Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Lots out outdoor winter prepping here too. All the gardens are tilled and covered. I heard cold and lots of snow too this winter, though I hope not, I guess I don't have much say in it. :gig

I can and preserve as well, to not only process the extras that we can't eat fresh but to help cut down on the costs of having to buy at the stores.

Lots out outdoor winter prepping here too. All the gardens are tilled and covered. I heard cold and lots of snow too this winter, though I hope not, I guess I don't have much say in it. :gig

I can and preserve as well, to not only process the extras that we can't eat fresh but to help cut down on the costs of having to buy at the stores.
I have almost all the winter preparation done except our camper. I heard that we are excepting a cold and snowy winter to(i hope not)

Well hope we get some snow not the 20 below zero stuff.
I switched out pulley on my antique single hole hand sheller. Actually switched a pulley on a old electric motor i have. A delco bendix washer motor, maybe it came from a wringer washer. :D
So I powered my hand sheller. the motor is a 4 pole 1725 rpm and I have the speed reduced to 68 rpm. Old stuff just not made to go fast.
my trial run it works...one of the belts is slipping some on the larger ears, but just give couple pushes it goes.

Anyway this old hand crank sheller I bought many years ago somebody somewhere put pillowblock bearings on it and a 1/2 inch shaft. I call it a jackshaft. Looked like someone had run a motor on it.
I used this handy dandy website, ever deal with pulleys. Helped me out. If you ever have problems with belt sizing and do not want to do the math, this site helps with that also.
https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.

TOR, I had a similar app for pulleys and sprockets.
I used it when I was building chicken pluckers.
How did you get from 1725 down to 68?
multiple pulleys?
I switched from pulleys to chain and sprocket
for the last couple of pluckers I built. No slippage.
I dropped from 1725 down to about 190 using
chain and sprocket.
Yes JVL 4 pulleys and 2 belts. Motor 1.5 inch 1750 rpm, to 6 inch pulley (with belt) on 1/2 inch jackshaft or separate shaft, other end shaft is 2.5 inch to a 11 inch. 2.5 and 11 inch have belt

TOR, I tried out your formula app and came up
with 98 rpm . I worked it out mathematically,
my way , and came up with the same ..
this morning I caught squirrel number 14.
each time I catch one, I think it is the last one.
there is one grey squirrel hanging around, but
I think his home is across the field in the woods.
today we hope to get the lawn mowers stored.
was going to do it yesterday, but company
showed up. If any company shows up today, I will
put them to work. lol

Hey JVL your right, I forgot to reset the motor speed when messing with the website. I had to go back and check. My Bad.
Does not seem like it is going that fast.
I still have my book from school with the formulas, I just use the web site.
It works fine at 98. I can remove the 2.5 inch go to 1.5 inch and get 59 rpm. A 1.5 pulley is 5.50 at ace.

I replaced a different belt and no more slipping on the big ears.
After I do a few pales of ear corn I spray the oil holes.

I have about 300 lbs of shelled corn. Prolly not use it for awhile.

well TOR, as long as it works without flying apart.
that's what counts.
300 pounds is a good amount with one of those
shellers.
I got the lawn mower , tiller and chicken plucker
into the lean to today. I have one more rider to put
in there after I do a little work on it first.
for a quick general answer, I divide the big pulley
by the small pulley. 6 divided by 1 1/2 equals 4
then take the motor speed and divide by 4 .
1725 divided by 4 equals 431.25

Back
Top Bottom