Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hugs and wellwishes to Bigz!
hugs.gif
Thanks for the heads-up Jim. Glad things are alright. Where would we be without Bigzio?!?

Ok, I need to rant a bit. My inlaws want to help me build a bigger coop, and help financially too. Great, right? They drew up some plans, I have some plans; neither of us likes the other's ideas.
roll.png
I know they mean well, but I just dont want to raise birds the way they did, or even how my dad does. I am set on having my flock on range in a floorless, portable hoop-style coop; they think a permanent house with a concrete floor is the way to go, at least for this year. They really do help us out in a lot of ways, I'm just feeling like I'm being told what to do. We have very different philosophies when it comes to what good food is; they see nothing wrong with store eggs/chicken...
sickbyc.gif
I'm hoping DH will help me at least get started on my design before his folks visit in early June. I don't like when my ideas are poo-poohed.
hmm.png

otonoh, sooooo sorry about your lil' chick. It's always the favorites, isn't it?
sad.png
She had the best shot with you, I know.

David so sorry to hear the bad news! We were really hoping she would stay the runt and your favorite for years. We both thought she was the coolest of the bunch. No matter their status in your heart it's never easy. Thanks for giving her a decient resting place. On to good news. The field manager called last night their going to try putting a dike in on the other end of this ditch and installing a temp diesel pump and pump the water into a ditch a half mile behind us. If it works they'll install a permanent elec pump. He was worried that if he opened the ditch to the hwy that the state still might not clean out the ditches and we would still be flooded and his field would still be wet. Their also going to fix a bad spot in a big ditch from the cranberry marshes that causes the flooding in the first place. They figure to be pumping water late this aft.
celebrate.gif
Jim thanks for the info on Bigz ! I was starting to wonder/worry what was going on. Made me think it's a good thing he still has his fingers. At least he can feel his way up the neck of a tall one to get it to his mouth!
gig.gif
Hope he doesn't chip a tooth with the loss of depth perception.
lau.gif
Hope you heal up fast good friend! Amyable think your right about getting YOUR plans started but think about it, a nice coop with a concrete floor. You could always do your idea too! More chickens!
lol.png
Susie"J" sounds like the dog goes home with them.
lau.gif
Raim you made lol at the dog barking at the car! H&R it does sound like you need a day off soon! TO good job with the 4H plus all the other good deeds you do, don't know how you find the energy or time. Headin to woods this morning good thing it's gonna be nice. I've got maybe 2 days worth of wood left. Enjoy the spring day!

Last edited:
Done with chores this morning and glad today is my day off. Have to head in in a bit and do an OFA clinic for the Great Pyrenees specialty in Oconomowoc, but that's the only real plan I have for the weekend other than picking up some mulch and flowers and maybe a couple trees. Grew up on a farm and this weather is pecking at my brain, "It's time to plant, it's time to plant, it's time to plant!" Got a lot of acreage to beautify over the next couple decades, figure if I do a little every year, some day I'll have the place looking good.
big_smile.png

This year I want to plant a cherry tree, some flowers, get the pine trees mulched, but the most important goal is to find a pussy willow to plant over my dear old Maggie's grave. She passed away this winter at the ripe old kitty age of 19. My first cat, Joey, was killed when I was young by a dog pulling her through the window where she was sitting. She was placed in the backyard of my Mom's home and a pussy willow over her. That tree, now 20 years later, is a remarkable tree, absolutely lush, gorgeous, robust. I think of her every time I see that gorgeous tree. Maggles' deserves the same. She went through college and all the internships/residencies following with me. Starting life as a 5 week old spitting, hissing ball of barn cat fluff, she moved from a Iowa to Phoenix to Indianapolis to Des Moines to Chicago to Wisconsin with me and never missed a beat. That litttle 8 pound sweeting was death on mice and could run off the biggest tom cat you've ever seen with nothing more than bravado and a shriek that could raise the dead. With people, though, she never met a person she didn't love and was many times a demo cat from anything from ultrasounds to bandaging practice for the interns to exam cat for kids to listen to heart sounds, etc. She spent 3 years visiting abused children's homes and nursing homes and would walk on leash from room to room to the delight of many. She will be missed and thought of fondly every time I see that tree.

The last shot I got of Maggie this fall:

Maggie.jpg

Quote:
Here is what you do.. now pay attention.. Let the inlaws build you their little castle.. just make sure it is as big as you can make it,,, say,,,,, so that it can handle a small herd of goats or a horse,, (in the future).. after they go home, then build your tractor..

Hurley, your photo and caption gave me a start!!! I was reading these posts from the back to the front.. I thought Maggie was the little tyke , not the cat.. then I scrolled up and read the post..

Hurley,
hugs.gif
Your Maggie was beautiful! A memorial tree is wonderful. We are doing that with all our pets. I 'planted' my cat Jerry under an apple tree a few weeks ago (he died this winter too
hit.gif
) I am going to get a special bit for our dremel tool to etch names into stones, and make little headstone markers under each tree.

Thanks Jim and DrH, why turn away a coop? I'd be crazy, wouldn't I? If nothing else, I'll have one heck of a brooder
tongue.png
It's just rather irritating to hear your plan is bad because of this, and that, and this...

Nice day, finally. get out and enjoy!

Amyable, they are old school.. probably grew up on a farm where the chickens were allowed to roam with plenty of space..
and then into the coop for the night..

Chicken tractor? what th'hell is that? this is a new concept for them..

You know how old people are.. LOL

IDK about cherry trees, but you have to plant two plum trees if you want any plums.. I have always had two cherry trees, so IDK if one alone would have had cherries..

Back
Top Bottom