Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!
gig.gif
Julie wants to help you with the duck situation, at least if there are any half-grown females.

The broody Ancona has 3 pips tonight!
big_smile.png
Glad I checked. There is a very strong odor of skunk outside so I moved her and the eggs to my broody box, and got pecked near death for it. Candling veterans: what does it mean when I can't see thru the egg at all, even a white one? No air sac, just dark. Rotten? Throw far far away ASAP??

after what day? late in incubation could mean it is getting ready to hatch.

Busy night... wasn't going to post.... can't sleep now! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Roosters are letting their presents be known! Starting to rain. Duke getting whiny again. Isis (kitten) wants to play! Sucks! Must sleep! grrrrrrr
th.gif

Good Morning Everyone! Sounds everyone is busy. That is pretty weird about the mice killing chicks. bl4 hope you get those bugs irradicated! H&R glad you found the nest! Just got rid of a bald faced hornet nest right above where L parks her car
hide.gif
Glad I got up today I learned somethin. Didn't know we had skinks in Wi. Always denial with a gov agency. Don't have no wolves or cougars around here. Oh wait maybe there is. Naw that was a coyote and that oh that was a house cat. Here kitty kitty kitty. Dang near took a long ride off the top of the ladder while pressure washing the camper. It's gas operated. The crop duster made his first pass within 50 feet of me, never heard him comin.
ep.gif
Was gonna send Fric and Frac to camp this morning but it looks like rain. So maybe tomorrow. While cleaning the shed found a grass snake it was cold yet and sluggish. Goldie saw it, it disappreared shortly after that. Would like to see her come across one of the bigger garter snakes to see her reaction.
lau.gif
Bigz nice to have good people to share the excesses with. Gotta pick some beans today to ship off and cukes tomorrow. Better go find something to do.
gig.gif

Morning All,
I will try to post about the chicks, I have to get their pen set up as I don't have a dedicated broody area. I need to move Madcity Pullet from the house to the barn I think she is starting to think she is a parakeet...
I have to get two LARGE bales today and with bad weather looming.. tarps galore till I can get the plastic on them.
I was planning on going to a equity swap to sell some birds, but with the bad weather, I might have to give it a pass.

On a funny note.. I found the exact same phone that I have, through Tracfone.. for 40 with double minutes for life... web enabled.. blah blah blah...
What I NEED to do is make sure I get the same phone number...
US Suckular needs to go bye bye...
Well I am off to go do STUFF..

I found this in Edgerton, its between Madison and Janesville...
http://janesville.craigslist.org/zip/2555496959.html
free garage (edgerton)
Date: 2011-08-19, 3:29PM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
please call 608 843 8140
free for firewood or old barn board projects......but must take the whole thing. I have a bobcat to assist with removal.
Have a great one!

Last edited:
good morning, no word from any 4 of the "nterested " parties who were coming after ducks.. why do they email back and forth 3 or 4 times and then drop it ?? they put it off, and put it off and then look sh!t faced when they finally contact you and the ducks are gone.. Like they were the only ones interested???

when this herd is trimmed down, I am not going to raise large flocks of anything .. even if I have to sell my incubators to stick to my plan..

Just at dusk, I got all the pulleys and the bearing housing off of the mower deck.. Now the fun begins.. finding new bearings and a pulley ,, that will fit this housing,, without going to the Husqvarna dealer. Naturally, it is a weekend, so nothing will be open..

Sheesh, just read what I posted.. I sound really grumpy, don't I ? LOL

After my cuppa kicks in, I will be much better..

I have to find a piece of hardware cloth to install over the cyclone fence so that the critters can't reach in to the chickens on the roost..

Last night was a hoot putting the small guineas to bed.. they all flew up and roosted on the gate header beam and on the gate, too.. we pushed most of them off, but a few of the bigger ones flew up onto the metal roof of the lean-to.. we pushed what we could off, but four of them went way to the top.. way out of my reach, but,,,,, wait,,,,, I still have a water hose.. I blasted them a bit and then they started to flap and struggle.. there is not much traction on a wet steel roof.. one by on they slid off..

I'm off to see what damage and mahem I can do..

.........jiminwisc.........

Good morning! Thanks for the lizard lesson! I guess I knew about skinks...not about those other ones though. I am glad that Julie will want some ducks! I have several nearly grown females, well maybe 15 of them....Jim the picture in my head of those poor wet guineas sliding off the roof is making my chuckle...and yes, you did sound like a grump! Like you would get rid of your incubators!
ep.gif
You LOVE it!

I picked up the hay this morning and it started to rain on the way back
sad.png
So I climbed up on the wagon when I got home and got it all tarped up. IT is still sitting on the side of the road waiting for the kids to get up so we can steer it down into the driveway...the worst part about this place is how it is situated on the road. The road is higher up than the driveway and it is tough to get a wagon down in there. It would be nice if I could just lull it straight through with the truck instead of all the monkeying around....oh well, at least I have a house and barn...that almost doesnt leak any more! THis mornng the roofer guy said that there was still a little bit of a leak on the East hip so he is going to come back later if it stops raining and see if he can patch it up.

DD25 just got home and she is dreading doing the Dirty Girl race in the rain! Well, I guess she'll get dirty right? Isnt that the point? DH said I should do it...yeah right--I would DIE! Well my eggs for breakfast have given me a stomach ache...or maybe it is the coffee? I feel like I need a nap; but it looks like the sun is coming out so I guess the hay must be calling me! Yeah Carol, that is what mine is costing this year too, $3.50/bale. The stuff I got today is just a little cheaper...

You guys have a great day! Terri O

Last edited:
Hey All -

Long time, no post....

Hope everyone came out alright from the storms last night. We got a lot of rain and a bit of hail but nothing serious... Northern Marinette got hammered pretty good.

I'm looking for a Rooster to keep my 10 Hens happy. I've got 2 Lavender Orps, 5 black sex links and 3 brown sex links... (they are all 24 weeks old)

If anyone is close to Menominee and has a Rooster for sale/give away... Please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!
gig.gif
Julie wants to help you with the duck situation, at least if there are any half-grown females.

The broody Ancona has 3 pips tonight!
big_smile.png
Glad I checked. There is a very strong odor of skunk outside so I moved her and the eggs to my broody box, and got pecked near death for it. Candling veterans: what does it mean when I can't see thru the egg at all, even a white one? No air sac, just dark. Rotten? Throw far far away ASAP??

after what day? late in incubation could mean it is getting ready to hatch.

Not a clue. I think she started to set while still adding eggs, the eggs are not all the same development. But I can easily see thru all the other eggs, even the pipped ones. This one egg is just dark. Hope it don't explode.
sickbyc.gif
2 chicks out this morn, they look like pure Anconas. All those roos that were running around, and the Ancona hens practiced monogamy.
gig.gif

Cheer up Jim its Saturday.
celebrate.gif

DrH we had the dusters 'bout clip the house too, there's a 40 of corn right across the road. Was on the porch taking pics, the baby got so scared.
sad.png
Too bad the 4-yr-old was at grandmas, he would have died of joy.

Carol, US Suckular, lol!
lau.gif

Raimnel do we share an anniversary date?? Happy Anniversary to us!
love.gif
Hope you get to have your fun day!

Last edited:
Ok, finally a little time to post between laundry loads. I only had 6 pages to catch up on!
After reading the books, (SIL got me hooked) Team Edward all the way. The movies are good, but you just cannot grasp the entire picture in a 2 hour movie.
BBP, if I were you, I'd definitely keep that sweet roo. That friendly of a personality doesn't come around enough in males. IMO
Everyones pics are wonderful! Awesome garden, FT, & acreage, & animals! I'm so jealous! Wish my DH would help keep our gardens weeded.
smack.gif
Oh, FT, I really did not need that visual on your ducks "thingy majiggy". Some things I just wish I could unread.
lau.gif

Jim, sorry about the new roo. What a shame. And on 1 line, you tell Deb you're adding her name to the spoiled list, then you say on the very next line that Annie is bringing you donuts. Hmmm, who do you think should be #1 on that list?????
lau.gif

MLH, if you have a large dryer, I'll wash a load of dirty clothes, then when it's done, just throw it in the dryer with the wrinkled stuff & run the dryer. The dry clothes help the wet ones to dry faster, & the wet ones help get the wrinkles out. Or like Jim said, a wet towel works too.
Actually, TO, I do love the Pack, & could never forget when they're playing. But I'll forgive ya.
hugs.gif
gig.gif

BL4, sure hope you get those bugs gone real soon.
Carol, Blue Kote? Just be careful since it's a chick. I sure hope it'll be ok.
fl.gif
BTW, we've got Tracphones. Love the phones, but hate their cust. service if you need it.
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
Yeah, right!
lau.gif

Quote:
Is that what thet're supposed to do? My Moose fails miserably, then.
lau.gif
Hey, FT, you're in luck. Road trip!
lau.gif

Hey, the rain stopped & the sun's out! Gotta go, have a great one, you chatty's!
lau.gif

Hi again, Annie and I caught each one of the young turkeys and banded them.. Toms got orange/left, hens got yellow/right..
One we wer not too sure of so we banded it yellow/left..
a couple of the toms were quite heavey..

we had a good ratio,, 11 toms,, 8 hens..

they are now in the back chicken yard, looking around like: what the he!! ??

we think we figured out how to tell the young hens from the toms.. the toms band on their tails are circular, the hens are pointed.. That is my story and I am sticking to it.. we will see in about another month or two..

Marlene is coming this afternoon to pick up her 24 keets.. we have added about a half dozen more since she called.. the chickens in the coop are hatching a couple pet hour today..
Pretty soon they should start hatching turkey eggs.. I think Annie said she has about 2 dozen under clucks.. she added them 1 per day as the one turkey laid them in the burn pile.. talk about a strung out hatch.. LOL

Tomorrow is a PK auction in Amherst at noon. I might just swing by in case there might be a peahen offered.. It is 51 miles from here to there..

we have 24 quail eggs to set.. I will wait until tonight and include today's eggs with them.. I have to start up an incubator again..

....jiminwisc.........
............jiminwisc..........

Back
Top Bottom