Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Give props to Jim, he had a lot of great advice.

I am not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but we put rubber roof coating on the floor and up the walls to waterproof the wood.

The nest boxes are not attached to the wall either, so we can remove them easily when cleaning. We use the rafters of the roof for storage. I have the eaves stuffed with burlap bags packed with leaves so there was some insulation from the wind this winter. As soon as we continue to have warmer temps I’ll remove them so the coop is well ventilated.

The light on the exterior is a solar motion light purchased off amazon.

Eventually I would like to add a screen door to the inside of the coop, to have a barrier when they rush the door.

That is a good idea.
I had some liquid bed liner left over from doing my little pickup truck. I smeared it all over the top of an old truck I use for storage.
It had pin holes all over it. So far it has lasted over 20 years.. My how time flies..
today we gotter done ..
20200519_153556[1].jpg

I took this pic from the tractor seat.
Now I can start cutting up wood for the green house.
........jiminwaUSAu.........

that is the plan. the snow will be deflected 4 feet away from the building.
with one pass I can push the snow out of the way. won't be even close to the building.
wait until you see what I am going to do with the green house.
today I measured the cement mixer. It will fit nicely under the roof between the doors for winter storage.
I use the cement mixer for mixing up potting soil and such.. occasionally for concrete, too.
....jiminwaUSAu.......

what kind of mixer did you get ?
I have a Husky, It has an electric motor attached directly to the gear box.
this morning I put some dirt into it and started it up. whoops, I had the drum turned toward the side, not in line with the wheels.
It tipped over . had a few seconds of panic while trying to unplug it.. LOL
lesson learned..
mixing soil in it does no harm. sure beats a hoe in the wheelbarrow.
the drum rinses out clean with no effort.
If you want to scour the drum, toss in a few shovelfuls of sand and a bit of water..
the secret to a clean drum is to wash it between batches. never let any bit of concrete dry on it..
same with a wheelbarrow.
.....jiminwaUSAu......

ETA I mixed up a wheelbarrowful of soil. finished potting the peppers and one lemon grass.
74F and sunny. can I complain that it is too hot ?? LOL

Last edited:
Mystery Solved! The white chick is a Light Brahma. I called the hardware store and told them I thought I grabbed a Buff but it was white with black. The chick is larger than the others, so it was definitely not a bantam and the hardware store didn't have any bantams.

All the pics of your chicken coops are awesome. We have to be out of here in less than a week and Don still hasn't done anything. I have a UHaul rented for 28th and 29th and been making trips to the shed to put stuff in it. I am exhausted between work and here. I am trying to pick up as many extra hours as I can. We have an option to buy a Coachman 5th wheel camper. Price is good but needs alot of cleaning before using. Not sure how Padre would feel about it but it would be way better than a tent. Still trying to figure out the cat situation and a set up for the chicken and chicks.

Work is wearing me out with trying to get stuff done around here too. I did text the landlord and said I would pay for 1 more month so that I will have time to also get it cleaned up.

at 11AM we had about 15 minutes of gentle rain.
at 4PM we had a storm go just north of us. here the sun never quit shining.
Annie turned on the AC . I don't need it down here in my basement man cave.. below 70F most of the time.
In fact , I had to turn off my heater because it kicks on below 70F..
my cherry tomato has several blossoms.. that should make Annie happy.
.......jiminwaUSAu.....

It has been too wet to start our garden. Weather is always nice when we have to work. Now the next 5 days we have to concentrate on moving stuff out and figure out what goes over to Padre's house. Have not even set up the tent yet.
I really didn't want to look at the 5th wheel coachman because Don said I would say no right away, however he convinced me to look. OMG!! What a pig sty! Mice have been chewing all the paper that was left in there, mountain dew bottles everywhere, couch in bad shape, the camper stunk when Don opened the fridge and the list goes on. I would rather sleep in the tent then clean that crap.

Back
Top Bottom