Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Poor chicken mom is going nuts over turkey chicks making it through the wire... so put some poultry fencing up and she is much calmer and Gary swears he heard her say "Thank you"... they are eating like crazy and have such huge feet like a chick on steroids.... Going to take DH to the brewer game tomorrow for father's day... Rain in the forecast so thankful there is a roof... We will be right behind the dug out... spent way too much $$ but its his day he deserves it after all these years putting up with moi...Jim I am trying my potatoes in a huge plastic tub this year they are growing like gang busters and I can see flower buds already, could use a little rain down here. Have a great Dad's day all you dads!

Jim, I have no idea about buckwheat honey. More common in the dakotas? Its the one plant I think you could spread on pavement & it would grow. ( works well on my sandy soils )
This person has a lot of hives, and can talk for hours on all the types of honey you can produce based on whats blooming. My Wife owns a coffee business.
I'm a soils guy....so I use buckwheat to build organic matter & for weed suppression...of course the chickens love it as well.

And Jim, just a note on the side:
All duck eggs are supposed to take 29 days, besides Muscovies. They gotta be different and take 33 days.
It has been awhile since I did duck eggs.. and then it was Muscovys .. and I thought it was in that realm of time..

I do have 8 duck eggs in the hatcher right now.. I have them due on the 16th,, they belong to a friend of mine.. Other than not being Muscovy, IDK what kind they are .. and truth be told, I forgot what day I set them,, My friend gave me the due date ..

.........jiminwisc.......

MomGill, I have a 12 x 25 ft sort of greenhouse,, the sides and roof are framed up. but I have not covered it with anything yet.. It has wire sides.. well anyhow,, I did not plant anything in it this year, so that is where I put my 60 pounds of seed potatoes.. I spaced them about a foot apart each way so basically the rows are a foot apart and the plants are a foot apart..

I tried the straw method many years ago, but the chickens raised heII with them,, they scratched all through the straw and a lot of the potatoes had scratch marks on them,,

last year DD#1 did potatoes in a tub.. she ended up with one HUGE potato.. It must have weighed 3 pounds.. about half as big as a soccer ball ..

Kisdare, I planted buckwheat at the end of my old garden for weed control.. I had some ducks at the time,, they really loved that patch.. the next year when I tilled the garden, the end where the buckwheat was , was so soft and light.. it was noticeable when I got to that area, the tiller just sank into the ground....

Sandi, I don't think I am going to Wave's shindig tomorrow.. Annie will be coming off of a 24 hour shift and I should hang around in case she needs advice about anything.. like pulling the plow, mowing the lawn, cleaning the chicken coops,, and stuff like that,, You know,, women's work..

Last edited:
Yup, all duck eggs are supposed to take 29 days til hatch, besides those Muscovies... Didn't mean to reprimand you or anything Jim.
idunno.gif
Sorry if it came across that way.

FrenchToast, here are a couple of pics of my old duck house, that's in use now. It is now green though, as SO was having an urge to paint...lol. Hope you like it!

This is the side door (with vent) that opens up for easy cleaning.

From the front with the drawbridge door not attached yet

And the open roof (we put a holding stick on it too). My gang in front, still being young...
love.gif

All is/was being built out of pallets that SO got for free at work. Our yard looked like a big pallet yard for a good while, but it's wood you can use in all kinda of things, plus it was FREE! Can't beat that! We built a storage shed, he started a car port (hasn't done anything with it besides the walls), a dog kennel with house and all our pheasant pens are built out of pallets, wrapped in chicken wire with wire roofing. Oh, and a patio addition to his brothers trailer.

There is a couple pic of the pheasant pens.

Yup, all duck eggs are supposed to take 29 days til hatch, besides those Muscovies... Didn't mean to reprimand you or anything Jim.
idunno.gif
Sorry if it came across that way.

FrenchToast, here are a couple of pics of my old duck house, that's in use now. It is now green though, as SO was having an urge to paint...lol. Hope you like it!

This is the side door (with vent) that opens up for easy cleaning.

From the front with the drawbridge door not attached yet

And the open roof (we put a holding stick on it too). My gang in front, still being young...
love.gif

All is/was being built out of pallets that SO got for free at work. Our yard looked like a big pallet yard for a good while, but it's wood you can use in all kinda of things, plus it was FREE! Can't beat that! We built a storage shed, he started a car port (hasn't done anything with it besides the walls), a dog kennel with house and all our pheasant pens are built out of pallets, wrapped in chicken wire with wire roofing. Oh, and a patio addition to his brothers trailer.

There is a couple pic of the pheasant pens.

You didn't come across like that,, I might learn something yet if I'm not careful..

Back
Top Bottom