Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey,Packer fans!
Still a newbie here. This is my 1st time raising chickens. I have 12 hens and 1 rooster,all born May 1st.
They were laying about 8-9 eggs a day until last week. Like somebody flipped a switch,now I get 1 egg a day,and yesterday 0.
I heard/read they lay less in colder weather,but is this extreme change normal? It's not really cold here in SE WI yet. I just want to make sure there is not a problem.
Thanks for any help.

Hey,Packer fans!
Still a newbie here. This is my 1st time raising chickens.  I have 12 hens and 1 rooster,all born May 1st.
They were laying about 8-9 eggs a day until last week. Like somebody flipped a switch,now I get 1 egg a day,and yesterday 0.
I heard/read they lay less in colder weather,but is this extreme change normal? It's not really cold here in SE WI yet. I just want to make sure there is not a problem.
Thanks for any help.
Lack of daylight is your biggest enemy right now. For a hen to properly cycle she needs about 14 hours of daylight Perhaps supplemental lighting to boost hours of light would help you!

yup, lack of daylight,, minimum of 14 hours needed..

cold is not that big of a problem,, I had 100% laying when it was minus -20F ..
then you have the problem of frozen eggs.. collect them several times per day and that takes care of that .. If you are lucky, you might have a hen or two who like sitting in the nest,, that keeps the eggs from freezing ..

don't worry about giving your chickens too much light.. I keep my light on 24/7 ..
I know, I know, you will read that it stresses the chickens.. I don't notice such a problem..
the chickens will sleep when they get tired.. I have seen chickens sleeping outside in broad daylight in the summer time..

..........jiminwisc..........

Fish Fry Friday....baked swai filets and baked potatoes with fresh slaw from garden carrots and cabbage.....it will be good like always...Suzies cousin was here trying to give heads of cabbage away....he said it's sad that I can't give it away. I grow enough for my needs....next year if anyone would like some, it's always available here for $1 per head, from the local growers.

Worked with the pole pruner a short while....unbelievable how long it takes to clean up after.

Thanks cuties... hope all you workin folks have a great week end....not that the retired don't work...we just are able to enjoy life to the fullest everyday, and are thankful for every moment.

Stay safe...bigz

Thanks for the tip! I have a lamp that I kept on them when they were chicks. I'll try putting that in the coop tomorrow.
it does not take a strong wattage light,, a 20 Watt would be sufficient,, I have a LED 60 in mine,,
they are not supposed to burn out .. we will see ..

I read somewhere that the light of a candle is enough,, but don't use a candle, too dangerous..and they don't last long anyway ..

Hi All!

Some people say they use a small string of x-mas lights for extra light.

My vinegar is to the "bubbly" stage.

Baked some apple crumble, yum.

Night All!

good fall morning,

kicked Annie out of bed at 7 to make a pot o' coffee.. it always tastes better early in the morning if somebody else makes it..

gotta gas up the pick-up and go get 30 bales of straw..

no other plans for the day..

..........jiminwisc...........

Sounds like a nice easy day Jim. I'm go. A have to change out my straw in the next few weekS. Headed to Wausau today with the wife and mother in law to do some shopping and maybe find a new toy that goes bang. I been itching for a new gun for a while now

Gentle Evening here finally. Been a windy blusterly day here all day. Ended up taking another fence off another garden for winter storage. Glad that event is over for another year.

It sounds like I found a source for straw here too Jim. The Amish up the other road here are posta have straw for $3 a bale....we will see if that's the case here next week. No Sunday Sales.

My daughter was here and said there were deer standing by the driveway when she arrived....yep the acorns are everywhere this year.

Peace and quiet is nice....bigz

Back
Top Bottom