Winterizing chain link run with plastic?

Tanka

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Massachusetts
I've decided to use plastic to wrap around my runs for the winter this year. Last couple of years I've used tarps but they look unsightly and they're not waterproof. I bought 12'x100' 6mil plastic. My question is how do I attach it to my chain link run?! I was thinking about using grommets, so its kinda like a tarp, but I've never installed grommets and not sure how much work that entails. One run is about 8'x20 and the other is attached on the side is 12'x12. I've got my work cut out for me. Those of you that have chain link runs, what do you do? Or even if you don't have a chain link run, do you have a better idea?

I have a chain link run and the only thing I did was to add tarps on the north to block some wind.

Are you wanting to keep snow out? Is wind the issue for you?
I guess knowing what your goal is in adding anything to the run would help.

My biggest issue is the howling wind from the north here. It does get blasted cold here and we do get a lot of snow. That wind though can be a real bone chiller in the winter.

I would like to keep out both wind and snow. We get a good amount of snow every winter and the chickens don't like stepping in just a dusting of it and they sure do not like the wind. It is bone chilling!

Last edited:
There are grommets that Lowes carries for the shade cloth. They are easy to install with just a hammer. You would need a lot of them.
If your run has wood framing then perhaps you can attach using firring strips or 1x3 lumber.

This is the grommet I am thinking of. Not sure if the plastic would slip or not.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_249290-304-...ch=grommets+for+shade+cloth&productId=3028055

The snow comes in the roof of my large run so I am only blocking the side to keep wind out. I am not sure how any kind of plastic would work for the roof since it would get very very heavy very quickly.
I made a lean to in the run using some left over metal roofing for them to have a dry area.

The roofing on my big run is chain link as well. I had it partially covered with tarps last year, it held up just fine. I cleared off the snow after each storm. And yes, those are similar to the grommets I was looking at..I was thinking maybe metal ones? They might last longer...

If you use the grommets....you might want to add extra layers of plastic (on both sides) around where you install the grommets.
I used grommets on a shade cloth, folding the edge twice, then put screws and washers thru the grommets into a 1x3 wood strips and attached the wood to the side of shed.

What if you went with something like this? http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kennel-roof-cover-kit-10-ft-x-10-ft?cm_vc=-10005

I don't know how much money you want to sink into it but a cover kit like that will shed rain and even withstand moderate snowfall.

As for putting grommets in the sheeting, I'd get a roll or two of tarp repair tape (made for sticking to poly and withstanding sun and weather) and create a reinforced edge on the poly. Install your grommets through that edge and that will help prevent the grommets from tearing through. I'd install a grommet every 16 inches or so.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Since I want to cover such a big area, the more I think about it, it will be a lot of work to install so many grommets. I have a lot of scrap wood laying around that we use to burn in our wood stove. So I'm thinking about either using wire ties or zip ties to attach the wood to the fence and staple the plastic to the wood.

Here is what we are thinking of using. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Single-...452896893&sr=8-15&keywords=Chain+link+inserts

We have chain link runs, and we live where the wind blows a lot! The snow tends to drift inside if we don't put tarps to block the wind, and in the summer, the tarps cannot hold up to the sun intensity we have at altitude (outside of Denver). Grommets ripped out of the last two with the sun/wind combination. Until the vegetation can grow big enough to block the wind, we are going to try these slats. They should just slip in the linkages without tools. They come in other colors, too, if the all year green seems unnatural. I think I would pick a lighter color to reflect the sun later in the year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom