Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I am going to be getting rid (free to good home) 3 hens this spring....they are not pure breed if that is what you mean by "high quality". However, one is 2 years in july and two 1yr this month (all lay). They are the last of a standard/frizzle project......BCM Frizzle and Lav. Amer. Frizzle.....Dark brown and blue eggs...Gillett WI

R Berry........if you do build something of size you should have concrete...sounds like your DH knows what he is doing. Watch the concrete prices..... 25x18 should only run 1600 to 1700 tops in your area.

Lockdown today...I can't wait
yippiechickie.gif
Gallus,

I should probably specify a little more. I really want to find breeder/show quality. I don't want bantams, silkies. When it comes to polish I am unsure. I think they are pretty cool, but concerned about their ability to see predators in the air with all those feathers in thier eyes. They do sound really interesting though. Can they see, or do they have really large poofs on their heads? I'd be concerned about them free ranging if they can't see well. Looks like you are about 1.5 hours drive from me. If you have some pictures you can post or send them over via message. Thanks so much for responding :)

I noticed when I cut the meat up, there was almost no odor at all so I am optimistic.

I did some digging online on how to kill the gamey flavor. Lots of soaking in various liquids. Beer, salt water, buttermilk, and combos of the three.

We are venison lovers here. I never cared for it growing up though. I do think the taste and smell of it has a lot to do with how it's handled and processed. Quick, clean and cool make for great meat without any off flavor.

Stopped at our feed mill today and see they had chicks. I asked what they had and it's something new from Sunnyside. They call them Sagitta. It's a cross of a broiler rooster over a red dual purpose hen. Not sure how those will do, of course they are .25 more than the other chicks too.

Love the pics of all the cute chicks and ducklings!

Said a prayer for your mom BF4.

TO - I should have warned you about pinterest!

Sounds like we should bring along some of our venison garlic summer sausage and snack sticks for the bash. We have ours processed at Custom Meats here in Marathon.

Looks like DH is in the market for a new tractor. Wants to sell our large John Deere and small Ford and get one compact one instead. Saturday morning we will be heading out to take a look at one at a dealer in Nekoosa.

Delisha just wanted to let you know Mr Blackfoot has taken little Charlie under his wing to teach him about roostering. Charlie is still a small little guy, and next to Blackfoot he's a midget, but they are now pals. Blackfoot doesn't let his ladies pic on poor Charlie, and last night when we told the roosters to take their ladies in Blackfoot went back out to find Charlie. It's cute. The only thing he won't do is let Charlie mate his girls.

Good morning..!!
50 today and sunny..going to be a wonderful day!!
I am emptying out a coop and cleaning the garage today..
:gig
Not a dumb question at all..
They are two brothers that split up..they are basically the same store.
You snuggle your chickens?
I said a prayer..
everyone needs a few silkies..

By snuggle I mean grab and inspect while they are sleeping.

Have you thought about finding an old school bell?

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Lots of posts to catch up on--you all are a chatty group.
My husband and I live on 35 acres in Dane WI, just north of Madison. We have three young kids, a couple of horses, 16 hens, one cat, and an ancient yellow lab. We bought 13 hens and a moveable coop a few years ago, and added some Easter Egger chicks along the way. Raised some delicious White BB Turkeys last summer. Adding some new layers and a group of meat birds this spring.
Happy to have connected with some other chicken fanatics from our area... We are in the country, but it's pretty urban around here so there's not a lot of people interested/obsessed with chickens in my circles of friends!

Back
Top Bottom