Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Fish Fry Friday here again....hoping everyone is staying warm and collecting eggs often. Closed the pop hole last night for the hens and again tonight to keep the cold air from rushing in on the floor. I still have a couple windows cracked for ventilation.

Have fun...bigz

Around 8-10 inches here....
F244CBCF-9EC4-4DD9-8DEC-35B5F25092A6.jpeg
F4EE40BF-BA4C-41AE-A438-0962224EE5DA.jpeg

I'm happy the snow missed us so far...just a mere 1/2 inch it looks like...only 8 above, so it's out the door with soft water and a check for eggs. The wood furnace is more thirsty than it has been...prolly have to fire one more time daily with the colder temps.

bigz

I cleaned the pellet stove and got that going again. It has been 3 days without it running. The furnace will keep the house warm, but the pellet stove makes it comfy inside. I need to download a book and just prop myself in front of the fire and relax - BUT I had to go to work to finish up a project htat is due on Monday.

I don't know of anyone off hand, but I will do some checking for you. We had geese as a child and they would come back very spring and fly away for a couple months in the winter. I don't think they went to far maybe just over to the river but it was nice to see them come back. They were more accurate than the robins.

Welcome to the cheeseheads nich! I'm also not in position to help with the needed gander.....I would pursue looking for one without the mention of a wild one.(even though I love the story) I believe you need a wi game farm license to keep a wild one...not a real big issue, but the DNR is fickle at best in regards to these issues...I would be careful. I have held the license for years, but no longer hold one. Good Luck...you should be able to find one with a little more searching.

Big kettle of bean soup cooking today.... a lot of ham and veggies....

Keep warm...bigz

So it happened. I have been keeping a close eye on the girls today not knowing what to expect being the coldest day yet. My one hen has black tips on her comb. Their coop is 50 warm due to the sun but they don't want to go in where it's warm. I know there is nothing I can do about the frostbite but I feel so bad, like I failed them, do I physically have to lock them in the coop on these cold days?

Nope...don't feel bad, but I think the frostbite is caused inside the coop from the moisture created by the flocks breathe, due to ventilation issues. It's one of the biggest issues and is hard to deal with depending on coop size, and number of birds...etc.... Single combs will be a problem, and is why small combs and waddles perform the best here....it simply happens, and really takes a lot of attention to ventilation to prevent. Simply look at the frosted windows inside the coop....even though I work at perfect ventilation, I've yet been able to accomplish it. Keep a close eye, as you have, and do the best you can. Winter has been mild here really, compared to some years.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom