Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Regarding FF: I just to clarify when I said to cover FF-I was refering to when using LAB FF.
smile.png

Lacto Fermentation: When using LAB (Lactic Acid Bacteria) you want to keep it covered. (Lacto Fermentation is usually anaerobic (not open to air) This is beneficial for digestive tract, immune system and B K2 vitamisn and enzymes.
Alcohol Fermentation: When using Acetobacter bacteria converts alcohol to acetic acid which is the main ingrediant in vinegar, thus it is aerobic (open to air) and would not want to cover it.

When using Lacto-Fermentation, ACV is not an appropriate starter culture, as the culture in ACV is acetobacter bacteria which converts alcohol to acetic acid and is not a lactic acid bacteria. There are other benefits to using ACV with LAB though. (Such as if you ever smell you ever smell yeast/mold you can use small amount of ACV to bring the pH level down -Tbsp per 2 gals.)

Both practices have benefits, even just soaking food overnight allows easier digestibility and weight gains compared to dry feed. (And yes alot of this was taken from urbanchickenkeeping.com LOL but I also went out on the web and comfirmed/read about this).

Its all quite easy:
If ACV: couple tbsp of ACV with mother to a 5 gallon container uncovered.
If LAB, a couple Tbsp of yogurt or buttermilk with live culture to 5 gallon container covered.

This is just me yapping as I am excited about the whole FF and want to share, and not meant to disagree or step on toes! (Judis disclaimer!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification ladies, wasn't dure what I missed, had so many posts to read, I got confused I guess.........
Irish is she one of the hens you got from me? I know you renamed a couple??, anyway been catching up on my sleep in this dismal weather......argggg I know we need rain, but shitte Mother nature could take a break for a day or 2 I have work to do outside........... its been raining at a good pace here for 2 days, my almost dry ...dry lot is a slurry of mud again that sucks the boots off me every time I go out to feed the horses....yucky....Plus now they are kinda mad that they haven't been turned out in there field in 2 days, so they don't tear it up......

Speaking of horses BBP, when worming your very large critters, if they are not desensitized to the wormer, just add it to some oat meal and molasses, or if ya give grain add it to that the molasses covers the taste and at least they get it inside where its needed........ PM me if ya wanna know how to get them to take it from the tube....
So anyway Best get the critters there lunch and the kids too....... later Kim

I sure was envious last weekend reading the posts of everyone prepping for the bash. We haven’t had our camper out since buying our new place two years ago. I definitely plan to join in the fun next year, I felt like the kid that didn’t get to go on the school field trip ….
hit.gif

Ok I need more of that great chicken wisdom. We set the dozen eggs under our “mom-to-be” Delaware on the 16th, so if all goes well we should have chicks any day now. Since my only chick experience has been with meaties I have a few questions:
  1. Do they need special vaccinations?
  2. Should I add anything special to their water? With the meaties I added sugar for the first couple of days . . . was that just because of potential dehydration?
  3. We feed our layers organic, but picked up a small bag of Nutrena Naturewise Chick Starter on sale, has anyone had experience with this feed? I plan to put a little feeder and waterer in the brooder box w/mom and chicks. She currently has a little dog dishes of water and feed, but we will remove the water dish to avoid drowning. I assume mom will drink from their waterer too?? She and chicks will be confined to the brooder box for the first several days. Once we move the box to the floor of the new coop they will all have access to a small run where they can see the rest of the flock but not interact yet.
WHEW . . . sorry for all the questions and long post, and sure glad to have so much experience to tap into

U guys are horrible!!!!!

They dont taste good at all! Besides their MINI rex. Wouldnt be worth the effort. Maybe I should jack up the price so nobody gets any bright ideas! You would all make poor sydney cry again!
:'( :'( :'(

Too sad on those "free range" chickies. I saw a video on the smart phone once. Its so inhumane.
lol..I was teasing..just for you..I knew you would freak out about eating your rabbits. I would never purchase from you because i know you would have nightmares about my feast!
Regarding FF: I just to clarify when I said to cover FF-I was refering to when using LAB FF.
smile.png

Lacto Fermentation: When using LAB (Lactic Acid Bacteria) you want to keep it covered. (Lacto Fermentation is usually anaerobic (not open to air) This is beneficial for digestive tract, immune system and B K2 vitamisn and enzymes.
Alcohol Fermentation: When using Acetobacter bacteria converts alcohol to acetic acid which is the main ingrediant in vinegar, thus it is aerobic (open to air) and would not want to cover it.

When using Lacto-Fermentation, ACV is not an appropriate starter culture, as the culture in ACV is acetobacter bacteria which converts alcohol to acetic acid and is not a lactic acid bacteria. There are other benefits to using ACV with LAB though. (Such as if you ever smell you ever smell yeast/mold you can use small amount of ACV to bring the pH level down -Tbsp per 2 gals.)

Both practices have benefits, even just soaking food overnight allows easier digestibility and weight gains compared to dry feed. (And yes alot of this was taken from urbanchickenkeeping.com LOL but I also went out on the web and comfirmed/read about this).

Its all quite easy:
If ACV: couple tbsp of ACV with mother to a 5 gallon container uncovered.
If LAB, a couple Tbsp of yogurt or buttermilk with live culture to 5 gallon container covered.

This is just me yapping as I am excited about the whole FF and want to share, and not meant to disagree or step on toes! (Judis disclaimer!)
That website has tons of great information. Tons of great articles too.
No toe stepping..it is good to find additional information..many people like information.

feeding FF. The biggest thing you will notice is your pocketbook. They eat less, since they need less to get the nutrients. The second thing ....Take pictures now..and in three months of your birds. You will visually see a difference in your birds. Your chicks will grow like weeds on less food. When they molt..they do not look as *scraggly*. Your feather health will improve and the coop will not *stink*. Great for raising meat birds. You do not walk into a room full of stinky slimmy poo or have it all over your grass. I have never had Cocci since I started feeding FF. People seen my new fat chicks. They were day olds and two day olds and fat fat fat. No dry food all over the ground for wild birds to attract, so less chance of other health issues. Less waste means more savings. Excitement is good. Education is good.

Last edited:
I sure was envious last weekend reading the posts of everyone prepping for the bash. We haven’t had our camper out since buying our new place two years ago. I definitely plan to join in the fun next year, I felt like the kid that didn’t get to go on the school field trip ….
hit.gif

Ok I need more of that great chicken wisdom. We set the dozen eggs under our “mom-to-be” Delaware on the 16th, so if all goes well we should have chicks any day now. Since my only chick experience has been with meaties I have a few questions:
  1. Do they need special vaccinations?
  2. Should I add anything special to their water? With the meaties I added sugar for the first couple of days . . . was that just because of potential dehydration?
  3. We feed our layers organic, but picked up a small bag of Nutrena Naturewise Chick Starter on sale, has anyone had experience with this feed? I plan to put a little feeder and waterer in the brooder box w/mom and chicks. She currently has a little dog dishes of water and feed, but we will remove the water dish to avoid drowning. I assume mom will drink from their waterer too?? She and chicks will be confined to the brooder box for the first several days. Once we move the box to the floor of the new coop they will all have access to a small run where they can see the rest of the flock but not interact yet.
WHEW . . . sorry for all the questions and long post, and sure glad to have so much experience to tap into
I have used Naturewise. If I might make a suggestion..take a 2 cup of the dry feed crumbles and add water to it. Make it like runny oatmeal consistency. Feed about 1/2 cup a day and keep the leftover on the counter. Just add feed and enough water to keep the grains covered. Wet feed is great for new chicks. Feed that to the chicks and mom. I do make my own electrolites or they have dry packages you just add to a gallon of water. Great for chicks, and many use it.

Delisha, I know ;-)

On the ff, ive been doing it with all of the chicks. Terri checked it when she was over. Said it looked very good.
But then it got this really fuzzy white film on top. I got so worried that I killed sleepy. I dumped it.

I want to ferment, and have done lots of reading on the natural thread. Im just afraid of it going bad and me not knowing. I know to check the smell... but to said it smelled good... it has always stank to me.
I switched to dry again. And now im going through food like crazy again. And I even have less chicks in the brooder. I just worry because we had 2 girls get mold poison when we didnt realise our bags were sweating...

Back
Top Bottom