Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

Today is lockdown for me too. I have always used egg cartons, I really like them. My last hatch of Marans, I had two that pipped upside down and died in the cartons. I didn't see that they had pipped to even help. So I am just putting them in the hatcher on their side. may not ever use the cartons again. I had maybe 6 good hatches before this happened so it may never happen again, I just don't think I am going to take that chance. I have a homemade incubator and hatcher so I can't help you with what to do with a REAL incubator. Good luck!

More Lav/Lav splits and leghorn x EE in this batch.

On day 18, I know you remove the egg turner (if you have one), but do you put the eggs directly on the wire mesh for lockdown, or do you put them in egg cartons with the bottom of the cup cut out for air circulation for lockdown? How exactly do you prepare for lockdown???

My first hatch - please excuse my ignorance!
Hi Dobieslady.... I'm new at hatching too but from what I have read here is what you do at lockdown: 1. Remove egg turner - lay eggs on their sides in bator on wire floor. 2. Up humidity to 65% ish Some people use egg cartons or line their bators with that foamy shelf liner to make cleanup easier. Some make paper towel "cups" for each egg etc etc. Based on DMRippy's last result with the egg carton I'm not going to try that! That's all I know which isn't much but hopefully it helps. Good luck with your hatch and please keep us posted!!

ya.gif
I just set some eggs in my incubator last night, I plan to set 2 more trays in the next several days. I am hatching chicks about a month earlier than what I normally do, I have a lot of orders for baby chicks already.
thumbsup.gif

On day 18, I know you remove the egg turner (if you have one), but do you put the eggs directly on the wire mesh for lockdown, or do you put them in egg cartons with the bottom of the cup cut out for air circulation for lockdown? How exactly do you prepare for lockdown???

Hey there! What everyone else said about taking out the turner and upping the humidity to 65ish is exactly right! # 1 rule of lockdown - DO NOT OPEN FOR ANY REASON!!!!!!!!! if you need to add water do it as quickly and carefully as you can! Loss of humidity can cause shrink wrapping which you do not want!!!!!!!!! Egg cartons are not necessary! Are there egg cartons under a hen in nature? Nope! You will do fine without the egg cartons!

I have hatched in the egg cartons they don't get rolled around by the chicks that have already hatched and found their feet

In the last hatch we have done, we placed the eggs directly on the wire rack. I think the movement and interaction between the eggs helps with a more consistant hatch rate.

I TOTALLY understand. I did look last night, saw a clear one so I had to go onto another. I honestly only saw veining on ONE out of ten!!!
idunno.gif
I'm not clearing anything out yet, and I think there just HAS to be more, so I wait. I will try my best to leave them for a few more days and look again. At this point it is super disappointing...

Back
Top Bottom