Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

It's that time of year when farmers are bailing hay. I would like to know what is a safe nutritious option for my chickens here in wisconsins? I would like something to supplement their during winter and I heard alfalfa is not safe.

I had a 'Jim' day today......

Up at 6:30 so I could have my fasting blood draw and thyroid check at 7:30. Hit the local cafe for an awesome potato pancake breakfast afterwards.

Stopped at the eye doctors office to settle the bill and pick up youngest DS's prescriptions for glasses and contacts. Everyone in the office had to come out and say goodbye and good luck. They suggested we all drive up once a year for our annual exams, then we would not need to find a new eye doctor.

Once I was back home I started working on the house again, caulking all the gaps with the trim. Then at 11 it was time for me and the youngest DS for haircuts. More goodbyes and well wishes from the salon.

Started on the exterior of the house after the hair appointments, scraping and sanding off all the loose junk. At 1 it was back to the doctor to discuss my lab results. A quick stop at FF on my way back home and back attacking the nasty paint. DH came home from work and after a quick power nap (he was up at 3 am for work) he came out and took care of the second story window for me (I hate ladders). By the time dinner was ready, all the exterior trim had been scraped and primed.

Tomorrow we get some color on the house.

good morning,
raining here, I was going to pour some more cement.
will go out for breakfast instead.
I like potato pancakes, but it is so hard to find good ones at a restaurant.
I like to make my own.
hint: do not run the potatoes through a blender. it makes them too fine and the cakes get mushy ..

why is alfalfa not good for chickens. ?
I guess I have been living dangerously for the past 40 or so years with my chickens.

ever since I signed onto this byc, I found so many things that I have been doing wrong.
it is a good thing that I got rid of all my chickens..eh?

I raised hundreds of cornish X's and never had but one or two bowed legged ones.
never had any just drop dead with heart attacks, and I fed them all finely ground oats and corn ,, 50/50 ratio..
I even start them out on it when they are chicks. I don't do the granulated feeds.

dealing with 3 people who want my 2 female puppies. first $$$ gets them,,

.........jiminwiscgoingforbreakfast........

Re-shampooed the carpets today. The new cleaner is amazing!!! Dry in about an hour. Once I saw how dirty the old cleaner had left the carpets I had to rewash them. Caught up with laundry and dishes. Started some new ideas in the dd's room. And got a bunch of grocery shopping done. Also got some girly stuff for the daughter's hair. She has never liked me doing anything with her hair and last night she asked if we could get a curling iron!! OMG am I in trouble. Would you all start taking up a collection for the bail money I am going to need once the boys start noticing her? Well I think I will turn in and get ready for a repeat tomorrow. Night all.

Re-shampooed the carpets today. The new cleaner is amazing!!! Dry in about an hour. Once I saw how dirty the old cleaner had left the carpets I had to rewash them. Caught up with laundry and dishes. Started some new ideas in the dd's room. And got a bunch of grocery shopping done. Also got some girly stuff for the daughter's hair. She has never liked me doing anything with her hair and last night she asked if we could get a curling iron!! OMG am I in trouble. Would you all start taking up a collection for the bail money I am going to need once the boys start noticing her? Well I think I will turn in and get ready for a repeat tomorrow. Night all.

A lady once told me that boys are easier to raise. you have to worry about only one "thingy", with a girl you have to worry about every "thingy" in the county

Wyo...what is the DH fishing for? That's important information you know?

We only make gallons and half gallons of fridge pickles...they keep for years and are super crispy and easy peasy to make. We do half gallons of slicers and gallons of the wedges. Never could find a canning recipe for dills that produced crispy pickles.
Prolly put some of that corn on the grill Jim. That's my favorite way to make it, especially if it gets caramelized some.
Lawn needs mowed again...dang waste of precious time cutting that stuff.

bigz
DH is out on the bay this morning, trying to catch some walleyes. He was not a happy camper when we went out on the bay Friday. The sonar unit is not working properly on the boat. As is par for the course now-a-days, the unit didn't come with an instruction book so he searched the internet last night but couldn't find anything that helped.

I would like to try to make pickles some time. My mom made some of the best pickles; I have her sweet/sour chunk recipe, but haven't tried it yet. She died when I was 9, and my stepmom doesn't make pickles (that seems so wrong, she's Mom also). She confessed that she never helped with the canning, cooking, gardening and such. She grew up on a small farm, but never had much to do with any of it. She gathered eggs and fed the chickens and brought the cows up from the pasture for milking, but never had to help milk.

Gotta try to tame the garden some today. IF nothing else, get a start on getting it ready for next year. I have some really poor tomato plants with a lot of green tomatoes on them. Maybe some compost spread around them would help?

My 2-year old compost pile is ready to be spread on the garden to sit for the winter. I will till it in next year - or would it be better to till it in now?

DH is out on the bay this morning, trying to catch some walleyes. He was not a happy camper when we went out on the bay Friday. The sonar unit is not working properly on the boat. As is par for the course now-a-days, the unit didn't come with an instruction book so he searched the internet last night but couldn't find anything that helped.

I would like to try to make pickles some time. My mom made some of the best pickles; I have her sweet/sour chunk recipe, but haven't tried it yet. She died when I was 9, and my stepmom doesn't make pickles (that seems so wrong, she's Mom also). She confessed that she never helped with the canning, cooking, gardening and such. She grew up on a small farm, but never had much to do with any of it. She gathered eggs and fed the chickens and brought the cows up from the pasture for milking, but never had to help milk.

Gotta try to tame the garden some today. IF nothing else, get a start on getting it ready for next year. I have some really poor tomato plants with a lot of green tomatoes on them. Maybe some compost spread around them would help?

My 2-year old compost pile is ready to be spread on the garden to sit for the winter. I will till it in next year - or would it be better to till it in now?
I have a Garmin locator. It is not user friendly. I had trouble with it years ago.
I sent it to the factory and they fixed it
for me, FREE, and they also updated it
to match the newer ones. It was not
under warranty either.
funny note, the factory is in Arizona.

I really don't know which is best.
I like to work the garden up before winter, but I don't always get to it.
....jiminwisc......

Beautiful Wisconsin day today for sure!
Yep, gardens are a seasonal thing, with different results year after year on the same piece of ground. I always try to improve the soil every year...that helps a lot...the weather is a factor as well as how much time you spend their improving the situation for the plants and seeds that were giving a chance....my harvest is always satisfactory....joyful at times with certain crops....keep working...the effort is always showing it face at harvest time!
I dug 7 yukon gold plants today..the harvest was a full half bushel... prolly the ten to one ratio that is expected here.....the skins were less than perfect...that ticks me off, because I prefer the skins on my spuds...always....some peeling will be needed on those....I still have russets to dig...they are still growing...my first dig of reds, resulting in a bushel and half of perfect skins there. Just keep a close eye, and things will turn out better...sometimes in the garden...

bigz

good evening,
the days are sure getting shorter.
I had Kalib help today. we poured the last big section of the concrete in was less time than I could do it by myself.
he did all the mixing. I wheeled, leveled it off and floated it.

just 8 bags left to go for the last short section. I can handle that by myself.

had two people come in the past two days to dig blackberry plants. must be that time of year.

the mystery chicken is back. she was in the coop this morning.
i just can't seem to be able to get out of the chicken business.

dealing with the computer service from hell again today. took over a half hour to get online this time.

.......jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom