Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

How exciting! I get to candle on Sunday and am having a hard time keeping that incubator shut. I made a gamble on shipped eggs this time so I am apprehensively nervous about the outcome
fl.gif

Last edited:
I go into lock down Tues. with some lavender Ameraucana and Ameraucana splits I got from Sonew. I also had some EE's in, but only have one EE left. I have 5 of the blue eggs left.
fl.gif
fl.gif
Your babies are darling, what mix is your leghorns? People think I'm silly, but I love leghorns! I have a white, and a brown. They are friendly when you pay attention to them.

Just white leghorn pullets with this EE roo

If this is your first hatch and I assume first time at candling eggs I wouldn't be to worried if you haven't done this before sometimes it is difficult to know what you are looking at. Wait until day 11 and then candle you won't be able to miss the veining by then and remove any clears at this time. Good Luck keep us posted.

Good morning! I had to try Candeling again last night. I have one blood ring on a GL Wyan. I can't see much of anything in most of the others EXCEPT for 2 EE. I was literally so thrilled I almost kissed the egg, but stopped myself as I remembered it still has the bloom on it and hasn't been washed!
lau.gif

I am not touching them again until Sunday. I am hoping the veins get darker and easier to see by then. I have ten eggs now and only 2 showing any veining at this point. Not good percentage, even for shipped eggs. Cross your fingers for me that more develope so I can see on Sunday.

Happy chick growing to all of you!
jumpy.gif

Good morning! I had to try Candeling again last night. I have one blood ring on a GL Wyan. I can't see much of anything in most of the others EXCEPT for 2 EE. I was literally so thrilled I almost kissed the egg, but stopped myself as I remembered it still has the bloom on it and hasn't been washed!
lau.gif

I am not touching them again until Sunday. I am hoping the veins get darker and easier to see by then. I have ten eggs now and only 2 showing any veining at this point. Not good percentage, even for shipped eggs. Cross your fingers for me that more develope so I can see on Sunday.

Happy chick growing to all of you!
jumpy.gif

fl.gif

I want to candle mine today, but I rather wait two more days to give its time.
bow.gif
I am very nervous that I may hurt it !! ((I failed my hatching last Christmas) There was chickies inside, but didnt make it through
hit.gif
. Hopefully this time they will come ! (Jan 28th)
jumpy.gif

I want to candle mine today, but I rather wait two more days to give its time.
bow.gif
I am very nervous that I may hurt it !! ((I failed my hatching last Christmas) There was chickies inside, but didnt make it through
hit.gif
. Hopefully this time they will come ! (Jan 28th)
jumpy.gif

One word of advice for all on candling.... don't do it over your other eggs.... just in case you drop them you will only lose one and not several .... I thought that was some good advice when I read it... thought I would pass it on.

I was nervous too as this is my first ever hatch ... so I thought oh I'll just look at 1.... well that was a big fat DUD. So I couldn't help myself and grabbed 1 more
hide.gif
well that one had an eye and some veins!!!!
celebrate.gif
So I decided that I should go through them all. I marked the "blanks" and moved the one I think has a blood ring to the end of the row so that I can keep an eye on them. I'm going to candle them again in a few days so I can show my 8yr old godson what the growing embryo looks like. I don't know how I'm going to be able to see anything in the Maran eggs when they start developing!! I had a hard enough time with these light small silkies..... For the first time I'm glad I didn't get BCM eggs :0

Happy Hatching All!!1

On day 18, I know you remove the egg turner (if you have one), but do you put the eggs directly on the wire mesh for lockdown, or do you put them in egg cartons with the bottom of the cup cut out for air circulation for lockdown? How exactly do you prepare for lockdown???

My first hatch - please excuse my ignorance!

Back
Top Bottom