Winter nutrition?

I did put the grit in a separate dish and they are doing well with it when they please. I tried the ff this morning and I think I actually saw them pouting :( they haven't touched it, I left it down for them in hopes they might try it. I picked up a little n Clint sorta tasted it n then shook his head.I'll dump it out n replace it this evening if they still haven't touched it I guess.

I did put the grit in a separate dish and they are doing well with it when they please. I tried the ff this morning and I think I actually saw them pouting
sad.png
they haven't touched it, I left it down for them in hopes they might try it. I picked up a little n Clint sorta tasted it n then shook his head.I'll dump it out n replace it this evening if they still haven't touched it I guess.
What do you give them as treats? you might sprinkle something on top just to get them started it's been over 5 yrs since i started using ff so can't remember how mine reacted but I do know my lil ducklings and chicks start out on ff they they eat it down. It may just take a lil time for them to get use to something different.

I have heard it can take time to get them to eat FF......I have never tried it......I sometimes on cold days add warm water to my regular feed with veggies like a soup........they either eat it or continue with the regular feed.....

Ducks are and can be picky!!!

Cheers!

I did put the grit in a separate dish and they are doing well with it when they please. I tried the ff this morning and I think I actually saw them pouting
sad.png
they haven't touched it, I left it down for them in hopes they might try it. I picked up a little n Clint sorta tasted it n then shook his head.I'll dump it out n replace it this evening if they still haven't touched it I guess.

Geez, they sound like my cats (am trying to transition them to wet food and they're not having it!). Divas.
lol.png

I transitioned adult ducks to FF, and they also didn't like it at first. You could try mixing in more dry and then gradually increasing the proportion of FF to dry so the change is more gradual. Hang in there - I really do think they'll come to love it.

Haha yeah they love peas so I tried mixing in some to the flash tonight,still not fans lol. They found it more fun to just run at me and nibble on my pants legs n boots like hey what's this crap?! I'm sticking to it, a lot will likely go to waste at first but I think if they get hungry enough they'll eat it. I'll try to add some dry food to the ff after like mentioned so maybe that adjustment isn't so severe. I think they're still upretty with the lack of cracked corn haha

Well going on two days now. I fed the litter buggers yesterday and since they're living in the shop I have been leaving them with feed and water overnight. I got back late from work yesterday morning and much to my surprise they had eaten some of it, very little but some! I didn't want to leave the same food in there though so I chucked it and gave em two small scoops with some dry food which was kinda just slightly moist food at that point and when I checked last night they had eaten a very small amount again. I think they're okay if it's not like slop and not quite like oatmeal either. I gave them a little bit of corn tonight too though since we have temps of -24 and are expecting 2-3' of snow over the next three days. I'm gonna dump out their ff I made and try to start over with a smaller portion I think and far less water and see if they like it better. We use to feed out beat pulp to one of our horses when I was younger and I remember that being almost like a moist cake like consistency, so that's kinda what i'm shooting for as far as the mixture goes. Clint and Crackers have been stubborn but I will win this battle! :)

Well going on two days now. I fed the litter buggers yesterday and since they're living in the shop I have been leaving them with feed and water overnight. I got back late from work yesterday morning and much to my surprise they had eaten some of it, very little but some! I didn't want to leave the same food in there though so I chucked it and gave em two small scoops with some dry food which was kinda just slightly moist food at that point and when I checked last night they had eaten a very small amount again. I think they're okay if it's not like slop and not quite like oatmeal either. I gave them a little bit of corn tonight too though since we have temps of -24 and are expecting 2-3' of snow over the next three days. I'm gonna dump out their ff I made and try to start over with a smaller portion I think and far less water and see if they like it better. We use to feed out beat pulp to one of our horses when I was younger and I remember that being almost like a moist cake like consistency, so that's kinda what i'm shooting for as far as the mixture goes. Clint and Crackers have been stubborn but I will win this battle! :) 

Don't dump it out! That would be wasteful. That FF is great stuff. If it's too thin just had a little more feed, of its too thick just add a little more water.

The battle goes on. So Clint and Crackers have been trying their new food and I've got it to a mix of roughly 2cups layer pellet to 3cups water and roughly half of a third of a cup of ACV. When I feed them in the morning I give them just about a cup of the ff mixed with a cup of their layer pellets, they just now seem to be actually eating it, I've added their favorite peas into it a few times and a little black oil sunflower seeds. The little treats I put in the food seemed to help and they are starting to kinda eat it on their own now without the treats. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much the typical ducks eats? They generally forage in the summer along with the feed I put out for them, but with it being winter that mix of 1cup ff and 1cup layer pellet lasts them for 24 hrs and that seems a bit under what I would anticipate them eating. They do have an area made of hay and seem to root through the hay a lot but it still doesn't seem like much is all. Anyway, as always I appreciate the feedback and never mind Clint and Crackers below, they snuck out of their pen the other day to go sliding :)

My Ducks only eat what they need....some days I think they are on a hunger strike and other days they eat fine.....I actually never worry....They won't starve themselves....Just bratty and hope for something better...lol

Not sure why you give ACV ????.....Not needed with Ducks or Chickens.....That could be why they do not want to eat? ACV is making the feed less palatable ........

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom