Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hello Sunshine!

I brood in the basement as well. It is 60. I use a brinsea on one end and a red bulb on the other for the first few weeks. During good weather (40 normal) I brood outdoors after day three.

Air flow with out drafts is good. Sun shine threw a basement window is good. Heat source they can get out of. Plastic bins work great for the first week or two. Than it is hard for them to escape the heat in a small area.

Even in cold temps a mom will take young out for sunshine. They are never far from a heat source if they need it.

Insulation is not necessary.

Last edited:
Oh my!!!! Thank you so much for the photos!!!!! I thought I was on the right track!! LOVE your setup!!!

I'm so excited now!!!!
Hello Sunshine!

I brood in the basement as well. It is 60. I use a brinsea on one end and a red bulb on the other for the first few weeks. During good weather (40 normal) I brood outdoors after day three.

Air flow with out drafts is good. Sun shine threw a basement window is good. Heat source they can get out of. Plastic bins work great for the first week or two. Than it is hard for them to escape the heat in a small area.

Even in cold temps a mom will take young out for sunshine. They are never far from a heat source if they need it.

Insulation is not necessary.

Th

Ohh myy deel I SH!! :):):) I'm so jealous! Can't wait till April;-) so many beautiful babies. Maybe we could get a tour

you're going to think I'm crazy everybody but maybe I should let my husband talk me into eating some of our chickens. Then I could just get more those cute little babies... No I'm not there yet.
I am very embarrassed to admit that I still buy chicken inthe store... I'm sure you guys will have a lot to say about that lol

Dust Dust Dust..... Can't believe how much dust chickens make. I'll never Brood in the basement again.... NEVER! It worked out well as far as the chicks staying healthy but ... my god, the dust! LOL

Anybody know how long it will be before I can reasonably assume I have fertile eggs if I just introduced the Roosters today? I do know about the bullseye in the yolk...etc. Just curious...

Picked up Two Roosters today from Vicki (CC's Friend).  I "think" they are a Dom/Buff cross - Help me out CC

I got them home and they crow in harmony... LOL  one says Cock-a-doodle-doo while the other one crows Cock-a-doodle-wah.  The "wah" is about 8 notes down from the other's crow...  It's really funny.

They fell right into the flock just fine - so far....   Will keep you posted.

Hey Tomski, canyou actually tell what a rooster is by his crow?

Hey Tomski, canyou actually tell what a rooster is by his crow?
LOL I can tell that he is male vice female but as far as what kind of chicken it is... Maybe Jim can....
bow.gif
I can't.
wink.png

I just thought it was cool that they crowed in harmony....

Last edited:
Don't worry about it Cuties, I still buy chicken in the store because I have to (and I have never butchered a chicken in my life). I know the technicalities of butchering a bird, and thankfully I have a hubby who does have experience in such things so I have him to give me a hand when it is finally our time to raise our own!

Upshot of the Vet visit: they were VERY surprised to see my kitty as perky as he is (so this tells me they were pretty sure he was going to go downhill completely). His liver panel was still higher than normal, but it is going DOWN
wee.gif
. His K+ level is low, but that is expected since he is still not eating BUT he has gained a few ounces!
wee.gif
! We are still not out of the woods, and I am still thinking the other shoe could drop at any moment, but I will try to keep a positive outlook. The Vet is going to see him again on Friday for a check-up and again on Monday next week to do another blood draw and check his levels.

I had better run, I think the University is going to think I am NEVER coming in to work today!!!!

Dust Dust Dust..... Can't believe how much dust chickens make. I'll never Brood in the basement again.... NEVER! It worked out well as far as the chicks staying healthy but ... my god, the dust! LOL

Anybody know how long it will be before I can reasonably assume I have fertile eggs if I just introduced the Roosters today? I do know about the bullseye in the yolk...etc. Just curious...
It takes 25 hours for an egg to complete the journey. You could have fertile eggs by Wednesday.

• From the time an ovum leaves the ovary, it takes approximately 25 hours for the egg to reach the vent for laying. During that time period, the yolk will grow larger while being surrounded by albumen (egg white), wrapped in a membrane, and encased in a shell. Pigment is deposited on the shell as the last step of the egg production process.
  • If sperm is present, the yolk will be fertilized before the albumen is deposited. (So tomorrows eggs might not be fertile.)

Ohh myy deel I SH!! :):):) I'm so jealous! Can't wait till April;-) so many beautiful babies. Maybe we could get a tour

you're going to think I'm crazy everybody but maybe I should let my husband talk me into eating some of our chickens. Then I could just get more those cute little babies... No I'm not there yet.
I am very embarrassed to admit that I still buy chicken inthe store... I'm sure you guys will have a lot to say about that lol
do not be ..many do not eat chicken unless it is wrapped and stamped. Many have them just for eggs and still others have them just for pets. You have to do what you feel comfortable doing.

Back
Top Bottom