Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi Hildy...Welcome from Crivitz.

Cuties, that's a happy thought. Maybe it will eat a few mice from under there before it leaves.

Forgot to say this morning....I have mater and raspberry envy! You guys are blessed.

The outward things I have noticed :). I was wondering about feed requirements and types of breeds, things of that nature. Sorry for not saying that.
http://www.purelypoultry.com/heat-hardy-chickens-c-154_252.html

This site has a list of some breeds that may do better in heat. I see most are "sold out" but you could at least use it as a reference for some heat hardy chickens.

As for feed I would go to the local feed store to see what they have and do some comparing. Compare the different brands to even what it would be nutrition and cost wise to make your own.

Since it is hotter there you'll have the fun task of finding ways to keep them cool. There's all sorts of ideas on this site from frozen water bottles, frozen watermelon, and even frozen scrambled egg.

Good luck on your down south adventure.

Thank you. I as of now have real good shade, for them not so much me :) . The humidity vs the cold is a toss up, both last just as long.

Hi All
frow.gif

Been super busy around here. I've stopped by a few times, but wanted to catch up on the goings on before posting. Good to see new peeps
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the Cheeseheads.

Kristip: hope things are going well with the new job. Did you resolve your respiratory issue?
Jim: always enjoy pics of your projects. Oh and the pic your last post left in my mind of the fff medical convoy was a great end to reading 200+ posts. It still gives me a chuckle
lol.png

Bigzio: I will keep your daughter and her husband in my thoughts, may the keep safe while doing such important work.
Cindlady: If we wanted to gather for a day in the more southern part of the state, those of us in the Madison area are about due for another gathering in Paoli.
Cscratch: I hope your tests go well.

Now the reason for my post . . . other than to stay in touch. Calling on all you chicken gurus. Out of the four RIR chicks Kristip hatched for us this spring she thought one may be a roo, but it was only a day or two old at the time. We are now thinking she was spot on, but I would like your opinions.

Thanks in advance, now I'm off to meet friends in Highland for a fff buffet . . . YUM!!

I had so much fun watching her show BBP!!! As usual your birds were beautiful!!!!

I bought 2 Salmon Faverolles pullets to sell (if I can keep from falling in love with them) with the extra cockerels I am sure that I will end up having!!! Does anyone know if feeding them medicated feed at 5.5 months old will help them build up an immunity during month long quarantine, in case there is still Cocci in my soil?

good afternoon,

I have worked myself into a tight spot, timewise,, I poured a couple of more feet of sidewalk onto the new sidewalk,, extended it beneath the gate to the chicken yard.. now I am waiting for it to harden, and I have to shower and leave for town before 5:3o

I might have to finish the concrete early and hope nothing walks over it..

.........jiminwisc........

So today was one of those days were I couldn't seem to get much done
barnie.gif
did some paperwork this morning, ran out of gas so unable to finish cutting grass and moving the cart for cleaning pens(the 2 house rabbits need to be cleaned out).....DD and I started sorting through the birds and picking those who will stay- at this point we have 7-8 cockerels/roosters who are staying for now and finish growing out. Not sure on the hens/pullets yet- we know that there are ones that won't be staying but not sure of how many yet, they are still good egg layers.

We should have some quail eggs hatching on Sunday- 19 possibilities- they are interesting to watch- we made a couple of closed hatching trays so they don't fall through the racks. Thinking that my peas eggs are not going to hatch- removed 3 and have 2 left. We just picked up 2 more eggs from the pen today- not sure if we will retry again.

Trying to find DD some more Welsummer chicks so we can continue working with the breed - we are down to 2 hens now
sad.png

Have a good evening, off to try and get a few more things done

Back
Top Bottom