Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

geese are not mean.. they can be the nicest pets if you have a little time to hand feed them Even my tame geese do the posturing, if you show dominance they back down. they are more likely to posture when they have a nest. just sit back and think,, what can a goose do to me ? answer: not much,, if you run into a goose or a turkey that acts too bossy, just grab it by the neck right up by the head and lead it around a little bit.. when you let them go, it is a rare one that will get close enough for you to do that again. remember they might chase, but if you do not run, what is there to chase ? ......jiminwisc......,
Well I was 4-5 and their geese weren't chasing but attacking and biting. They didn't have any nests either but they were huge and white.
good morning, lots to do today, but I wonder just how much I will get done . GG72 , not all geese are chasers. No goose is a chaser if you don't run. my geese do not chase.. I have had flocks of as many as 25, and didn't have any chasers.. I guess it is how they are raised.. I had many different breeds. It didn't seem to make any difference.. except the Sebastopols and pilgrims were very shy .. ........jiminwisc.........
Shy geese sound doable I think geese are beautiful and wouldn't mind trying a few out if I heard good things about their breed I just don't want a repeat of that experience as I said they had about 30 and they were all mean.
Any interest in laying hens guys? Mostly $15 each. All currently laying :) pm me for # and details...
How dark does the Marans lay? And I would love to see one of the super blue egg layer's eggs. Is the orp flawed and that's why you said not good for breeding? Jw

Geese can be jerks. I think buff, sabastapol and cotton patch are all known to be docile. Africans, Toulouse and Embdens can be real jerks year round.

I still say that breed makes no difference..
It is how they are handled ..
I had some emdens that would come to me to be petted.
I can understand how a goose looks to a 5 year old child.
they are both about the same size,
and I have also witnessed adults who claim that a goose was "about to chase me".
you cannot say that all geese are not friendly, and I cannot say that all geese are .
I can say that of the many geese that I have had, I never had an unfriendly one.

llllllllllllljiminwisc...........

I once had geese who would nip at my heels if I turned my back on them but that's as far as it went. If I turned around to face them they backed away and looked around at each other as if to say, "What!? It wasn't me. Did you see anything?"
hu.gif
I I have had geese do that also, and I had geese nibble at my pant legs, I have also had them nibble at my hands and one particular one loved to pull the hairs on my arm.
If you are running away from them, you miss all this kind of nuzzling ..

I once had geese who would nip at my heels if I turned my back on them but that's as far as it went. If I turned around to face them they backed away and looked around at each other as if to say, "What!? It wasn't me. Did you see anything?"
hu.gif

Hmm lots of food for thought about geese. Let's see I mean I do have a two year old nephew and another on the way, some little cousins and a couple small nieces so maybe in the future I'd give them a try but I would still keep a close eye out for any signs of aggression. Like I do with the cockerals we raise. Looks like I'll be doing more research and putting more thought into it before I decide.

Jw, the Marans is for sale because she does not lay as dark as she should. I purchased birds from a breeder last year claimed to be from show lines, and it is not the case.
The Chic Orp has a flawed comb and a tuft on the top of her head. If your interested, my son is selling his trio of choc. Good quality minus some gold leakage in the cock. All under 1 yr. $75.
Super Blue eggs are ginormous blue and they lay almost daily. I will have to get a picture for you when I go home today :D

Three weeks old tomorrow. In garage, moved to larger cobbled together box this morning. Need to put in a brighter light as it is much higher in this set up. Bodies feathered out, just neck and head left to go.

Back
Top Bottom