Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

He got it going. Used it twice yesterday.
20180415_085249.jpg

Brent wins the prize.
they got 30 inches in Tigerton.
20.7 here in Wausau,

way back before I had a tractor, I had an old beat up walk behind Gravely.
I could throw snow over the electric wires along the driveway .

but I couldn't keep that motor running.
too expensive to repair it.

33” in Amherst where the DH is residing with his parents. Iola had 28.5”. Down here in SE WI we managed a few inches of ice and snow.

My mom is stuck at her house until somebody can make it over to shovel her out. Hoping my DD fiancé made it over to help.....

This is the front door at a business in Iola.

1E9A47B6-8B0E-4C91-8A0C-BD953AAE81DE.jpeg

And just to keep the sense of humor going....

5D708BAD-D005-45AB-A274-E99F9D731B84.jpeg

I have a psycho rabbit around here. Someone in town found him running around, very thin with a broken back leg that healed wrong. I took him home and he does not like being caged. So, he just lives in the shed and runs around the yard. BUT he has 20180417_172601.jpg a feather obsession. He used to harass my tom turkey, he killed one of my old hens and last night he got locked in the chicken coop somehow and molested one of my ducks. 20180417_172539.jpg

Hi, I currently live in WA but my family is considering a move to WI. We haven't settled on an area. Hoping to get acreage for under 350k, but not be too terribly far from a bigger city. And for the love of my sanity, not more than 30 min from a costco ;)

We've been looking around Madison, but also have been checking out whats available further east towards Milwaukee. I peeked around the delafield area a bit, because the schools looked really nice (4 kids!) but it looked like a lot of cities in that area were awful about chickens! Like minimum 3 acres to be allowed to have even like, 5. Or not at all. Applying for "temporary licenses". Geez.

I think my husband has a thought of "the more land the better, far from any neighbors that might be annoying/complain if our kids are loud playing outside" while I think i'd be perfectly fine with 1-2 acres and kinda like the idea of not having the driveway be right on a busy road, and being able to walk the dog around a nice neighborhood. we also would love to eventually expand to owning goats, or...??? who knows.

Anyway, would love to hear recommendations for cities to consider or avoid as far as having freedom to have chickens or other animals without too much hassle. I don't like the idea of having limits on how many I can have, or being told i can't have a rooster (not sure if i want a roo, but i dont want someone telling me i cant!) anway, sorry about the novel.. but any suggestions for what area would suit us? chicken (plus goats, or whatever else we feel like) freedom, excellent schools, at least an acre or 2, not too far from a major city/costco?

Check out some of the smaller towns. I am an hour west of Madison just a couple of blocks outside of the town limits here. We have about 30 birds including 4 roos and 3 goats. Our neighbors have about a dozen birds with one a roo. We are on 2 acres. But, don't knock the middle of nowhere idea. Easier to do what you want with what you have that way.

You could move to Western WI and be close to the Twin Cities. We're going to list our house this summer for $325,000 with 5 acres (on the river). You could get into something really nice for that price with at least 20 acres. With absolutely no livestock restrictions. Costco is about an hr from here though. :( Unless there's one in Stillwater. I don't shop there, so I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom