Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Maybe i should change my login name?

Don't do it on our account, Rob. We just enjoy giving each other a hard time here and there. If there's an inch, we'll take a mile.
wink.png
All in good fun.

Please do not get offended at anything we say around here. Noone here is anything other than super nice, even though they don't always sound that way. Not mentioning any names, Jim.
lau.gif

Thanks! Yes! Info on protecting our chickens would be great! We thought weasel too. Rat wouldn't be smart enough to break the neck. We set a rat trap last night that went off, but caught nothing and my husband also put poison down the hole. Thankfully no more deaths as of yet. We have 4 more days until our new coop is delivered. Praying we can keep them alive long enough to make it to safety.
This has to be the easiest design of a weasel box I have seen...although the cardboard milk carton may be the hardest to find, but you should be able to use any box...mine are made out of wood so they can be used year to year. You can make 1 box exactly out of a 1x6 5' long fence board if you have any..

The idea is to put fresh meat w/ blood smell (has to be fresh) in the back of the box and the rat trap pan on the inside front of the box. The hole in the end is about 1 3/4"" in diameter

here are some plans and pictures hope they help
Weasleboxplans-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

Quote:

Thank you MLH for that info. I know very little about the Amer's & EEs.
I like the orps, aussies & Dominiques for cold hardiness, egg production and their friendly nature. I don't have any mature Dom hens (yet), but of the aussies & orps, my aussies are a little better in the egg production (lay more often) and are a little more docile. I am really anxious to see how well my aussie/Dom crosses do as far as laying.

So does anyone have any, or know where any POL pullets may be purchased around the Milwaukee area for Toastedrob? C'mon people. Here's your chance to start yet another chicken addiction.
lau.gif

Oh, and as far as a snappy nickname for Toastedrob goes, Amy had me dousing the screen with Mr. Kilt.
gig.gif
Not the shortest of names, though, I know.
hide.gif

Happy birthday Amy! And happy anni, BL4!

Raim, "safe" in WI? Have you never heard of tornadoes?
tongue.png

DrH, please congrat the DD & future DS for me. As for taking the trip down the aisle "for the final time", oh no you don't, mister! We're all coming to see you & L tie the knot. With P2 all spiffed out as your best man and the hens following L down the aisle, pecking at the scratch we toss along the way.
lau.gif
Wouldn't miss it! As for my DH, shhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wink.png

Ken, congrats on the hatch so far!
FT, 550 mile roadtrip for some geese?
ep.gif
gig.gif
Almost as funny as you being up by 8am.
wink.png
Safe journeys, my friend. I wish we could get together while you're down here.
hugs.gif

EL, so sorry to hear about your chicken losses.
hugs.gif
Sounds like you might have a raccoon. They love pulling the heads off or through something, like a hole in the fence, etc.
Cind, just stuff some eggs under that girl!
pop.gif

Wow, you guys were gabby! So what else is new, hey? Moose got me up early (!) this AM. Tomorrow I will get the carport cleaned out so I can finally get him back out there. I picked up some of Bigz's famous 5% Sevin to dust everyone & sprinkle in their dust bath area, along with some DE and sand to freshen it up a bit. Yesterday I let the bigger young uns out to run around with the big girls a little. Everyone was pretty well behaved, and the kids were just going crazy running all over & jumping up on & off the hay bales. Too cute!

It was a crazy busy day today. Then went out for Italian to celebrate DH's step dads birthday, then back to their house for ice cream cake & cupcakes. I am stuffed! Didn't get home til almost 9. Better feed these cats & get to bed. Sweet dreams, all!
If he is interested we have 2 splash marans pullets around 4 months old and we could also come up with 2 wellie girls to complete the group. :)

still a couple of pages to read.. but I have a couple of comments so here goes before I forget..

Mouse trouble H&R ? I had that two days ago.. I changed batteries in mine and the trouble went away..

Earthlady, I am betting you have a weasel.. he will keep coming backas long as you have a live chicken left.. time to do some serious trapping..
I wish it was as easy as changing batteries :D we have a touch pad mouse on the lap top so we are thinking that something inside is giving up the ship so to speak! DH was able to get it working again- he plug in the corded mouse from our main desk top computer so any time I have to move between the lap top and the desk top I have to take the mouse along!! The lap top is also shutting down when ever it feels like it :rolleyes: Dh did talk to a computer guru about it not to long ago and he figures it is a hardware problem. Trying so hard not to have to replace the thing :( As of today we have yet to see the Red Golden male pheasant that escaped from us when DH went into the aviary to feed them. But on a more happy note Golden Eye II is in quarantine waiting till his 30 days are over to go into the avairy. Enjoy the day!

Today is day 21. I have 3 of the 5 eggs on my Brinsea hatched. The Lavender Orps are still sitting in there. In the basement Bator, I have 1 hatched and healthy, 1 hatched and it looks like its intestines are hanging out, I have one pipped, and one shrink wrapped. I did the nono... I went Into the Bator, and that's how I found the shrink wrapped one. I laid the eggs on top of modified egg cartons. What was happening was the eggs were shifting so the the eggs wouldn't pop open. Sh!t... So I opened the Bator to quickly remove all the stupid cartons, popped in some warm water to bring up humidity. I closed it and taped it up again. I'm not going in again! Marans are what have hatched so far. I have a woman who wants to buy 12 marans, so I really would like that many p,us a few extras to give her.

COME ON LAVENDER ORPINGTONS! I told CC no breed of chicken is gonna get the best of me! I will have a successful LO hatch Or Else! So I contacted a different lady and ordered some eggs. I can sell them, but I will NOT be defeated by bad genetics or fertility. I am supermom to my real kids, and I will be super momma hatcher too! (yes, my name is Heather... I may have a problem...). After the next batch of eggs, i am cleaning out the bators and locking them up till next spring....! :lol:

Also bad news on Venus/Apollo. There's something wrong with him. He has been doing this weird neck stretch, open mouth thing for several days. Like he's trying to crow but nothings coming out. Then today he didn't want to come out of the coop and he was in the nesting box! I took him out, and he's walking with a weird wobbly limp.he was closing his eyes as he stood, would plop down where he was and just lay there. I called my Uncle (in law). He took him and is going to see if they can fix him up at all. If not he's also my culler.

Eeeewwwww.... Kid climbed up next to me and he has a load that needs changing. BBL all.

Just had to get a bit of late lunch and check in with you all. It sounds like you have been having a blast since I have been " last. I am working outside, catching up on my work because I have been laid up with a bad back. I think I will be sunburned today but thats ok. Lovely day.

I can't believe I took the time to sit down and show my cochins how to scratch for worms. Lazy birds. They expect everything to be given to them on a silver platter.

I brought the neighbor 7 huge fresh eggs and some chives. He is outside tinkering around. I think he can hardly wait for the landlord to come back so he can be busier. :)

OOPs .

EL I am so sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

That is a nice trap diagram, thanks for posting it. (not sure who did a new guy I think)

"Jim I hope you like the
ep.gif
pot?" Cindlady I didn't catch that one.
wink.png

Hope you get the rats. I hate rats. they ate my baby silkies last year. :(
FT have a safe trip. Good luck with the curly geese.

I decided I need about 4 Skovies for insect and rodent control. Glad a lot of people are selling babies around here. :)

I need to do my seed order today too. I see johnnys has flower sprouts. A new veggie bred at johnnys. Kale and brussel sprouts combined. A mix of 40%purple,40%green and 20%bicolor. A pkt costs $10.95 WOW. Cute little buggers though. I bet they will soon catch on for the market gardenner. Can't really save the seeds because they are F1 hybrid.

I got about 3 more pages read. Well I need to go out again and then need to finish catching up tonight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom