Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Joe, sometimes in the coop is where the hole is where they are coming in anyhow..especially rats.. I do see your point,, if they are coming from outside..

there is an electric chicken plucker in the wausau craigs list in yard sales.. it is in Birnamwood.. don't know any more than that..

2. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    if it is rats, there is a trap called the T-Rex rat trap...It would work great in front of a hole! You should be able to set it just about anywhere!

3. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Morning all!
    Just thought I'd get all caught up before I tackle the chick chores. To many brooders.......I think I'll transfer Ben and Co outside to the coop. One less brooder to clean...

Ok gotta go...the chicks are screaming at me....mostly the meaties they are not happy that I'm rationing their food....ah well...they live......atleast for a few more weeks....[​IMG]

4. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    When I went out to check on the ladies this morning I was so relieved to see all our "teenagers" still there! [​IMG] But then I went into the other room of the barn to let out the adults and found 4 dead. 2 of them had their throats gone from 1 very neat cut in their neck and the other two had broken necks. I'm so sad and mad. Why not just eat 1 whole chicken!? [​IMG]

5. mazojoe

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    Oh man, not a good situation! But you have weasels and will need to set up some traps ASAP or they will just keep killing...

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Oh no, I'm sorry. I hope you cant catch the killer fast.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    MJoe,, I like that style of trap you made.. I think it would do a good job on rats as well as weasels..

speaking of weasels.. they don't kill just for pleasure.. they are hoarders.. in the wild they build caches of food.. that is why you see them drag a chicken's head through a hole.. they are trying to drag it to their cache but it won't fir through the hole..

one year, I lost 15 fryer size chickens twice on successive nights.. to a weasel.. (30 total)

do not dally in setting your trap or you will not have any chickens left.. guaranteed..

No, Nora is not showing a pot belly, yet.. she is still a month away .. and yes, she is getting fat, but not from being PG..

gotta get hold of the neighbor for a load of manure on the garden.. and then see when he is going to be plowing after that..

8. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning to all! No rain here last night...I know cause I folded all the laundry off the line and left it out in the basket! [​IMG] So glad we didnt get the rain anyhow...I forgot it cause after I took it down I went to bringin Eli and the twins and Tommy. Tommy was NOT in the pen! So DH and I went and looked alloer the place for a roosting roo--no luck. This morning I went out and cant see him anywhere either...I am sad that he got out for sure! Hoping that when I let the rest of the birds out they will "find" him for me! He always just jumped up on the bench to roost...guess I shoulda got him in earlier! I find it kind of amazing that he got out of a 4' fence...such a little chicken.

EL--I sure hope you get that predator soon! What NJoe says is true...they will keep coming and killing until everything is GONE! I had that problem with a raccoon one fall....bad news!
    Good work getting that tree down Cind! Mine is down but the ornaments are STILL on the table waiting to go downstairs...maybe I will do that today...or not. The cats are breaking them all along so maybe I wont have any to take down in a few weeks! Yeah procrastination--aint it grand?
    Good luck on that hatching stuff everyone! I think Roadrunner's nest should be hatching by the weekend...and the white hen's batch is due next Tuesday...lots of babies on the way I am hoping! Then there are the 40 some in the bator for the first! Yeah...I better get building. I found a great strong box outside that I am going to use as a brooder. It is an old toybox that I got at a rummage sale...I think it will work great. Now if only we dont get real cold again I can brood the birds outside....Of course the hens will do their own! [​IMG]

Good score on the quail MLH! Cant wait! LOL--guess I better go and let the rest of the birdies out...on yeah, I am glad we had this extra computer around...DH has to rebuild my laptop...he says it is the processor (he thinks) At least I have this one to use for now....Gotta run...I actually have to WORK today....
    Have a great one! Terri O

9. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Crap ... 20 min typing on this iPad... Al most done with post... Now gone... [email protected]

10. mazojoe

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    Maybe you should not be purchasing fancy pants Ipad and purchase more chicken wire! just sayin!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by