Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hello Wisconsin Thread. I am from the Illinois thread, Chicago actually. @chickendreams24 told me someone might be looking for some bantams and I am trying to find homes for a couple of pairs if anyone is interested. My banties just kept going broody on me and I gladly let them hatch out some small clutches. (I am a sucker for broody mamas and chicks). But now, I need to get my #s down before spring, all the boys have begun crowing, so, no crow collars have been put on. Kind of tough living in the city and have 2 Orp roos and 8 bantam boys crowing.

I have 2 pairs of Frizzle black mottled bantam cochins, pullets are frizzled and cockerels are smooth. I also have a frizzled mottled cockerel and a smooth solid bantam pullet pair. I also have silver laced bantam cochin hen, and a split SL/solid cockerel. Not the best pics but you can pm if your interested. Thanks

This is an older pic but shows their coloring a bit better than the others.

This is the boy in the pic above. Pic doesn't do him justice. Both smooth boys are so handsome, wish I could keep 1 but I already have their Sire Max and a son for backup. Max is a Frizzled boy I purchased from City Chicks.

This is the pullet in the 1st pic now

Frizzled and Smooth boys

My silver laced broody mama. I don't have a pic of the split boy at the moment.

Last edited:
Calm before the cold here today. I managed to blow a belt on the snowblower today...you gotta love winter to live here or be miserable like me! I could move to florida for 6 months and be happy.....maybe in the future for me.
Nice banty pics..thanks for sharing them here.

Keep havin fun...bigz

Hello Wisconsin Thread. I am from the Illinois thread, Chicago actually. @chickendreams24 told me someone might be looking for some bantams and I am trying to find homes for a couple of pairs if anyone is interested. My banties just kept going broody on me and I gladly let them hatch out some small clutches. (I am a sucker for broody mamas and chicks). But now, I need to get my #s down before spring, all the boys have begun crowing, so, no crow collars have been put on. Kind of tough living in the city and have 2 Orp roos and 8 bantam boys crowing. I have 2 pairs of Frizzle black mottled bantam cochins, pullets are frizzled and cockerels are smooth. I also have a frizzled mottled cockerel and a smooth solid bantam pullet pair. I also have silver laced bantam cochin hen, and a split SL/solid cockerel. Not the best pics but you can pm if your interested. Thanks This is an older pic but shows their coloring a bit better than the others. This is the boy in the pic above. Pic doesn't do him justice. Both smooth boys are so handsome, wish I could keep 1 but I already have their Sire Max and a son for backup. Max is a Frizzled boy I purchased from City Chicks. This is the pullet in the 1st pic now Frizzled and Smooth boys My silver laced broody mama. I don't have a pic of the split boy at the moment.
Man I just love your birds! The mottled girl and boys and the silver lace girl. Okay drop them off we'll sneak them in lol. ;) I didn't really think I would like the looks of the frizzle so much but that mottled pullet is beautiful!

Hello Wisconsin Thread. I am from the Illinois thread, Chicago actually. @chickendreams24 told me someone might be looking for some bantams and I am trying to find homes for a couple of pairs if anyone is interested. My banties just kept going broody on me and I gladly let them hatch out some small clutches. (I am a sucker for broody mamas and chicks). But now, I need to get my #s down before spring, all the boys have begun crowing, so, no crow collars have been put on. Kind of tough living in the city and have 2 Orp roos and 8 bantam boys crowing.

I have 2 pairs of Frizzle black mottled bantam cochins, pullets are frizzled and cockerels are smooth. I also have a frizzled mottled cockerel and a smooth solid bantam pullet pair. I also have silver laced bantam cochin hen, and a split SL/solid cockerel. Not the best pics but you can pm if your interested. Thanks

This is an older pic but shows their coloring a bit better than the others.

This is the boy in the pic above. Pic doesn't do him justice. Both smooth boys are so handsome, wish I could keep 1 but I already have their Sire Max and a son for backup. Max is a Frizzled boy I purchased from City Chicks.

This is the pullet in the 1st pic now

Frizzled and Smooth boys

My silver laced broody mama. I don't have a pic of the split boy at the moment.

whereabouts are you located? I am near the Monroe/Orangeville Border( 40 minutes from me) and I have family in Naperville. Would love a frizzle cochin hen/pair. super cute. I need bigger bantams and these guys are super cute.

whereabouts are you located? I am near the Monroe/Orangeville Border( 40 minutes from me) and I have family in Naperville. Would love a frizzle cochin hen/pair. super cute. I need bigger bantams and these guys are super cute.

I am on the south side, right by southern suburbs like Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park. I am actually working on size also. I bought my Frizzled roo from City Chick on FB and he has helped increase size. They are always a work in progress.

Last edited:
Man I just love your birds! The mottled girl and boys and the silver lace girl. Okay drop them off we'll sneak them in lol.
wink.png
I didn't really think I would like the looks of the frizzle so much but that mottled pullet is beautiful!

LOL, you are funny. They are adorable, and I like the fact that I actually get smooth and frizzle, its like getting 2 different kinds of chicks from the same hen.

good morning and welcome to Bi-Polar Wisconsin.

If it weren't for the Packers, I would move to a warmer place.

I am going to go behind the garage and see if there are any asparagus seeds hanging onto the plants back there.
I found some online for ten cents each..
I think I just found out how to become rich.
lau.gif

the elderberries are growing nicely, they are anywhere from 2' to 5' tall already.
If things go right today, I want to put some of them into individual pots.

there are some grapes that are budding real good, I will wait a few days before transplanting them into individual pots.

other than this, there is not much else going on.

.......jiminwisc.......

Last edited:
I have some asparagus seeds I can send you Jim...the variety is Mary Washington from sandhill preservation. If they are gone from your plants I'll send them in the mail. I have your addy....they are slow to germinate, but all that I plant comes up. I start 3 seeds per container and plant 10 of those...then transfer to the garden after they grow for a couple months. They are usually root bound by then, but really do well when transplanted.

Days are getting longer now...have you noticed ?....LOL!

bigz

I have some asparagus seeds I can send you Jim...the variety is Mary Washington from sandhill preservation. If they are gone from your plants I'll send them in the mail. I have your addy....they are slow to germinate, but all that I plant comes up. I start 3 seeds per container and plant 10 of those...then transfer to the garden after they grow for a couple months. They are usually root bound by then, but really do well when transplanted.

Days are getting longer now...have you noticed ?....LOL!

bigz

thank you brent,

I waded through almost knee deep snow back to where the asparagus is growing.
Annie said the plants were as tall as her. the snow must have bent them over and covered them up. I didn't find a trace of them.

I will gladly accept your offer of seeds. I will pay for shipping and for the seeds if you want..

I am transplanting the elderberries while I wait for my bread dough to rise.
I counted a dozen shoots.. then after I got a dozen transplanted, I found about eight more, just starting to bud out.. if that is all that I have, it will be about 80% success..

I just hope I can keep them going..

I invented a watering system for the small square pots.
I will take a picture.

I ran out of the pots, so I am resorting to deli one pound containers. had to drill drain holes in their bottoms.

I am going to try to use the tall 2 pound containers for the grapes..

.......jiminwisc........

OK Jim, I'll get them in the mail tomorrow...no problem about the postage or the unused seeds that I didn't use....the wind is awful here this afternoon....nicer in the house than the coops for sure.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom