Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi, there,

I live in the town of Mukwonago WI. I have never had chickens but would like to try. I live in a subdivision, in a 1+ acre lot. When I asked, the town was vague on the subject of backyard chickens. I only want to keep 4-6 chickens, no roos of course. A call to the town building inspector (apparently he is in charge of this), said that while I shouldn't have chicks (he couldn't state a specific law outlawing them in my area), he doesn't go around neighborhoods looking for chicken coops. He would only check if a neighbor complained. He did say that the subject had been brought up about a year ago at a town meeting by some citizens but a decision had not been made. I am tempted to just go ahead anyway. I can keep my coop somewhat concealed as my yard is surrounded by tall arbovite.I believe that even the people in Milwaukee can now have chickens. One neighbor won't care, the other is a jerk. It seems that my neighbors junk is not a problem for the town, but apparently chickens are! now I'm venting, sorry.
Please advise if you live in the town of Mukwonago, WI or Waukesha county.

Hi, there,

I live in the town of Mukwonago WI. I have never had chickens but would like to try. I live in a subdivision, in a 1+ acre lot. When I asked, the town was vague on the subject of backyard chickens. I only want to keep 4-6 chickens, no roos of course. A call to the town building inspector (apparently he is in charge of this), said that while I shouldn't have chicks (he couldn't state a specific law outlawing them in my area), he doesn't go around neighborhoods looking for chicken coops. He would only check if a neighbor complained. He did say that the subject had been brought up about a year ago at a town meeting by some citizens but a decision had not been made. I am tempted to just go ahead anyway. I can keep my coop somewhat concealed as my yard is surrounded by tall arbovite.I believe that even the people in Milwaukee can now have chickens. One neighbor won't care, the other is a jerk. It seems that my neighbors junk is not a problem for the town, but apparently chickens are! now I'm venting, sorry.
Please advise if you live in the town of Mukwonago, WI or Waukesha county.
Hi and welcome to Cheeseheads. Celtic Chick lives in Mukwonago. She'll be more than happy to jump in and tell you what's what . Good luck and I say go for it!

Hi all!

To all the new people....
welcome-byc.gif

BJ... I believe there are a couple of people that live in your area. I also know there are a few "chicken outlaws" on here. I think they would say "Bribe the neighbors with eggs!" beyond that I'm not sure. I live in a mixed area, along the road is residential but our back acre is zoned A1 so no one can b!tch about anything back there!

Dan... if you couldn't fix the prolapse you did the best thing.

Carol.... I don't have allot of different breeds so I'm willing to trade for almost any kind.

FT... why were you crying when you welcomed Jacob? Are we that bad? LOL
tongue2.gif
Congrats on the hatch and glad you could make it down to the family!

DrH... Glad you had a good time with the family too! Congrats to your daughter!

Susie...Congrats to your grandson! That is a great bird for his first turkey! 2 of my grandsons will probably be hunting next year.

TO... Sounds like you had a good time too! Congrats on your hatch too!

chickenscratch (CS)...welcome!... yep... the link worked!

Well, DH helped out with his church's breakfast this morning and talked to a guy who is cutting down 9 oaks that are 1/2 dead (a blight?)
Anyway, in the afternoon he went and got a truck load! Should be getting some more but his brother may want some.
ya.gif
for more FREE wood! I know some of you (DrH) have enough land you take your own to heat, we think it's very sweet we only spent about $450 for wood! That is about 2/3 a tank of oil and we got 5 tanks last year! This year we bought 0! If we get off 1/2 as well next year (with the new furnace from DrH) we will be happy!

All the kids went to "the in-laws" today or to the "ex's" side of the family. DD stopped by with 2 grandsons so I just gave them their Easter baskets and eggs. DD#2 will bring the other grandsons during the week. Youngest son came and helped with a few chores and ate a half dozen guinea eggs and something else but I don't know what.
hide.gif
I was so blown away by all those guinea eggs ....
ep.gif

The chickens seem to be doing well. Storky was off the nest long enough to make sure all the eggs were there. Only 3 more days!
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
Still worried about those 6 that slipped out... Guess we'll see.

Well, got to get feed tomorrow so I better hit the hay... night all!

Good Morning Everyone! I always like folowing Cind's post it helps a lot with the CRS. Thanks Cind! BJ WELCOME! I say go for it and like Cind says bribe em with eggs. Hope Storkey has done her job well enough! Yup it is nice to make wood off your own property but having to buy it is still a lot cheaper than fossil fuel. Initial investment is high saws, splitter, and a means to drag or haul it but it pays for itself very quickly! Bigz after we get back from up nort next weekend I'm gonna have to drag my stuff out and touch it ALL!
celebrate.gif
Susie "J" that's so cool about the G'son getting his first bird! Bet he's sooo proud. TO I don't know what Bf4me is talkin about that baby is cute! BL4 she's attending school in Manhattan Ks. Not many Vet colleges around the country she was accepted to one in Ca. too but thought if she went to Ks St it would be closer to home. She's decided to practice in Ga where her husband is which makes me sad wish they were coming back here. Already planning on taking a trip down there to see them in a year or two. Very expensive schooling $50,000 a year for tuition!
ep.gif
We were talking about it and she said they just had a class about the debt incurred, how much they could expect to earn, and how long it would be before their loans were paid off. Told her that they should have had that class the first semester.
roll.png
Wish Laura would win the lottery that would be the first of the money spent! Leaving Thurs morning for the camper
wee.gif
have a ton of stuff to get done before that. Better get started!

Good Morning Everyone! I always like folowing Cind's post it helps a lot with the CRS. Thanks Cind! BJ WELCOME! I say go for it and like Cind says bribe em with eggs. Hope Storkey has done her job well enough! Yup it is nice to make wood off your own property but having to buy it is still a lot cheaper than fossil fuel. Initial investment is high saws, splitter, and a means to drag or haul it but it pays for itself very quickly! Bigz after we get back from up nort next weekend I'm gonna have to drag my stuff out and touch it ALL!
celebrate.gif
Susie "J" that's so cool about the G'son getting his first bird! Bet he's sooo proud. TO I don't know what Bf4me is talkin about that baby is cute! BL4 she's attending school in Manhattan Ks. Not many Vet colleges around the country she was accepted to one in Ca. too but thought if she went to Ks St it would be closer to home. She's decided to practice in Ga where her husband is which makes me sad wish they were coming back here. Already planning on taking a trip down there to see them in a year or two. Very expensive schooling $50,000 a year for tuition!
ep.gif
We were talking about it and she said they just had a class about the debt incurred, how much they could expect to earn, and how long it would be before their loans were paid off. Told her that they should have had that class the first semester.
roll.png
Wish Laura would win the lottery that would be the first of the money spent! Leaving Thurs morning for the camper
wee.gif
have a ton of stuff to get done before that. Better get started!
Doc... I said the baby WAS cute. I misspoke once (and only once of course) about baby guineas being ugly. They absolutely are not ugly as babies. :D And I have been lax... So happy for you daughter! That is absolutely awesome! I think all of us have dreamed about being a vet in our lives, and so few do. You must be such a proud papa!

good morning, I was up very early, (before the coffee pot turned on auto) and then went back to bed.. couldn't get back to sleep, so thught about how I want to re-arrange the fasteners, screws, nails and nuts and bolts. I decided that I need a secretary..

black chicks are hatching like crazy.. NOTE the black ? none of them look like barrocks.. I thought 2 weeks absence from the rest of the roos would be long enough to purify the breed.. UNLESS that morfidite rooster I bought has some strange background..

last night 4 guineas wouldn't come out of the pine tree.. this morning 3 of them did..
of course, the one the owl got had to be a white one..

these hen turkeys I have are awesome.. the geese lay the eggs and the turkeys plop themselves down to take care of them.. I have one goose "hiding" in the big lean-to with her eggs.. the angel winged goose.. she was hatched here last year..

I think one of the sebastopol geese started laying eggs yesterday.. I hope, I hope..

I have to clean out a brooder pen for these new chicks.. then more cleaning in the garage..

I decided to sell the big incubators.. anybody want to hatch 800 eggs at a time ? I will give you a great deal on the incubator, two spares and a hatcher .....

welcome newbies,, Just do the deed and take the blame.. town boards are stupid enough to want such a job, so they must be too stupid to make a decision about chickens or anything else..

.............jiminwisc..........

Welcome to all the newbies. It has been said many times it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, I think it was TO who said it to me when i was thinking about getting quail. Oh and I tried to ask for permission and no Quail yet either! I have been told that I cant have anymore birds of anykind for awhile though. There are a couple people that keep a bug in my ear that I need more, and I have not ruled it out yet. It may just be that I ask for forgiveness!

Well I am home sick today, got some kind of food poisoning, which does not seem possible. Nobody else got it, but since I DO NOT get sick it is my only thought. My DGF gave me Nuxvomica and it took all my symptoms away and let me sleep...She is a certified Homeopath and studying to be a be a midwife now.

If I start feeling a little better it looks like I better get down to the garden and make some hoops over the vegetables! If Madison is going to be 26 tonight I will be in the teens in this low valley!

Post a lot today, I'm going to be bored! I will have to clean a little though.

Thanks for all of the greetings/welcoming comments! I hope that you all have enjoyed the link I posted. I tried to post a few videos, but they never went through. Any suggestions?

Regarding questions on getting chickens in unknown or unwelcoming communities, remember they are "pets", you are not raising them to sell. This is a very important clause when raising chickens in an area that may not be welcoming to the idea. Having chickens as "pets" versus "chicken keeping" is a fine line in most communities, but it may save your chicks if you are ever discovered!

I agree with asking forgiveness later. The only concern is that you have a neighbor that you claim is not nice....keep the coop far away from that side of the yard :))

Good Monday everyone!

Back
Top Bottom