Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I am staying cool. hope the rest of you are, too.
I assume you had a portable band saw com in ? that's what I did with the large oak we cut down at my mother's house.
I also helped cut down a red pine and got the logs from it sawed at a friend's mill.
then a swamp hickory (bitternut) tree broke during a storm so I salvaged a half dozen nice logs from it..
and I cut down two maples from in a friend's front yard and he let me have the saw logs. He kept the branches for fire wood.
many years back, Mom had a large elm cut down from in her front yard. It was over three feet on the stump.. I now wish I would have taken some of that tree and had it sawed into lumber.
I hope you are sawing your lumber plenty thick.. 5/4 at least.. the guy who sawed my oak barely made it 4/4.. sometimes I have a problem getting a 3/4 board after planing it.
too hot to be sawing wood for the next couple of weeks anyhow..
.......jiminwisc......

poplar takes paint very well. I have a friend who made all the casing inside his house with poplar. stained it. was very pretty.
another friend and his brothers built a log cabin hunting shack with poplar logs.

I have a black walnut with wide spreading branches. I am afraid the weight of them will pull the tree down. I want to cut at least two of the branches off. they are not thick enough for lumber, but I can chunk them and use them in the wood lathe.
maybe make some table legs .
.....jiminwisc........

Yep, good idea to save the lumber when you can...we have over 5,000 linear feet drying at Camp right now...mostly white pine and spruce, some white oak and some black ash....the black ash boards are beautiful when planned. Some of the pine and spruce is over 12" wide.

bigz

Love those cute little stinkers!!! We went ahead and got a second skunk kit this year. Luckily the two are getting along. Curled up in the log together at night. I have been trying to get our front flower bed back under control. Our house loan made it through the underwriting process!! We close on the 16th. I am nervous and excited at the same time. Looks like everyone is keeping busy this spring/summer.

Raining here now as I type...coming down pretty good too. Yesterday was a hot one, eh! We didn't have any 90 degree days last year here...up to 6 already this Summer. Really cooling off here for the moment with this downpour.

bigz

Thanks bl4 ...it just passed to the West of us.....Marion had it's siren blasting as we watched and listened to the storm pass almost overhead, but just west of the ridge here....just now the sun popped out....strange for sure, but blessed that it missed us.

bigz

Things are clearing out now, thank goodness!
Tonight it's Venzun loins and large shrimp on the grill with grilled toast and bacon with cheese broccoli salad...is this heaven? Nope just Marion.

bigz

make that grill really smoke , Brent. after the rain the skeeters are really woke up..
I let zeke come in for awhile. the AC does him no good because he is so hyper. He just doesn't have the knack of lying down and cooling off.. He pestered Frankie until she lost it and got nasty with him. then she begged to go out.
he is so funny. as soon as I put the leash on him, a 3 year old kid could lead him anywhere..
Annie went to work. I guess it will be
weiners and beaners for me for supper.

........jiminwisc....

Back
Top Bottom