Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Booo!

Yeh, My rodent issue is mice running under the litter. in he coop while the chickens sleep. They chewed holes in the wall. I'm sure if they came out when the chickens were active, the chickens would be snacking!

EL... That sucks about your hens... take care of it soon!

TO... hope Tommy shows up!

raim... know what you mean about the eggs! I only people would taste test! LOL I even thought about giving out samples.... figured most people would throw them away
hmm.png

CU all later

Afternoon All...welcome to the new folks....hope you visit often.

In regards to the weasels...if you can tack rat traps in the vertical position to the side of either the corners of the buildings or even posts, with the bait holding part a few inches off the ground...baited with parts of the fresh kill....you can start trapping right away....they will stand on their hind legs to get at the bait.....just another simple idea that works.

Thanks for sharing all the great pics everyone.

bigz

My neighbor must be taking good care of the little rascals up this way. We haven't seen any for a few years.

Now I just need to get my runs up before Mama Fox starts dinning in my back yard.

Good to hear from you Bigz !!!! Oh did you ever see my post about the ham soup base. I know you gave a recipe that used ham soup base and I got some from the meat market but can't remember what recipe I wanted to make.

TO said she thought it was for a zuchinni soup, I didn't think so. But I've been wront once or twice in my life !!! lol

FT, here is one of the recipes Bigz shared with us. He doesn't have the ham soup base listed in the ingredients, but he mentioned it at the end.
I'm quoting here:

Ok here is my bean soup recipe...
You can make this with either smoked ham or smoked venzun sausage. if I'm using sausage, I prefer to grill the sausage first to eliminate the extra fat and add flavor. Trim the extra fat off the ham if needed.

2-3 cups of dry beans

1 large onion chopped

1 quart bag frozen tomatoes

1 heaping teaspoon chili powder

3-4 cloves garlic chopped or minced

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

Cover the beans with water to over 2 inches and soak for more than 12 hours. Usually overnight. Drain and add 2 quarts or so of water and add meat. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove meat and add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another 30 -45 min. while that is cooking chop the meat and add to soup.

I usually have to add some ham soup base to it if it needs the added flavor, but alittle at a time so it doesn't get toooo salty. I usually start that after I add the veggies.

I am tired just hearing about your trip. Well then I guess the neighbors are good for something hey? lol
Just one day of hard labor for me and I am beat.
th.gif
Today I am trying to lime all the manure I moved. Ugh, well I think I am about half done. At least when I get done with the limeing it can only get better from there.

TO thats not Tommy your little drinker is it? O no

I stopped by to keep up with the reading....oh my gosh CC...
hugs.gif
You really are the Bestest!

bigz

I'd say !!!! She is !!! I think she is stalking everybody, she even knows Bigzio's secret recipes !!! lol

Thanks CC, the more I got to thinking about it I thought it might be Bean soup, you confirmed it.
highfive.gif

Yes Thanks
big_smile.png
Thats whats for supper tomorrow night!!!! You are the best!!

FT, here is one of the recipes Bigz shared with us. He doesn't have the ham soup base listed in the ingredients, but he mentioned it at the end.
I'm quoting here:

Ok here is my bean soup recipe...
You can make this with either smoked ham or smoked venzun sausage. if I'm using sausage, I prefer to grill the sausage first to eliminate the extra fat and add flavor. Trim the extra fat off the ham if needed.

2-3 cups of dry beans

1 large onion chopped

1 quart bag frozen tomatoes

1 heaping teaspoon chili powder

3-4 cloves garlic chopped or minced

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

Cover the beans with water to over 2 inches and soak for more than 12 hours. Usually overnight. Drain and add 2 quarts or so of water and add meat. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove meat and add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another 30 -45 min. while that is cooking chop the meat and add to soup.

I usually have to add some ham soup base to it if it needs the added flavor, but alittle at a time so it doesn't get toooo salty. I usually start that after I add the veggies.

hey Well, it's official, I canceled my doc appointments for Friday. This old gal just can't do it again this soon.

Anyway, if anyone in the Madison area would like to rescue some little boy goats from being slaughtered the guy I got the geese from has a little runt from the litter he will sell for $10. It is in the house right now being bottle fed. Yes CC I was tempted but first of all I had to get to Cambria and get the geese and I had a long ride home so I didn't even look at him or I would have.

It is such a shame that all of those baby boy goats are doomed from day one just for being born a male. Then the poor females are milked I'm assuming forever just like a cow !!!

I really should be a Vegetarian. I do eat Venzun now though, aren't you proud of me guys. At least I know that it didn't suffer and DH won't take a shot at it unless he is gonna hit it.

Trying to muster up some energy to do something today. Maybe pain killer or two are in order !! That will work on the pain part, now what to do for the mental fog part !!! LOL

Today is March 22nd. Just remembered it is an Anniversary for me.
38 yrs ago today I had part of my lung removed from metastasized bone cancer.
wee.gif
Still alive and kicking. Still can't figure out what I'm doing here though !!!
gig.gif

It is also my brothers Birthday. The one who passed away 10 years ago on St Patrick's day. He was buried on the 22nd. His birthday. We decided because he loved having friends over and get togethers we would have the funeral on his Birthday. He was only 51. I thought that was old 10 yrs ago. Now I'm pushing 54 for crying out loud !! Geez, then I wonder why I'm to pooped to pop !!!
gig.gif

Cr@P, wonder how many days it's going to take me to recover from this trip ??

Oh my new friend, Roger from my meeting at Fleet Farm emailed me again today (jealous Bigfam that I can still pick em up ) (never mind that they are in their 70's)
gig.gif

Hay if ya got it ya got it !!! LOL

Anyway, he is going to be at the Zoo in Lakewood or Townsend or some place over that way on Saturday with his team of Belgians !!!
I'm going, Rain or shine !!
Ok, time to veg out again !!!
Carry on people !!!

Hi folks,
nice all day sprinkle here, things are greening up fast and it gave me a day to get things together in the tunnel. I need to get another round of mater plants going for selling in May.

I took a fellows advice and gave away a lot of eggs this winter, tried to keep track and seems that I got 1 customer for every 5 dozen given away. Those are repeat loyal customers buying 1-2 dozen every week AND telling their friends. It helps if you can get a conversation going explaining the upside of your product, don't even TRY and compete with KwickTrip or store eggs, this isn't the same product at all. State the positive and ignore the negative (there's enough of that in the world today)

My DD also made up a nice label we use on the cartons with address,contact info, and a "please return" had a few of these show up here in new customers hands,,,,If you play into the Price game you will kick yourself when you try and justify costs. I shake my head at CL some low ball pricing there, no matter how many eggs you have they still cost the same to produce, better to feed them back or give them away than screw up the market price for farm eggs IMO

good luck to the trappers out there, bigz is right on with the trap tacked to the wall up off the ground that does work well,,,mazoj has a nice trap that also keeps other bigger critters safe
Congrats on your rat trapping Jim and on the eggs for that bator! My eggs are at day 11 and I plan to candle tonight for the first and only time, hopefully the roo did his job

bbl sun peaking out need to get a few things done

Back
Top Bottom