Winter is here, Is your egg count going down or up ??? How much ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gottalovemychickens, Oct 24, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Well i have dropped egg production by 30% due to the crazy winter we are having . Trying to keep them warm and what not . But other then that still producing !

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Down, hens molting, coming back from being broody (those guys seem to be going strait to molting) and my pullets are either not laying or they are laying little eggs, can't what intell they all get to normal(or the pullets can get to laying double yokers).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I'm still holding steady at 10 - 11 eggs a day from my 11 girls.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine was down while everyone molted. It started climbing back up today. [​IMG]

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    well i have 22 laying hens and 8 are older hens around 1and a half yrs old. 14 that are 7-8 months old. the most eggs iv got in one day was 15 . back in august. 4 of the older ones are molting. and not all of the younger ones are laying yet. right now im getting 9-12 eggs a day with a light in the coop on a timer. comes on at 3am off at 7 or 8 am. they roost around 5pm. started the light about a month ago. havent seen a jump in daily eggs. yet.

6. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    The last few days, my six girls have given me 6 lovely eggs!! I am bewildered that they haven't slowed down!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Is this going to be their first winter? Mine never missed a lick their first winter. This year we had a slow down for molting, but I'm hopeful that they'll soon be back in full swing.

8. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens are now laying only 30% of what they did in summer. I'm only getting six eggs, whereas I have 20 layers!

9. Over on Caney Creek

Over on Caney Creek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm happy to say we are going up now. Everyone has finally finished molting, prancing around in their shiny new feathers, and we're getting more eggs than we did in the some parts of the summer. I do have a light on a timer in the coop. So glad to see the sun today after so many days of rain and drizzly. Normally beautiful October has been on the gloomy side this year.

10. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

not an egg in a couple months plus now they're molting [​IMG] getting ready to use lights

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by