Winter water consumption

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
OK, so, I have some questions regarding chickens and their winter water consumption. We have a Rubbermaid style tote, with a bucket deicer in it. It’s been doing a fantastic job. Best of the three watering setups we have tried this year. It also has five horizontal nipples on it, and the chickens figured it out right away.

Our tote has an 18 gallon capacity, and when we filled it three weeks ago, we put in about 8. In the three weeks, our nine chickens have only gone through about 4 gallons of it... maybe less! In that time, we’ve had several days or snow and any time I let them out to free range, they bee-line straight for it and eat a whole bunch, but they don’t get out every day.

I’m not seeing any sign of dehydration, which surely would be showing by now. They all look and act normal. The only chickens who appear to be “off” are in the middle of a molt, so it that explains their pale combs.

Now, this Summer, we had a flock of 12... and I know, chickens will use a lot more water in the summer... but we were going through about a gallon a day! To have dropped to 4 is gallons over 21 days seems drastic.

They have access to it, seem to prefer snow, and seem to be happy and healthy. So, should I be worried? Or are my lively free ranging birds just really enjoying free ranging their hydration too?

My birds seem to drink about the same summer and winter.
I measure pretty accurately each day when topping off the jug with HN's.
They will drink less if it's been raining and sometimes with fresh snow.
They do love to nosh on the snow banks...leading to mildly frostbitten wattles.

I think they’ve really just been eating a ton of snow... it’s the only thing I can think of!

No sign of frostbite to the wattles yet, it’s why in the winter I only choose to provide water from our horizontal nipple set up. I’m reluctant to put a bowl out because I don’t want them dipping their wattles in.

They seem to be doing just fine even though the water level isn’t moving much. Great energy, and we even got 6 eggs yesterday from 9 chickens with no supplemental light! So they must be okay. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

I have three adult laying hens (all three laying daily or almost daily eggs, not sure that makes a difference) and they maybe drink about a gallon a day. (I have a 5 quart water container and they only get to "almost finished" LOL)

Mine always went through a lot more in the summers. Its possible they're eating snow or drinking water collecting from the rain.

I know my girls prefer fresher water so if its taking 3 weeks to empty that towards the end they could be drinking less because they don't like the stagnant water.

Thanks for the ideas. I will probably try dumping their bin and refilling it.

Consider its been so long, I feel like they must be getting enough water from their environment(either snow, rain, or melt) to not need the water in their waterer. I feel like dehydration going this long would kill them, or at the very least cause some sort of change in demeanor...

If they are acting normally, after this long, should I really be worried? Animals can’t talk, but they let us know when something is wrong in other ways. Should I be looking to fix something if, just maybe, it’s not broken in the first place?

My birds seem to drink about the same summer and winter.
I measure pretty accurately each day when topping off the jug with HN's.
They will drink less if it's been raining and sometimes with fresh snow.
They do love to nosh on the snow banks...leading to mildly frostbitten wattles.

:confused: Then.

Maybe they ate snow since it is is new and fun?
Going through such small amounts of water in the run is concerning.
I give wet mash every morning so water from that and my group of 8 still go through at least 1/3rd to 1/2 gallon a day.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that snow does not provide much moisture. If you pack a saucepan full of snow and heat it, you may be very surprised at how little water it yields. Your chickens must be finding a water source somewhere, but my guess is it isn't snow, unless you have unusually wet, heavy snow. I am more familiar with Colorado's snow, which is very dry.

Consider its been so long, I feel like they must be getting enough water from their environment(either snow, rain, or melt) to not need the water in their waterer. I feel like dehydration going this long would kill them, or at the very least cause some sort of change in demeanor...

I agree. Mine drink a lot less in winter, like 50% less. They get a lot of their water from rain, snow, puddles... they'll even lick the fence for morning dew. Anything is preferable to a clean waterer. :)

If your chickens are active and acting normal, they're getting enough water from the environment.

Mini update:

When I went up to let my chickens out of their coop, I took a bowl of water with me. An automatic chicken door is on my “list”, but I currently go and close their access door every night, and open it every morning at first light. Their food and water are both outside the coop. Today, they all clamored out single file, like always, and I set down the water bowl.

Initially, they swarmed it, I think expecting a treat. Upon realizing it was water, they all quickly dispersed showing no interest at all. One chicken took two sips, and then they were over it. Interesting, as this time of year they are in their roosts not drinking water for a solid 14 hours! I think it’s disconcerting because of how much people stress how much water chickens “should” go through, as well as the stark contrast to their summer consumption.

Moral of the story, I think I may have camel chickens as well. Go figure! I guess we trust them to regulate their feed, free choice grit, calcium, and so many other things that they intake, seems like water can be added to that list.

Back
Top Bottom