Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Thanks CC I do have a brooder pen that I need to clean out and get ready-then move her over if I am going to try it. I am hoping one of the seasoned "moms" goes broody (heck they spent most of last summer/fall sitting) What I did last time (except LF hen) was put them in brooder area for the first few weeks, then moved them out into one of the main nestboxes when they were a little bigger. However, my flcok is almost double what it was then and i have a GL Wyandotte whos a bit of a bully to the lil cochins.

I have never heard of a roo raising chicks-how adorable!!! Was he in with LF also?

I think CC's Jack has his own private accommodations! She gives him the babies after the Mom is through with them. (so he gets to deal with the "teens")
he.gif

I dont thin chickens really care what they are raising! You have all seen the pics on FB where the hen sits on kittens or puppies---right? They just want to be Moms. GIve them something to mother. I have had banties raise ducklings, ducks raise chicks, hens raise a mixed bunch of guineas, ducks and chicks and geese raise ducklings....bottom line, they dont care! Put her in a safe place and give her the babies (preferably during the night) and cross your fingers---most times it works!
HT--TerriO

Wow Terri, you're up late!
ep.gif
You are correct. When I give Jack my chicks, they are not very small chicks. Depending on the weather decides their size/age when he gets them. And I have him in my breeding pen/brooder/grow out/injured area when he has chicks. Right now he's in there with Moose, Stella and the rabbit (the bowling ball one).
wink.png

Since you are getting them in 2 weeks, Ang, & seeing how nasty our weather has been, I'd be more inclined not to put them out in the coop at the very least until they're fully feathered out, IF they do not have a broody taking care of them. If they do, just put up a little fence to section an area of your coop off to keep the bullys out. Just make sure it's bully proof. You don't need to come home to any suprises, especially when they're really small.

Thanks Terri 0 do you think the L f will be more aggressive towards the chicks when i integrate since its a mini mom? I think this Bantu will stay broody as she been making that funny throaty noise for weeks and now glued
to box for past week.

Hi All!

Thanks JJ I think she's pretty too. I think with the SLW you may have a boy and a girl
roll.png

Flocks... Thanks for the pics! Yep, mine are pretty muddy too! LOL As for the Toms I'm hoping I can do some switching around this weekend. We'll see. The one hen is broody that is in with the Tom who "know what to do". She's just staying in a semi partitioned part of that pen so I think she'll be OK with the other Tom. Jeeze I'm going to have to Figure out how to remember who is who! LOL Anyway, The Breeder Tom can go in with the other hens and "get bussy" .

Jim... Hope the eye doc went well.

TO... That last chicken/roo? looks like a Yeti! LOL

BigZ... We plan on eating turkey, it's just the Lady I got these from made me promise These wouldn't get eaten! LOL So... we will eat the kids LOL.

If you think about it... it's for a roosters best interest to "take over" a brood. That way any pullets will get in the habit of fallowing him around and trust him. He has an ready made harem. The cockerels will see him as the leader and less likely to pick a fight later.

OK... Time for bed.... Night All!

Question:

I have a mixed flock of bantams and LF. I will be getting chicks in 2 weeks and the only broody hen I have (imagine that!) is a banty cochin. Has anyone had sucess in letting a banty raise LF? Will there be more problems with the other LF going after the chicks since its only a banty mom?

KJGoodman: I realized after I posted, that I remember talking to you in another forum awhile back!!! Nice to know there are more of us over on this side of the state. And I would still like to plan a chicken potluck for over here this year!!! Just would need to figure out a cental enough location.

I have a bantam Cochin in my garage right now that I just keep putting babies under. She had a duck to take care of the other day (till I sold it). I let my bantams raise LF all the time. As long as you can get her to take the chicks initially and you have them separated long enough so the babies can defend themselves it will be fine.

I don't think we are gonna have a Spring this year. I think we are gonna jump right into summer! At least the Sap Collectors are having a good year and the fruit trees should produce a lot better than last year...

I'm hoping somebody will have a few chicks/hens to sell at the swap this year. I keep debating whether to by a few at TSC and put them in with my broody Golden Orp and cross my fingers.... or just wait....

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Tom
cool.png

Very few hens take older chicks, males seem to do better with older chicks. I don't know why. I have slipped extra chicks under a hen after she has hatched out a few, but the chicks are only days old, not weeks old.

For broody hens, I have put fake eggs under them and at night, traded the eggs for chicks. some of the time that has worked. I have also woke up to dead chicks. Some hens do it some don't. Right now I have an Orpington who has 4 chicks. Only one is hers. I gave her 3 more chicks of someone elses when she squishes her own. The other hen left her chicks at 4 weeks of age and they are now all in with the Orpington. She does not really like these chicks and knows they are not hers. But so far they are all still alive.

I have had them be good one time, and horrible the next. I have a male Muscovy who loves baby chicks and would probably raise them for me, but he kills other animals when they get close to the chicks and he runs the chicks over to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom