Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I talked to Marlene, (the guinea lady) who gave me this rooster a few years ago..
she just told me that it was a Rainbow.. she is ordering some from a catalog this spring.
I think this old boy is about 6 or 7 years old..

......jiminwisc.........
Well he sure is pretty. I've seen hatcheries lump a group of breeds together and call them a rainbow, as like a group, but I haven't seen them as a full on breed.

Good morning!
Cc, nice kitty pics!
Miss, my sis raises meaties. (Sorry cc) I don't lime it either. I can talk to her if you like. Or forward her #.
Jim, whatever that rooster is, he is perty.

Hey Jim,
A Crested Cream Legbar, (in essence, a barred Leghorn) lays a bluish egg and is sex linked with males having two barring genes, females having one, so you can discern their gender at hatch.
A Rainbow chicken is a hatchery coined term allowing them to market a breed for any number of traits, (depends on what hatchery your doing business with). Years ago, there was a hatchery marketing "Rainbow Layers" which in essence, were nothing more than a line of Americaunas that had been selected to lay beige, pink, blue, blue-green, green, green-blue and olive shades of eggs. I've even saw one hatchery that sold Rainbows simply under the guise of mixed breed chicks. It was a one year offer, so my guess is someone forgot to close the gate to the breeder pens.
I suffer from CRS too, though some days are worse than others.
smile.png

Kind regards,
Kevin

Hey Jim,
A Crested Cream Legbar, (in essence, a barred Leghorn) lays a bluish egg and is sex linked with males having two barring genes, females having one, so you can discern their gender at hatch.
A Rainbow chicken is a hatchery coined term allowing them to market a breed for any number of traits, (depends on what hatchery your doing business with). Years ago, there was a hatchery marketing "Rainbow Layers" which in essence, were nothing more than a line of Americaunas that had been selected to lay beige, pink, blue, blue-green, green, green-blue and olive shades of eggs. I've even saw one hatchery that sold Rainbows simply under the guise of mixed breed chicks. It was a one year offer, so my guess is someone forgot to close the gate to the breeder pens.
I suffer from CRS too, though some days are worse than others.
smile.png

Kind regards,
Kevin

Kevin,

Have you had any experience with Crested Cream Legbars? I'm looking for a blue egg laying breed (CCL, Ameraucana, Aracana) but have no experience with any of them to know which one I should be seeking out. Any suggestions!!

1876 Farm (which is not the year of my birth
lau.gif
)

to my untrained eye, they look very similar.. the comps and tails are different.. but my rooster was very young when I took this picture..I should go take a closer look at him ..

Marlene sent him here with a batch of roosters for me to butcher.. I switched him for a Buff Orp of mine. without the feathers they all look alike, right ? I have since told her what I did.. she is fine with it..

this is the rooster that I bred to a few red star hens.. I just wanted some meat birds to butcher..
I collected 84 eggs and hatched out 80 pullets.. You never saw such a rainbow of colors as that batch of chicks..

I figured they would be good egg producers since the hens were red stars.
So, I went on craigslist and offered the 8 to 10 week pullets in trade for any age rooster.
One lade came and bought 35 of them right away.. all the rest I traded for full grown roosters.

now, you want to talk about a rainbow flock of roosters ?? I had about 15 breeds and cross breeds ..

I kept a real nice looking barred rock for breeding,, only to have the colored rooster kill him in the spring after living together all winter..

that colored rooster has killed about 4 roosters ..

I always had plans to breed him again, but I don't have any red stars anymore..

........jiminwisc..........

Hey Kevin, did you look at the Maremma video posted a few pages back ? Bigzio posted it.. You would find it interesting.. it is only a few minutes long..

only just in your mind, substitute chickens for the sheep it features ..
lau.gif

///////jiminwisc..........

I have a Maremma. He guards the chickens, ducks and rabbits. We have had a few stray dogs and a coyote show up. His size and bark were enough to scare them off.

Back
Top Bottom