Winter/Freeze Issues

AuroraSprings

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm determined that there HAS to be a way to keep the duck's swimming pools from freezing. We only live in AL (though it's been extra cold this year), so how does "the north" deal with this issue? Lots of hammers and hauling buckets of fresh water?

LOL...here in upstate NY I bought a cattle water heater...plugged it in,dropped it in the kiddie pool (it was frozen) and waited.Next day the pool was not completely frozen...but the ducks did not trust the "invader".Ok...ducks getting dirtier and dirtier...sooo...I bought two small plastic tubs from wally world and filled them with fresh water.and waited..and they froze.and the ducks STILL wouldn't go in!So as it stands now,I have 3 available tubs of water but they play around in the galvanized heated base waterer.Strange,huh?..but then again,my ducks won't even eat bread!
hmm.png

i dont use heaters at all my ducks dont swim unless we get warm spell . they stopped swimmimg around early dec. then around jan 2 we got warm spell and they swam then for about 3 days in a kiddie pool. but haven't been swimming since. today its 12 right now but todays high is going to be a high of 7 degrees.

in the pic you can see what i use for water when they are not swimming. its a 1.5 galllon bucket inside of metal feed pan. i fill bucket 2 or 3 times daily with hot water to melt ice. this works alot better than i thought it would . the ducks like it. the water in black bucket stays pretty clean for drinking. then they dabble in the bottom pan for fun.

68930_100_2388.jpg

68930_100_2391.jpg

Last edited:
a warm spell here is 28-38 high for day here this time of year. thats when i fill the pool. they are dirty but they are still happy and laying. my girls never miss a day i'm getting 5 eggs outta 6 girls everyday . thats what counts, and they are fertile i had 18/22 that were fertile in the bator right now. plus we have alot more snow now we just got 18 inches last night.

The most important thing I have found is keeping a deep enough pan of water for them to be able to wash their whole heads in at least a few times a day. That prevents eye and sinus infections, which can turn ugly!

Regular additions of hot water can work, I've done that.

Right now mine are in the walk-out basement when it's below 20F. Their indoor water stays liquid, as the basement is between 40F and 50F. I did buy a bucket de-icer. I am a very cautious person most of the time, so I read the instructions on the bucket de-icer which talk about the importance of using a GFCI (did I get the letters in the correct order this time?) and four feet of ground rod. hmmmm. Sounds like they want to avoid electrocution. I used the de-icer a couple of times to melt the ice and keep their swim pan (2'x3'x10") liquid. But I removed the de-icer before letting them play in it, as I did not reckon I could get four feet of ground rod driven into frozen stony New England soil. Only one of my ten runners jumped in, by the way.

There are also water heaters that look like large round cake pans upside down. One places the (metal) water dish on top of that. I use large steel mixing bowls.

Both the bucket de-icer and water heater have thermostats that turn them on around 35F and off around 45F.

The cost, depending on where you get them, might be between $20 and $40.

my pond is about 270 gal.. I have a tank heater in it and have never had ANY ice at all.. they have different sizes and these are enclosed so the ducks wont hit the element.
My pond is in a enclosed pen but we've had temps below zero all week..They have a heated hut they use but they actually sleep in their pond most nites.I have alot of straw in their pen now and I put blankets
hide.gif
by the pond so the rocks and such dont stick to them (comfey) lol

43749_tankheater.jpg

43749_im002180.jpg

43749_im001851.jpg

Hattie,

Kind of 'off topic", but can you give me an idea of how you created your pond? How do you maintain it and drain it? I need to do that for my babies. It's tough being in VA with this cold weather and dumping their pools every morning. I hate getting soaked in the cold.

Thanks,
~ Karen

Quote:
Hi Karen
I bought the Key Largo pond from Menards. We put a tub drain in the bottom at one end and ever so slightly tiltd the pond. I just unplug the drain and it drains down into a PVc pipe out into the bushy area.. I do have a water hydrant at the other end of the pond and I just hose it down (bleach /scrub once a week) refill.. easy as pie. Its workd perfect so far !!!! with the Rocks on the one side , and the grass on the other , there is never any mess... No mud or anything..they spends lots and lots of time in the water.

Oh , and i can throw their treats in on the ledges, like a Buffet
gig.gif

Kris

43749_hpim1057.jpg

43749_hpim1056.jpg

seee Hydrant on opposite end
43749_im001844.jpg

Last edited:
I use a fountain pump that I plug in at night after the ducks are put up in the barn. The fountain pumps keeps the water from freezing solid. If it does freeze the outer edges, I break the ice then scoop it out with a multi tined pitch fork. My ducks have had water to swim in all winter.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom