Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

We too need to process birds what temp should the water be. I asked my father who has done hundreds or thousands in his lifetime to come help but he seemed reluctant to teach us. In fact his response was "How the heck are you raising chickens and you've never processed a bird?!" Gee thanks Dad that's so helpful. Lol you have to start somewhere and no I've never processed anything I've helped with fish but mostly my job was just de-scaling them as I was quite young and sensitive back then. I'm still somewhat sensitive but I know I could at least pluck and eviscerate them.

DH2B and I want to do a few birds to learn but we can't find a killing cone and we have no one to teach us. Yes we could look it up on YouTube but I would do better having someone teach us hands on. I have read books and seen images but again it would make a bigger impression to have someone there who knows what they're doing.

I kind of wonder if my father doesn't want to because he isn't sure he remembers lol he has been quite citified by his wife from the middle of Rockford. It's always seemed an odd match to me BC she is just so not from the country but he has at least taught her to clean fish.

We too need to process birds what temp should the water be. I asked my father who has done hundreds or thousands in his lifetime to come help but he seemed reluctant to teach us. In fact his response was "How the heck are you raising chickens and you've never processed a bird?!" Gee thanks Dad that's so helpful. Lol you have to start somewhere and no I've never processed anything I've helped with fish but mostly my job was just de-scaling them as I was quite young and sensitive back then. I'm still somewhat sensitive but I know I could at least pluck and eviscerate them.

DH2B and I want to do a few birds to learn but we can't find a killing cone and we have no one to teach us. Yes we could look it up on YouTube but I would do better having someone teach us hands on. I have read books and seen images but again it would make a bigger impression to have someone there who knows what they're doing.

I kind of wonder if my father doesn't want to because he isn't sure he remembers lol he has been quite citified by his wife from the middle of Rockford. It's always seemed an odd match to me BC she is just so not from the country but he has at least taught her to clean fish.
Depending on the size of your birds you could use any construction cone or even a vinegar jug if they're not huge. Sometimes I've had to improvise
1f609.png

We did 76 birds this weekend, rather light this year as they lost a good number to the heat. No killing cone, one holds legs and the other holds head and a cleaver. Block of wood in between..... then they dunk, throw it in the plucker (new addition and it makes the chore much faster) and pass it on to us at the finishing table. We chop off legs, wing tips and the parson's nose and do any additional feather plucking. Then into the first washtub for a clean up and on to the cattle tank for cold water bath. We keep the hose running constantly in there so the water stays well temp.

All killed, hose down the table and start again, this time gutting and cutting. Whole birds go up to the house via the kids in 5 gallon pails to be rinsed again and wrapped. I am on gizzard duty while the men gut. Other wives up in the house for the wrapping and sorting.

Each family custom orders how they want the birds processed. We went all whole this year but other years we have done whole cut, whole cut but 3 backs in another package, wings with bird, wings all together in another package, boned out breast in a package, only thighs and legs in a package... you get the idea. We usually pay our storage fees to our neighbor who keeps our camper in her shed, with chicken. As she is single at home, we may do one leg/thigh in a package size things for her. This year we will do whole ones if she has room in her freezer.

Just remember, many hands light work, and label your packages...

Quote:
I just posted how to scald them a few posts back.

for a killing cone, go to fleet farm and pick up a small traffic cone.. at the pointed end, cut a hole in the SIDE, leaving the end ring in tact . pull the head out through the hole and slit the arteries, NOT the wind pipe.. let them bleed out for about 3 minutes..

put a pile of straw or shavings where the blood will drip to make clean up easier..

If you plan on cutting the chickens up later, do it earlier.
take the legs off, wings off, neck off.
now take a scissors and cut down each side to separate the back from the breast.. open up the chicken and then remove the guts.. should be able to gut a chicken in about 2 minutes this way .. much easier than dragging the guts out of the hole in the back..

remove anything that you don't want to eat.

don't forget the kidneys.. they are nestled next to the spine. sort of a caviar looking gunk. they are held in by some tough cords. but just slide a knife through the cords and use your finger to scrape out the kidneys..

cool the gizzards down real cold. they will clean much easier than when they are still warm..

loosen the crop, and pull it out towards the rear of the chicken,, it will slide easily through the hole where the wind pipe is/was.

........jiminwisc........

Jim
Thanks for the info, so I will have to buy a big galvnized tub and a turkey fryer, DS has been wanting one anyway. Is gutting a chicken kinda like gutting a deer-I've done that. Anything I should watch out for during gutting?

oh my, after rereading your post, I think I need a video

my intention was not to confuse you.
there are some good u tube videos about cleaning chickens. .

we use the bushel sized plastic tubs you can get at Fleet/Farm.

what to watch for ? ,,, hmmm,,
keep your lips closed so as to not splash anything into your mouth ....
lau.gif

.........jiminwisc........

Back
Top Bottom