Winter Run Ground Cover

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I changed out the mulch in the chicken run right before winter, but unfortunately it held on to too much moisture and froze. Is this going to be a problem? It's not wet, but it does form ice crystals in the morning before the sun hits it. I have no idea if it adds chill to their naked toes, or if it's just mimicking the ground outside (should they be free-ranging). We manually remove poops 3x/day.

They do have a large dig box with peat and sand for dust baths, and several wooden perches to get off the ground and warm their feet.

I do have some playground chips (which are a chunkier soft wood) that I could add on top. But those also frost over in the morning. It's our first winter, so I'm kind of flailing around trying to figure everything out.

Thanks for your help!

Our silkies try to "free range" in the snow so we throw split logs every so often that they'll head for and stand on.

We don't have a run but I think if I was you, I'd throw down a few logs and a little straw, in fact, just give them the bale if you can get it that way. They'll tear it apart.

Our silkies try to "free range" in the snow so we throw split logs every so often that they'll head for and stand on.

We don't have a run but I think if I was you, I'd throw down a few logs and a little straw, in fact, just give them the bale if you can get it that way. They'll tear it apart.
I like that idea!

Is straw different than "hay"? Would they sell it at Tractor Supply? 😅

Clearly I'm from the suburbs and have no clue about such things.

I like that idea!

Straw is usually the leftover stalks from wheat, oats, or similar and is usually more yellow and is bedding and not really meant for eating. Hay is some mixture of grasses, alfalfa, and/or clover that is used for feeding cattle, sheep, goats, horses and stuff like that. You have to be a little careful especially with hay because sometimes chickens will try to eat it and get impacted crops. They could technically eat straw too but usually they leave it alone. so typically straw is safe to put in with chickens. Depends on the store if they sell straw or not. If you can't find it then a bale of wood chips that tractor supply sells would also work.

I like that idea!

Yup, @DLA explained it perfectly.

I'm just replying so you know that was exactly what I meant as there is a difference. You can put straw in your nest boxes too for nice clean eggs unless they sleep in them like mine do. Thus, I put horse pellets in the nestboxes now and just stir them weekly with a stick. :idunno

Yup, @DLA explained it perfectly.

I'm just replying so you know that was exactly what I meant as there is a difference. You can put straw in your nest boxes too for nice clean eggs unless they sleep in them like mine do. Thus, I put horse pellets in the nestboxes now and just stir them weekly with a stick. :idunno
I've seen horse pellets used as coop/run bedding, but never in a nest box... interesting. 🤔

Mine are big on eating their bedding, otherwise I'd be all over the pellets. I deterred mine from sleeping in the box by putting one of those plastic nest pads (which are quite exfoliating and unpleasant) with a light layer of hemp on top. Of course now I'm looking into a heated pad to prevent frozen eggs, so sleeping in the nest box is inevitable. 😭

I've seen horse pellets used as coop/run bedding, but never in a nest box... interesting. 🤔

Mine are big on eating their bedding, otherwise I'd be all over the pellets. I deterred mine from sleeping in the box by putting one of those plastic nest pads (which are quite exfoliating and unpleasant) with a light layer of hemp on top. Of course now I'm looking into a heated pad to prevent frozen eggs, so sleeping in the nest box is inevitable. 😭
Sure they eat a few, but soon they learn bleh. We use them in the brooder too. For using them with chicks I just make sure they have grit to go with the sawdust they'll wind up eating lol. That's what that section is in the photo bottom right...dirt.

These are nearly 6 weeks old. They get paper towels the first few days, but pellets after that.

12-4-23.jpg

I changed out the mulch in the chicken run right before winter, but unfortunately it held on to too much moisture and froze. Is this going to be a problem? It's not wet, but it does form ice crystals in the morning before the sun hits it. I have no idea if it adds chill to their naked toes, or if it's just mimicking the ground outside (should they be free-ranging). We manually remove poops 3x/day.

They do have a large dig box with peat and sand for dust baths, and several wooden perches to get off the ground and warm their feet.

I do have some playground chips (which are a chunkier soft wood) that I could add on top. But those also frost over in the morning. It's our first winter, so I'm kind of flailing around trying to figure everything out.

Thanks for your help!
If you've got good 'mulch'(pics here would help) you don't need to do anything(including removing poops-which will become impossible once it gets really cold).

I use cardboard the bigger the better and spread them out. Makes less mess than using straw or hay. And it wicks the surface moisture and dries quickly when sun hits it. Plus it keeps there feet clean and protected from frost damage. The cardboards get composted when worn and replaced with new ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom