Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

2 Leghorn/EE crosses have pipped
woot.gif
Tomorrow is hatch day.

wee.gif
I just candled my eggs I started on the 8Th I set 12 eggs on the 14Th I candled them had 1 the wasn't fertile and one that got dropped and broke (wasn't sure if it was alive anyways). But the 10 I candled tonight. We saw movement in all to
ya.gif
. So here's to hoping they make it to hatch. Not might candle one more time before lock down.

Today is day 10 and I candled my 42 eggs just now. It looks like 20 are definitely developing. I can see what looks like feathers and 1/2 to 2/3 of the egg is filled with chick. One of the eggs had a blood ring. The other 21 might have a little shading on the large end, but no vein lines. I had thrown 2 of my own mutt eggs in there and surprisingly, 1 of them is definitely developing. Hopefully, I will end up with 12 Silkies, 1 Silkie mutt, and 7 Bantam Cochins when this is over!

Should I take the egg with the blood ring out, or let them all run their course until lockdown???

(This is my first time EVER incubating!)

I would remove the blood ring. Bacteria growing is what makes the line you see, and you don't want that bacteria escaping the egg to contaminate all off them. Those porous shells are brilliant in some ways, and not so much in others! Good luck with all your developers! I started out with 11 myself and am down to 5 now, and only two of those ave wins I can see.

Yeah, I agree, eliminate the blood ring egg. I am always so nervous to throw eggs out, just incase, but with the blood rings it is easy to see they are bad:( Everyone is doing so well! I am having a hard time waiting this time, I am super eager for the chicks to come

Is there a site that shows pictures of non viable eggs? I candled at 6 days and saw growth in 12 eggs..... I took a peek at a couple yesterday and they look suspect but I really have no clue what I am looking for....except trying to compare my eggs to the good pixs on the "chicks are here!" thread. On that thread there is one egg called 3 day quitter but how do you know? Like I said I have no idea what to look for .... I'm worried mine have stopped growing.

Any advice?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom