Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Somebody is getting pretty big!

And somebody else has ditched their clothing.......

Heading to UW today, and picking up some ground rabbit along the way. :)

First we strain ours when we put it in the pot for boiling, using one of the wool filters that we had originally bought for maple syrup.

Second, we filter it using the same type of filter, as we do the final boil.

After that we do not filter again, when it's light in color there's not that much sediment.. and we are ok with a small amound of maple sand at the bottom of our bottles.

When the syrup is dark in color, we let it cool and let the sediment settle to the bottom. We then pour off the top part, the best we can, reheat and bottle. Again it will leave some maple sand at the bottom.

We use to filter it at the end with the wool filters, but you just lose too much of the syrup that way. - we only make anywhere from 2 gallons of syrup to 7+, depending on the year, the amount we have left from the previous year, and our energy level at the time.

Hope this helps.

First we strain ours when we put it in the pot for boiling, using one of the wool filters that we had originally bought for maple syrup.

Second, we filter it using the same type of filter, as we do the final boil.

After that we do not filter again, when it's light in color there's not that much sediment.. and we are ok with a small amound of maple sand at the bottom of our bottles.

When the syrup is dark in color, we let it cool and let the sediment settle to the bottom. We then pour off the top part, the best we can, reheat and bottle. Again it will leave some maple sand at the bottom.

We use to filter it at the end with the wool filters, but you just lose too much of the syrup that way. - we only make anywhere from 2 gallons of syrup to 7+, depending on the year, the amount we have left from the previous year, and our energy level at the time.

Hope this helps.

thanks, will have to look into a wool filter as well and maybe try both this one and the one Jim mentioned.

Do you find that straining the sap before boiling helps? We usually boil down to just about ready and then let it cool and pour off but there is always some sediments in the jars....it's still very good!

Good snowy morning! That is what I was going to suggest with thy syrup...letting it settle and then reheating. There is not that much sediment in my jars. The chickens like it added to their scraps...it's all good!

I think she feeds it to her cats (the rabbit) but I guess it would taste like chicken...LOL! I hope BL4 is picking it up at a butcher shop...not off the road!
sickbyc.gif
Although that would be a good way to do it...hmmm, is that what you are using the meat grinders for?
ep.gif

I wanted to comment on something else I read...it was way in the beginning of the last days' posts. Cant remember...cute pic Deli! I liked that link you provided too. I took a look at some of the industrial stuff they had for sale...I just wish they posted the price range.

Guess I better head outside and do some chores. I will take the camera and get a shot of the chick that hatched a week ago...remember when that broody left the eggs? There was another hen in there that took over and I got one chick.....4 dud eggs and when I tossed them they must not have been fertile...nothing but yolk! Of course the ones that originally were chilled at day 10 were all developing!

Have a good one! TerriO

Urgh. Another couple of pages of catching up done now. Why do u guys always post so much (rhetorical question, don't answer!)?!

Had quite a fall of big and completely wet snow yesterday in the north part of town. Drove to the south side to a friend: nothing but sunshine!!! And I came there with about an inch of snow on my car. What a riot!

Nothing new here but another cold day in the 20's. Not liking this temperature roller coaster at all! One can really go bonkers in this. SOOO looking forward to the predicted 40 this Sunday, but if that will happen?!?

Heading out now for some errands, getting some groceries (one needs fuel to stay warm. Anyone say chocolate?) and returning some books to the library. Sunny right now but that wind...!

Read u later and stay warm!

is that ground rabbit as opposed to air rabbit ?

spending a lot of time on the phone today with nurses from different Drs' offices.. they can be so dense when they only half try..
all I am trying to do is get somebody to call my new prescription over to the VA clinic.
I know they can do it because they have done it several times for me in the past..

I keep trying to tell them that I can't just walk into the VA clinic and tell them to give me a prescription..

Then after several phone conversations, the nurse says, " say, why don't I send a note to the VA and tell them what we want"..
Huh ? What ?
Ya think ??
geeze, I wish I would have thought of that ..

Marlene got her incubator problem figured out so she won't have to bring it over for me to work on it..
she is still reluctant to use duct tape.. most people are that way .. oh well..
..........jiminwisc............

Back
Top Bottom