but I do change the ratio of what I feed. I normally feed both fermented grower and layer pellets. As the birds begin to molt I increase the amount of grower they get and decrease the layer, so by mid winter it's probably about 75% grower/25% layer (vs summer which might be more like 60% grower, 40% layer). So that way they get a little more protein and a little less calcium, without having to actually change out feeds.

I don't change what I feed them but I do change the ratio of what I feed. I normally feed both fermented grower and layer pellets. As the birds begin to molt I increase the amount of grower they get and decrease the layer, so by mid winter it's probably about 75% grower/25% layer (vs summer which might be more like 60% grower, 40% layer). So that way they get a little more protein and a little less calcium, without having to actually change out feeds.
This is kind of what I’ve been unscientifically doing, based on what I had on hand/what was running low. But I’m def not organized enough to ferment anything- I can see that being a disaster here 🤪

As DobieLover points out, some keepers, myself included, have some doubts about the quality of layers feed.
I do feed layers feed at 17.5% protein.
I supplement the layers feed with fish mainly and in the winter months and especially when moulting I increase the amount of fish I give.
Some hens will lay eggs and moult. This is very demanding on her resources.
If say I was feeding layers pellets with 16% protein and say 4% calcium then I would change to a higher protein lower calcium feed.
So, what do you feed them?
Layer feed i have now is 16%.

I’m tired of wondering if I’m doing it right based on time of year and what each chicken is doing. Going to phase out the layer feed (including that darn 2nd bag I bought bc it was on sale!), and switch to higher protein grower and just be done with it.

This is kind of what I’ve been unscientifically doing, based on what I had on hand/what was running low. But I’m def not organized enough to ferment anything- I can see that being a disaster here 🤪
If you have affordable access to sprouting seed you could set up a low maintenance fodder system.

Layer feed i have now is 16%.

I’m tired of wondering if I’m doing it right based on time of year and what each chicken is doing. Going to phase out the layer feed (including that darn 2nd bag I bought bc it was on sale!), and switch to higher protein grower and just be done with it.
You won't regret it. Just be sure to offer oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom