Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Evening All!
    Had a busy day today. Doing what I can't say because it passed rather quickly. I got some more of the coop cleaned out and Ben and Co transfered to the coop. Very distressing times for young chicks. I get meal worms for them as a consolation.
    The coop cleaning it going way to slow. I can only clean so much before I get tired and my back screams in pain. This is going to take all summer at this rate! LOL!!

Well, just wanted to get caught up here! Have a good night!

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Just popping in for a few minutes. I was trying to talk chicken with DH and yeah he just doesn't get it lol. Anywho, I went out and bought an incubator tonite. [​IMG] Now I just need to get some eggs :)

3. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

I'm glad your found Tommy, he sure is handsome.

4. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    BIGZIO, and I always tried, and I said tried to keep my posts clean because of U !!!! [​IMG]

And were you one of the his and hers during these episodes?

Don't know why they would have thought is was anything else.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    DrH Peatwo sounds like a really sweet bird.
    I am so glad Tommy is back. Man that chicken is cute!!
    BF4 sounds like all in all you got a pretty good chicklage count. And you didn't leave any kids at the store or PO so your doin good girl.

I am planning on planting salad and chard and onions very soon. Oats, wheat and some other stuff goes in as soon as I dig up the ground. I have to wait for the rye grass to come in the mail. I thought I would experiment with planting early this year.
    I finished moving the manure yesterday and put lime on most of it today. HEAVY! I put a lot on because I rent and have to make sure there is no smell. I have plenty of manure to do a compost pile later this summer. Then I transplanted some small trees in the pens and gave each pen 2 wheelbarrows of twigs and pine needles, for them to play in and pick bugs, from where the neighbor cut the trees. He was going to burn all of it but I saved it. I am using the bigger branches for brush piles in the pens. (They need shade) Planted lillies in front of the pen towards the house and creeping jenny on the southside of pen. (for shade)
    I ordered dandelion seeds and nettle seeds to plant for the chickens too. Along with some herbs.
    No matter what I get done I just seem to be getting a longer list of things to[​IMG] do.
    My garlic is coming up. Or did I already say that. (first time for me)
    Yeay on the incubator Apyl.
    MLH I hope your back gets better soon.[​IMG] Now don't work too hard or it will never heal.

BIGZ!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi again--just got back from 4H--DD26 made me a plate! Yeah, nice having someone make me dinner for a change! Just caught up on reading...Dan you said the same thing DD did about the "Earthquake" in Clintonville. How could it go on for days? I guess she heard something about water in the granite when the water table is low? IDK--weird stuff for sure!

MLH--I know about that cleaning stuff...I cleaned two coops on Tuesday and got NO EGGS the following day in either coop! I think they must like it dirty...I only got two out of each today instead of the regular 5! The Blue Ams are finally starting to lay kind of regularly...Sheesh--I've waited over a year for them! I am counting on you to come and help me clean the BIG coop--I figure you will have built up lots of muscles by then...I will need you....

Well-this computer is driving me crazy...guess I will go and lock everyone up...keep your fingers crossed for me NOT to fall in the mud!
    Sweet dreams everyone! Terri O

7. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    TO, Tommy T is a very handsome and lucky (to have found you) little Roo !!! Does he have a girlfriend in the house with him?

My lavender Orp started laying today but................... the egg was perfect in every way but............ NO SHELL.

DH accidently mixed up my feed and I've been feeding her the chick food with less calcium but did put some oyster shell out for her to eat. I don't know if that is what did it or not but that sure was weird. So we'll see what she lays in a few days now with added calcium. I also gave her some extra vitamins A,D,E.

She is such a nice girl and the Lav Roo is such a gentleman. I'm really liking them.

As far as my LO eggs that I drove all the way up to Eagle River to get. I don't think they are developing at all !!! Either are the lavender split silkies I got in the mail. They all have floating air cells.
    Guess I'll never get lavender silkies. Well, maybe, I'll breed daughter that's split to Daddy. Sounds sickoo but hey I live in Crandon and if you get divorced up here you are still cousins !!! LOL
    And might I add that I'm not a local from here !!!

DrHa !!! You are way to funny !!!! Your EX story !!! Like DH would ever leave me !!! He says I'm the best thing that ever happened to him !!!! Geez the first two must have been ??????????????
    He was a lot nicer to me tonight. Even brought some eggs to the bar. Told him to get a pizza cause I wasn't cooking, well I didn't say I wasn't cooking, it was obvious. I just said get a pizza. So much for the egg profits hey? lol

Yep, to legally sell eggs off of your property in WI you need to get a license. Will cost you $150. I don't know if that is just the first year or every year but you have to have a seperate kitchen, with washable walls, at least a double sink, refridgerator. But mind you they don't want you to wash the eggs !!! Guess the double sink is to wash your hands?
    Your cartons don't have to be new but they have to have all of the grading and any other name covered up.
    The kitchen can not be your own kitchen.
    I did my research a few years ago so I might be forgetting some things but the woman I talked to said if you know of someone with a kitchen such as a church or a resturant who would let you use their kitchen you could use it.
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but if you sold your eggs for lets just say $1.50 a dozen to make it simple math, you would have to sell 100 dozen eggs to break even for the cost of the license. Then if you use your churches kitchen, chances are it isn't located next door. Now, if you collect eggs once or twice a day are you going to run to the church and put your eggs in the fridge ???
    And another thing, what resturant would take on that risk of the big "S" scare and let you use their fridge to store eggs ?

Geez, what will the State think of next. I asked the woman what would happen to you if you were caught selling eggs at a fair etc. Guess nothing !!
    You know you can sell any vegetable at a farmers market without a license as long as it is not washed and packaged. If you wash and package it, then you need a license !!! So go pick your berries, mators and all your lusious veggies, then walk to the woods for a potty break. Come back, load up your vehicle and head to the local farmers market. Fresh produce straight from the garden right !!! LOL
    No license required but [email protected] forbid you take it into the house, wash your hands, wash the veggies, make an attractive package to entice your customers and you need a license !!!

8. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    I couldn't find where Jen was from and I had to google to see where Amery was. :) I'm about 3 1/2 hours south of there. [​IMG]

Anyway, I can't keep up with all the posts here. [​IMG] I'm trying, but honestly, I just don't have the time to read them all and get lost with the thousand interruptions the moment I sit down and attempt to. [​IMG]

I think I figured out the spot the little weasel got into the coop. It had removed a piece of wood and burrowed between the concrete and the beam and into the coop. (Our coop is inside of an old cow barn) One of our teenager chickens just straight up disappeared today. I had 11 of them (was 13 until Tuesday!) when I let them out to free range today and only got 10 of them back when it was time to go inside. They usually huddle right in front of the barn door and peck around there and this afternoon they had all huddled over by the silos so something spooked them and they moved. I had a hard time getting the old girls back in the coop this evening too. I mean, if I watched 4 of my friends get picked off I wouldn't really want to go back in there either. I turned off the lights and closed up the barn and figured they would go in if I left them alone. They didn't. They camped out on the cow stalls instead. My husband put them in the coop when he got home. We've had our adults since November and never lost any until now. The teenagers we got in January as day olds and hadn't lost any of them, but did sell 15. So in our 5 months of chickens this is our first bout of chicken losses. :( We still have another batch of babies that we got in February. 5 of them have been sold, but we haven't lost any due to illness or such until this week. That's part of why it's weighing so heavily I guess. I'm not hardened yet. LOL

9. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    EarthLady, I don't think we ever get hardened !!! Sorry for your losses !!

I found a dom hen dead under one of the campers the other day. I don't think it was a predator, I'm thinking more like DH locked it out of the coop.

Anyway, CC to bad you aren't coming up to your place this weekend. Here is what my new made draft horse/chicken friend that I met at Fleet Farm sent me via email.

You know where I'll be hanging out !!! LOL I'll be on the wagon !!!

Hi Sandi, As usual busy, glad to hear about geese and eggs peacocks are another story. Saturday ts a fund raiser for the Lakewood Zoo at the Mountian town Hall about 3 miles south of Mountian on hwy 32 North side of the road . there should be a silent Auction, a live Auction,other games and of course Horse drawn wagon rides from 9:30 to 4:something food and beverages on grounds Should be a fun timefor all Good Day Roger

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  10. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Between BigZ and Big Fam, the mods are going to crack down on this thread HARD! Sheesh! I was given a warning for making a crack about Mike Rowe being big....... but not being specific about WHAT was big on him.... :) Glad to say I was NOT drinking anything while reading BigZ's post!

Ok, off to bed. Frenchie we will figure out something.

Night all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by