Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Is hubby home? I know something that would occupy 2 minutes of your time !!!! And a half hour of preparation !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    let me comment on your statements.. hmmm wrong,,, wrong wrong...

I told you before, your hum is OK,, the chicks hatched and are doing fine..

the eggs are not overcrowded.. the chicks hatched and are climbing all over the place..

no matter how hard you try,, the chicks will dry off.. so what if it takes a little longer..

did you have any shrink wrapped ? NO !!

why are you complaining about a perfect hatch.. the ones that didn't hatch are prolly clears..

4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin

Awwwwwww poor baby, we need pictures you know? I want to see the chicki in a mitten..........awwwwwww

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    good morning.. I caught another rat this morning.. #3 if you are keeping score.. same size as the previous two.. prolly means there was a litter born so there are lots more..

Nice walleye DrH.. I see you are wearing some sort of kilt too, eh? I thought they were all plaid ?

Apyl.. remember the rule.. just ONE thermometer.. pick one and put the other in a drawer someplace..

I have about a dozen thermometers and none of them show 1/2 degrees..

hatched chicks do not make the temp rise in the incubator..

later........jiminwisc................

6. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Well everyone hatched so far has had there first formal exam, everyone seems perfect, cute little toes, and fluff, No has eaten or drank anything yet, just a drop from me dunking there little beak in the water. I did get some ok pictures of cute fluff butts.

Yes Tiki the waiting is awful, driven me crazy type stuff, getting a little worried about the last pip she seems awful weak, her beak is moving but no peeping. and no progress at getting herself out of that shell. I think the hatched babies tossed her around more than I thought, Hope she recovers and gets out. but here are the 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

:) Thank you, I removed the on the extra one I bought and left the one that came with it in there.

8. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

Awwww so cute !

9. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    [quote wrong,,, wrong    wrong...

I told you before, your hum is OK,,  the chicks hatched and are doing fine..

the eggs are not overcrowded..  the chicks hatched and are climbing all over the place..

no matter how hard you try,, the chicks will dry off..  so what if it takes a little longer..

did you have any shrink wrapped ? NO  !!

why are you complaining about a perfect hatch..  the ones that didn't hatch are prolly clears..

[/quote]
    I don't consider it a perfect hatch yet 3 are not hatched, and were fine at day 8, and 16, 1 is having a very hard time hatching it seems compared to the others, and this is my first hatch, and incubator, I have only had my chickens a year. and I have many questions, and I worry a lot about everything anyway, they are more pets than anything and of course, I would cry my eyes out should any die.
    Your info is helpful, but is coming off with a pretty negative tone...in your last 2 posts ..is it meant that way? Sorry if I'm annoying you. Kim

This post is one of many that make me worry......I think I do like using the egg crates to hatch in because it is keeping the eggs still while the babies crawl around and on top of them and over them. No one is having to reposition themselves for hatch, which I read can exhaust them and kill them.....
    I like this little incubator but it is very small and no room to mo ve the babies could not even stand in it, plus it's nerve racking to watch them kick and claw they way over a hatching egg...............

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  10. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI

Sssshhhhhh.... Don't tell anyone I said this but... I would start peeling away the shell carefully... Then I would go further because I have a problem with self control...

There is a really great video on YouTube. Look up twin chicks hatching... Very "informative"... I mean, if a gal were to help a chick out of its egg...

But remember..... Sssshhhhhhhhh.... I'd probably get scolded for advising you this way... ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by