Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

any turkey can get blackhead from chickens..

TerriO,, my SIL made stroganof {sp} for us with cow tongue.. she sliced it sort of like large french fries.. to die for deelicious...

I am thinking of getting rid of all of my royal palm hens and extra toms.. I will keep just one pair.

does your friend want to trade palms for peacocks/peahens ??

I would take the older ones.. but it doesn't matter that much to me if they are young, though..

If they are not India Blue, then I would have to get both sexes..

here is a picture of my raised pen./
it is partially complete, but you get the idea.. this one has a ginseng drying rack for the floor.
it measures 4 ft x 10 ft and is about 30 inches up to the floor and another 36 inches high from the floor to the roof..

If I made another one, I would make it 4 ft x 8 ft.. It is too hard to catch birds in such a long pen.. they always run to the opposite end and the net doesn't reach that far..

this size easily handles a dozen turkeys until they are 13 weeks old..

turkeys can eat anything a chicken can. sounds like a song.. anything they can do we can co better..

you should not put young turkeys on ground where chickens have ever been.. up until about 13 weeks old, turkeys immune system is not very developed.. Your pen is plenty big for 2 meat turkeys..

if you can, build a raised pen off of the ground to start the turkeys in.. I keep mine in such pens until they are 13 weeks old..

turkeys are not wanderers.. they hang very close to their food source.. so they are ideal for free ranging..

hope this helps..
How big should the raised pen be to hold them until 13 weeks?

ETA: lol I should have ready further. Thanks sounds like I can handle that :)

Last edited:
Quote: we were typing at the same time..

Keep in mind that you will be using this pen for other birds and for various reasons.. breeding pens , or isolation pen, or etc etc.. so don't make it too tiny..

I have lots more pictures of the doors on tracks that never jamb or freeze.. all from salvaged overhead garage door parts..

TerriO

I think we were right about that quail, she brings trouble on herself by pestering the others until they peck at her.

How is the cukoo roo?

Good thinking on the beef tounge. make sure you leave the skin on or it will fall apart into mush under pressure. Report back on results please.

I took a pic of my eggs today just cause I dig em and Kristi wanted to know how dark the Marans were. Mostly I like the blue ones because they are the newest addition.

TerriO

I think we were right about that quail, she brings trouble on herself by pestering the others until they peck at her.

How is the cukoo roo?

Good thinking on the beef tounge. make sure you leave the skin on or it will fall apart into mush under pressure. Report back on results please.

I took a pic of my eggs today just cause I dig em and Kristi wanted to know how dark the Marans were. Mostly I like the blue ones because they are the newest addition.

Nice picture!

Back
Top Bottom