Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I'm new into the chicken and egg business - what is the "egg seller number"? We only have 7 big girls and 4 bantams for now and I mostly sell to the people I work with, but we are going to be increasing our flock once the permanent coop is built so I will be increasing my customer base.

the number is assigned to you IF you meet state regs on selling eggs off of your farm property. You need an approved "separate" work area for washing, candling, grading, dating, and packing. The # allows eggs for sale off your premise i.e. farm markets, restaurants, stores and allows the retailers to "resell" those eggs.

google for WI state ag regulations and you can find specifics and a # to call in Madtown

the number is assigned to you IF you meet state regs on selling eggs off of your farm property. You need an approved "separate" work area for washing, candling, grading, dating, and packing. The # allows eggs for sale off your premise i.e. farm markets, restaurants, stores and allows the retailers to "resell" those eggs.

google for WI state ag regulations and you can find specifics and a # to call in Madtown

Thanks so much - I'll check out the State Ag Regs. So far we're ok, but this is good info for the work area in the new coop. Hubby is a carpenter - I'll add this to my list of "needs", the design lends itself well for the "work area".

So glad I found this Wis Cheesehead group
woot.gif

Thanks so much - I'll check out the State Ag Regs. So far we're ok, but this is good info for the work area in the new coop. Hubby is a carpenter - I'll add this to my list of "needs", the design lends itself well for the "work area".

So glad I found this Wis Cheesehead group
woot.gif

you're welcome,
just to let you know, I sell 75doz+ a month direct at the farm, I deliver a few of those to some customers in town that use for their own consumption. I plan to double my production this year and hope to stick with the same plan. Once you get involved with the state you have other considerations, more permits, insurance, inspections,,, yada yada yada,,,,,just sayin'

I am back again,, 6 down and 14 to go..

I would not be too anxious to check with the state until you are really serious about selling eggs.. If you check with the state, do it incognito.. once they get zeroed in on you, it will cost you money.. it takes a lot of eggs to cover all the permit costs etc and yada yada yada..

we are just about ready for our Easter meal.. late lunch,, early supper..

the guy with the eggs still has not called,, I left a message for him,, I don't believe this .....

my young friend called a few minutes ago.. wants to buy about 5 laying hens and some hatching eggs..
I will just give him the eggs.. I have no pure breeds sorted out yet..

........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom