Winter for ducks?

Kazjia

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Covington, wa
I know it is a ways off but wanted to know what to use for heat source with ducks through the winter. When I was young we had heated barn for all the animals now ducks live in the shed with electricity. What kind of heaters or what to use for cold winters. Please advise.

@Kazjia ducks really don't need heat, They have a nice thick layer if down under their feathers to keep them warm, as long as they have a nice house out of frigid air with good feed and fresh water they will be fine. Even on those really frigid days mine prefer to be outside during the day. It's very important they have good ventilation in their house too so the moisture they create can escape or frost bite can be a problem. So windows, especially on the south side of their houses and vents around the top to let the moisture out.

I put down a thick layer of straw in the run so they can keep feet off the cold ground and fluff it daily....In their house I use straw....I will run a heat lamp this year for when the temps really drop...I put up vapour barrier plastic on my run to block out the wind and snow...

we plan on using a ceramic heater, but i live in Canada (Sask to be exact) where its brutally cold minus 40C, so i plan on heating the duck coop.

I'm from Sask...Live in Alberta...I know cold too....Last year I brought my Ducks into the garage when temps dropped and ran a heat lamp...This year I have a better building and will run a heat lamp in there...

I allowed my Ducks to totally winterize and grow extra down..I only provided heat if we got bellow -25C
I agree, let them acclimate to their area as winter progresses, Wild ducks have no issues with cold. All animals do this providing they have enough time to adjust. I don't get -40 here, but I wonder if heat may actually cause a problem, going from one temp to another. Like kicking an inside dog out in the middle of winter, where the outside dog has a heavy coat and is prepared for this. Mine won't even step foot in their house, ice,cold, or snow, Heck, they were in their pool at 0 deg.

No....It causes zero issues if you heat properly ...I do not cook my Ducks, i provide a temp that is warmer....
ok, thanks for the information, It will likely help many others keep from having a toasty house and sub zero outdoors. We, as people, have a bad habit of thinking the animals need to be as comfortable as we are, and that hurts them more than helps, just my opinion.

I have Calls and Appleyard....My Calls need the extra bit of heat provided when it gets really cold...When its -25C outside its about +3C in the Garage...During the day they are back outside unless we are getting a winter storm?....

Back
Top Bottom