Winter Run Ground Cover

If you've got good 'mulch'(pics here would help) you don't need to do anything(including removing poops-which will become impossible once it gets really cold).
It's VERY finely shredded pine. Great for plants. Not great for a frozen chicken run. So far it's inefficient, maddening, and unhygienic to scoop at 15F. Like lifting a hockey puck off the ice with a napkin.

I use cardboard the bigger the better and spread them out. Makes less mess than using stray or hay. And it wicks the surface moisture and dries quickly when sun hits it. Plus it keeps there feet clean and protected from frost damage. The cardboards get composted when worn and replaced with new ones.
That's really cool idea I haven't seen before! I've got plenty of cardboard over here.

Sure they eat a few, but soon they learn bleh. We use them in the brooder too. For using them with chicks I just make sure they have grit to go with the sawdust they'll wind up eating lol. That's what that section is in the photo bottom right...dirt.

These are nearly 6 weeks old. They get paper towels the first few days, but pellets after that.

View attachment 3701145
Nothing should be that cute. You truly are living the dream.

Back
Top Bottom