Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Ironically enough he went to a Palmer school and lives in my community(which is 25 miles away) but was a crazy fast talker. But my back feels a bit better. Worth the co-pay today! cant imagine hitting museums for next two days with a bad back.
Now to deal with a court of law tonight... yup we were stupid. DIdnt get the postcard last year to renew plates on my minivan and thought nothing about it... busted. So registered it, and going to court to see if they will waive the fine. first time for me in court. Had two speeding tickets otherwise in my lifeime... one a few weeks after my 16th birthday.oh well

hope everyone is enjoying the sun! I sure am

So glad to hear you're feeling better! (Not all Palmer are good but all the good ones I've found have been Palmer)

Yes,
I have had many deer lovers tell me I would love it when they cooked it. I can smell it when I walk in the house. Ugh..

I hear ya. Even had someone swear the teriyaki was beef, but I could smell it. It took almost an hour to get them to fess up.

As for chemical free.......well I raise almost everything we consume. Even over the winter we have fresh salad greens. I can grow darn near anything in a self watering container. But we have tons of natural light in our home.

Getting hungry from reading posts. Have always done all the butchering ( wild game & poultry ).
DW didn't care for venny until we were married. With the kids off to college we can a lot of venny & chicken
to send off to school. Easy & quick and better than anything they'll find in the store.

Less than 7 days before the next batch of meaties show up. snow might even be gone by the time they arrive.

Some people saw my Facebook post about my mom. She is in the hospital right now. She had her second knee replacement end of Feb. It got infected so they opened up the knee again to clean it out. They found the infection went all the way down to the joint, so they had to take out the plastic parts and replace them. That's not the bad part. When she went into urgent care on Sunday they took a culture. It grew out gram negative. If the next round of cultures come back the same, they remove the new knee, leave it out for at least a month, give antibiotics through a pic line at home, then antibiotics for the rest of her life! Gram neg is extremely hard to cure, and is drawn to artificial joints.

The kicker is 2 years ago she had her first knee replaced. Everything was fine and then 9 months later she got a staph infection that turned septic in her knee. So they had to remove that knee for a month. Pic line antibiotics, lots of pain because they actually had to break her leg bones to get it out. But being staph it was curable at least.

So my mom is a nurse and she doesn't let medical stuff phase her. But when I talked to her today she asked several times for as many prayers as possible for a treatable bacteria in there. Thats what I asked for on Facebook. I guess it won't hurt to ask for it on here. Get them in quick! And don't just say you're sending them, fold those hands and say one! (Yep I'm a bit bossy at times)(zip it CC!)

So sorry to hear about your mom's infection! I'm sending prayers up to The Throne Room for her (and you!) now!!

Morning everyone. I've been reading posts but of course forgot to post myself. I have the tracking number to my babies coming, so of course I have been checking it every few minutes. I really wish USPS would update more often! It says they should arrive tomorrow, which kinda stinks. That means I have to drive DH to town so he can car pool so I can have my truck and Fridays are his early days so I'll be up at 3am. I guess it will be worth it though. :) I have 4 brooders set up lol now just have to decide how I want to seperate them. I know the chicks will go into the largest brooder and the turkeys the smallest. But not sure if I should brood the ducks and geese together since they all grow soooooo fast. I still have my week old ducks in a brooder but its not big enough to add 2 more ducka nd 2 geese. I'm needing 1 really big tote or guinea pig cage so I can put all the ducks and geese in one thing. I guess if I have to I can use the tub temporarily. lol Oh well guess I'll play it by ear.

Oh and on a side note, I love venison ( except the ribs, it taste funky). Venison Burgers are awesome .

Last edited:
Making venison stew today........ I have this thing about venison: I hate it. It tastes terrible to me. I am trying something different though, I soaked it in some salt water and I 'hope' I have gotten every scrap of fat and silverskin off of the stuff.
fl.gif
I marinade the stuff for days to get the gamey-ness out. Then cook it like steak. I didn't like it growing up, but my folks didn't marinate and it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the welcomes!!! One more question for now. Does anyone in my area want to sell me a couple/few high quality (non hatchery) laying hens, or perhaps a nice trio of 2 hens and rooster. I will consider any breed, but I know I don't want Leghorns. I am partial to BO's and Buff Brahmas? I am going to be waiting until August for eggs from my babies and that's a long time... They can stay in a very large horse stall until the coop is ready.

Lisa
I am going to be getting rid (free to good home) 3 hens this spring....they are not pure breed if that is what you mean by "high quality". However, one is 2 years in july and two 1yr this month (all lay). They are the last of a standard/frizzle project......BCM Frizzle and Lav. Amer. Frizzle.....Dark brown and blue eggs...Gillett WI

R Berry........if you do build something of size you should have concrete...sounds like your DH knows what he is doing. Watch the concrete prices..... 25x18 should only run 1600 to 1700 tops in your area.

Lockdown today...I can't wait
yippiechickie.gif

Good late morning! Darn CassieD(I think it was anyhow) got me ducked into Pinterest this morning! All over a cool looking chicken roost!
WOW--this thread is really hopping! I wish the lady I talked to in Appleton would join us....myabe she found chickens for her kids somewhere else.
Sap is once again boiling...carefully! The tree is dripping like a faucet. I am hoping to have MUCH syrup this year. Funny thing, I never really liked Natural Syrup growing up. My Aunt always had it for our pancakes when we went North to visit her. I will always remember when my brother dumped so much on his plate; (I think he thought it would be thicker like Aunt Jemima!) and my Aunt told him he either had to have more pancakes to soak it up or drink it off the plate before he got up. I think he sat there for nearly an hour eating that syrup (and gagging) Perhaps that is why I had a problem with it?
th.gif

Deli--the smell that you say from the venison must be a common thing. Not just from Venison but from anything a person doesnt care for. My daughter can walk into the house and smell cilantro immediately if I have even used a little bit. She is the same with curry. My other daughter can smell mushrooms! I dont know, it all smells good to me! Now put an onion in a pan with some EVO and sute and my son is down from his room in a flash asking what I am cooking....and now my tummy is rumbling!

The quail I picked upfrom Hurley didnt cook in the brooder last night so it must be OK. H&R--I will message you later to get yours! OMG the mail is here already...I better GIT!
Have a great day and soak up some of that 52 degree sun!
wee.gif
wee.gif

TerriOwatchingthecatwatchingthequailshadow'sonthebrooderbox

(PS) I vote YES for venison sausage...we could have a smokehouse taste test too!

Back
Top Bottom