Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Kokosmom-at least your dog didn't kill the hen. One of our hens got too close to the dog's fence and 2 of my dogs got her through the fence. She didn't survive.
Our dogs are all labs and we've had them since pups, but the chickens just arrived this year so their bird dog instinct kicked in big time.
What we did was put the chicken run on the opposite side of the garage and made it bigger than they need. We wanted to free range, but realized that won't be possible with our dogs. We took the next best option we had.
Since then the dogs can't get at the chickens and we've had no more issues. We've only had the chickens 6 months though. We'll see what this winter brings.
I hope your hen is ok and you don't have to go through that again.
jean
Thanks Jean.
The guy in Middleton that was going to build my coop in May kept postponing and then backed out. I had to find somebody else to build one....it is almost done. Right now they are in a large Formex coop with a small run in my garden that is surrounded by deer fencing. Their new area is 55x45 built with field fencing on one side and deer fencing on the other. The dogs can't get thru it and the chickens can't get out. I also wanted to free range my whole yard, but that isn't going to happen so I too, did the next best option.

The pullet seems to be doing somewhat OK right now. She spent most of the day in the coop but did eat and drink. Tonight she is on the roost with the rest of them

Cheri

Anybody in Genoa city? I cannot find if the village allows chickens or not. I found A thread here about Bloomfield discussing it in June but didn't hear of an outcome.

Another 20 quarts of spaghetti sauce on the shelves. I should get one more batch at least depending on how the weather goes. There are still lots of tomatoes on the vines but I don't know if they will all ripen.

Morning all!!!
Well, summer is "officially" over up here. Drove to town yesterday (that is a real town, not the 2 bars and a gas station ones that are common up here) and the colors on the trees were definitely starting to pop. Last night we had our first hard frost as the northern lights were putting a little color in the night sky. This morning the pup and I will begin cleaning out the kitchen garden, potting up a couple tender herbs, pulling all the casualties of last night's temps in the 20's and getting the bed ready to put next year's garlic crop into the ground. Then we'll just let the rototilling crew (aka the chickens) have at it. They do love their job!!!
Be back later but I just heard the DH go by with the tractor so I better get my old self outside to help. He is putting up my new leanto for my garden wagon and stuff after all. Such a good DH.
BBFN

Sorry shortp, but not familiar with Genoa city.....been all over, but it's not been on the beaten path..so far. Check with the city fathers...they will try to help....some...maybe.
Dae...I need to ask what you are gonna do with all the sauce? one can only use so much...do you have leftovers from previous years
I'm lovin this sunshine for sure!
Bl4....Best Wishes for a fast sale on the wega home....rock on country living with poultry and work after work that never ends.. :eek:

bigz

ShortP, I am relocating to the Lake Geneva area; I bet the ordinances are online... We are zoned for horses but it is unknown about chickens...

Thanks BigZ! T minus one week to the day we close! What a whirlwind of a week this will be! Then on the 18th I fly to the Knoxville TN area for the week! I think I will enjoy to time away for the week; time to relax for a moment before the work of selling the house up here begins......

Speaking of birds; can you have chickens around Black Walnut trees? Like, a lot of Black Walnut trees? Our entire yard is almost all Black Walnut.......

Back
Top Bottom