Winterizing Coop

Quelson

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
Hi Everyone!

This will be my first winter with my 4 hens and I am trying to figure out the best way to winterize their coop and keep them warm in the winter. I am not concerned about egg production, just want them to be comfortable. I live in the PNW so it doesn't frequently go below freezings but it can be in the 30's at night. We also have a ton of rain. I purchased a chicken tractor with the coop sitting on top of the run. The perches have no flooring underneath them as you can see in the photo. This seemed great in the summer but now I am wondering if it will create too much of a draft being open that way. It also prevents me from laying down any type of bedding. Will some of you more experienced folks let me know if you see this as an issue?? And any potential solutions if so?

I have been moving the tractor around so that they have fresh grass/weeds in the run. They also get out during the day. I am wondering if for the winter I should keep it stationary and put bedding in the run/coverings over some the chicken wire? Any other ideas for winterizing the coop/run are greatly welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6QqHqgVfSWS2V6C+KxasdQ.jpg
    6QqHqgVfSWS2V6C+KxasdQ.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 15
In the PNW I wouldn't worry that you have too much ventilation.

However, I would want to keep out all rain.

I would roof the run with huge eves to keep out all rain.
Thanks for your reply! The run has a slanted roof thankfully. However, I have noticed depending on the direction of the wind when it rains, it can sometimes come in the sides. I'm thinking of partially covering the mesh.

It shouldn't be an issue, my original coop was very similar where roosts sat above an open floor, and the birds did just fine in that for 2 years, rain snow and all. We did panel up some of the sides during winter, but left half of them uncovered for ventilation. You mainly want to minimize rain/winds blowing in, so prioritize covering the sides that will face in prevailing wind directions.

Back
Top Bottom